A Stylist's Guide to Better Salon Experiences (I hope)

Re: A Stylist's Guide to Better Salon Experiences (I hope) -- Kinda Long

Well done! I have to second the part about speaking up the SECOND they are unhappy. Don't wait til the back of your head is shaved, stop her when you hear the clippers! It's your dollar! I always ask to be face toward the mirror so I can watch. They don't like it but oh well.

Wow the stop visting ghetto salons had me:eek: It's common sense, but I used to do it ALL the time! One time I waited over 3 hours for a stylist to see me. If I ever go to another salon I will definitely use your advice. Thanks Balisi!

I have a question about salon etiquette. Okay, let's say you go to a salon and get your hair done, but you are not happy with the outcome (service, style, whatever). However, there's another stylist there that you see who work you like. So the question is:
1. Is it okay to switch to another stylist in the same salon. If yes, how do you approach it.

Ladies, I have had this conversation with many of my girlfriends and its funny because we all feel like we can't switch to another stylist in the same salon. We basically take it as a lost, when it probably shouldn't be. So ladies any advice?

rai said:
I have a question about salon etiquette. Okay, let's say you go to a salon and get your hair done, but you are not happy with the outcome (service, style, whatever). However, there's another stylist there that you see who work you like. So the question is:
1. Is it okay to switch to another stylist in the same salon. If yes, how do you approach it.

Ladies, I have had this conversation with many of my girlfriends and its funny because we all feel like we can't switch to another stylist in the same salon. We basically take it as a lost, when it probably shouldn't be. So ladies any advice?
My advice is to approach the stylist you've got your eye on. Let her know that you'd like to possibly switch to her (or him) but that you have concerns about doing so. Let the stylist guide you to a certain extent. I would also let the current stylist know that I will be trying another stylist so that she will be prepared when she sees me in so-and-so's chair and perhaps not feel betrayed. Perhaps it will be a wake-up call that she needs to step up her game. It really should not be a problem for the customer.

rai said:

One of my aunts used to do hair and I asked her this, because I was going to a place where a white woman was doing my hair and doing it all right, but there was also a black stylist there who I wanted to try. My aunt said that switching to a different stylist is really not done - UNLESS you say that you can no longer make it on the days your stylist works (and this only works if your stylist and the one you want work on different days). My aunt says that in most salons, there's an unspoken rule that stylists don't poach each other's clients. :perplexed

I've been there, but I usually just move on to another salon. If you don't think that you can talk to your stylist about what is making you unhappy, I would consider moving on. Your new stylist might be "pressed" by your old stylist, which my aunt said has happened to her. In a small salon, she said, the drama that this sort of thing can cause isn't worth it.

Uh, maybe we should print these out and give them out to stylists so they know the "rules" too?

I hate, hate, hate the whole 'ghetto salon' mentality. Maybe it's just me but after a long week I want to be pampered. My current stylist is the salon owner and she does very good work. However, she DOES have that 'I Am The Hair God' complex sometimes. I guess the most annoying thing that she does is have you waiting for hours on end after you've been shampooed or allowing her "girls" to stand at her station and recap the night before while she's "working." (sigh)

I now only see her every 3 months for relaxers and she had the nerve to charge me an extra $35 because she really had to "work" the chemical through my hair (this was somehow my fault since I waited so long).:mad: I was annoyed to say the least but self relaxing is where I draw the line....I ain't doing it.

Anyhoosy, I just ordered a Coffe Bean Colourshine Rinse that I'm putting in before my relaxer on Sat. and I can see her eyes rolling now because I didn't have her put in my color (for ~ $40). She seems offended when I don't take all of her suggestions.

Guess she's really going to trip when I tell her not to trim my hair either.:lachen:

HermioneWeasley said:
One of my aunts used to do hair and I asked her this, because I was going to a place where a white woman was doing my hair and doing it all right, but there was also a black stylist there who I wanted to try. My aunt said that switching to a different stylist is really not done - UNLESS you say that you can no longer make it on the days your stylist works (and this only works if your stylist and the one you want work on different days). My aunt says that in most salons, there's an unspoken rule that stylists don't poach each other's clients. :perplexed

I've been there, but I usually just move on to another salon. If you don't think that you can talk to your stylist about what is making you unhappy, I would consider moving on. Your new stylist might be "pressed" by your old stylist, which my aunt said has happened to her. In a small salon, she said, the drama that this sort of thing can cause isn't worth it.
This unspoken rule still exists to some extent, but is quickly going the way of booth rent. There is too much competition out there, and consumers are much more educated, thus much more empowered. I work at a chain salon so our experience is quite different. It's all about the customer and that should hold true no matter where you choose to go. Why should you start over at another salon and take your chances when you know that you like what you've seen at your current salon, but with another stylist?

delta_gyrl said:
Uh, maybe we should print these out and give them out to stylists so they know the "rules" too?

I hate, hate, hate the whole 'ghetto salon' mentality. Maybe it's just me but after a long week I want to be pampered. My current stylist is the salon owner and she does very good work. However, she DOES have that 'I Am The Hair God' complex sometimes. I guess the most annoying thing that she does is have you waiting for hours on end after you've been shampooed or allowing her "girls" to stand at her station and recap the night before while she's "working." (sigh)

I now only see her every 3 months for relaxers and she had the nerve to charge me an extra $35 because she really had to "work" the chemical through my hair (this was somehow my fault since I waited so long).:mad: I was annoyed to say the least but self relaxing is where I draw the line....I ain't doing it.

Anyhoosy, I just ordered a Coffe Bean Colourshine Rinse that I'm putting in before my relaxer on Sat. and I can see her eyes rolling now because I didn't have her put in my color (for ~ $40). She seems offended when I don't take all of her suggestions.

Guess she's really going to trip when I tell her not to trim my hair either.:lachen:
These are great examples of the "ghetto" behavior I was referring to. That's all very unprofessional. And there is not a stylist alive who can be revered as the "hair god." There is always more for stylists to learn and experience as styles, trends and "conventional wisdom" are ever-changing. Yes, as stylists we did obtain specialized training and earned our professional license so we do know something about hair. However, we need to partner that knowledge and expertise with what the customer knows about his or her own hair. This comes to light during the consultation. After all, they've had that hair for most of their lives. Aside from some basic principles about hair, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to hair care and styling.

Last edited:
This is such a good thread: I am having some serious issues with my hair - I am tried of being over processed, under processed and thin har so i am debating going natural! Thanks for posting this thread..

I told you Balisi, you are The HAIRSTYLIST a LHCF sista can trust and count on!

Last edited:
I'm updating this thread as I think of additional tips:

For those who color their own hair and go to the salon for correctives or subsequent color services, please be completely honest with your stylist about:
1) When and how you last applied the color (i.e., did you skip a step, or follow directions to a T?
2) The brand, shade and type of color you used (semi, demi, permanent or HENNA)
3) How you've been maintaining your hair (this includes shampooing, conditioning, styling and products)
4) Your natural hair color (some people actually forget!)
5) Color frequency

I cannot overemphasize the importance of this. You would be amazed at how many women I see come into the salon for color services after they've used box color at home, then become dismayed, disappointed and even angry when they don't walk out of the salon with the color of their dreams after one visit. Color is not an exact science, even in the hands of the most experienced professional. There are so many variables to consider. It may seem easy to the average customer. After all, there are so cute little color kits available, right? They may yield satisfactory results at first, but what if you want to retouch, change to a different haircolor, add highlights or handle resulting brassiness or color fade? These are things that bring such a client into the salon. If you ever find yourself in this situation, be warned that it may be a labor intensive process to obtain the results you are seeking, especially if you're going from dark to light. Even some semi-permanent color can act "permanent." This is where complete accuracy and honesty are crucial so that the stylist knows how to best proceed WITHOUT CAUSING ANY OR FURTHER DAMAGE, especially on relaxed or other chemically treated hair.

If you spend money to have your hair professionally colored, you should invest in the proper products to maintain it. You should use a shampoo and conditioner formulated for color-treated hair. I think most of us on LHCF know the importance of proper conditioning treatments, but this is never more important than on color treated hair that's been relaxed or texturized.

Finally, always color a relaxer, never relax a color. Color services should never be done less than two weeks after a relaxer.

Last edited:

Thanks Balisi! i'm definetely gonna put these to good use next time i get a trim (i do my own relaxers)

I find it interesting (and a little endearing) how many customers try to help me out during the shampooing process by raising their head so I can get to the nape. It is actually better to just lie back and relax. First off, make sure that your neck is in the groove of the shampoo bowl and that you are comfortable. Close your eyes and relax. This is your time, and it's all about you. Your stylist is fully capable of raising your head just enough to wash/rinse your nape properly. Also, by raising your head even a little bit, your back is likely to get wet. Now, if you've gotten a chemical service and it doesn't feel as though your nape was properly rinsed/shampooed, then by all means, let your stylist know.

balisi. i see what you are saying about not getting a chemical service the first time you go to a salon. normally i wouldnt but the last two hairdressers iv'e went to , one of them overprocessed my hair in the past, the other is too scissor happy and doesn't cut even plus charges $70 for a perm and my hair was underprocessed:mad: . so tomorrow i am going to a dominican stylist my friend recommended. hope it goes well.

Thanks Balisi! I'm going to a new salon and stylist tomorrow for a trim (she thinks about an inch:ohwell: ), wash and style. I'm 8 weeks post and hope to make it to at least Dec 2 before i relax again...if at all. I will definitely ask about the comb to show me where she will be trimiming. I will also get more info on her credentials...:)

Good advice!

I had to leave salons in the hood alone too. Everything you mentioned applied to my old salon that I used to frequent a few years ago.

Clients and stylists eating around the station

making clients wait while they eat

prolonged phone calls

people coming in selling air freshener, jewelry, grocery store coffee cakes

Clients and stylists talking about other clients

stylists scrunching their face up when they are working on someone who hasn't had a relaxer in a long time

gossip-is ok but I have heard a lot of "tmi conversations" while sitting in the chair. I'm not a prude in the least but I dont want to hear about people giving head while I'm getting my hair done (my old stylist talked about this with the owner of the salon she used to work at) . My old stylist used to even get slick with it. My hair would already be dry and she would turn the blowdryer on and position it over my head hoping I wouldn't hear her if she said something sexual. Dumb.

overtrimming- I had apl hair one time and it was cut to above shoulder length.

arguments between stylists- I've seen two stylists nearly come to blows in the salon.

the wait- my appointment is at 2, my old stylist didnt see me until 3:15 with no explanation. Happened quite a bit too.

not wanting to do certain styles - a client called my old stylist on the phone and my stylist told her she would do a certain style another time. She didn't want to do some ponytail hairstyle because it would take too long. If a client is paying, how can you turn a client down because a hairstyle takes too long?

giving the shampoo girl too much responsibility- my old stylist had the shampoo girl wrap my hair after getting out of the sink so she could fit in more clients and not have to stop. She used one of those superfine toothed vanity combs and damn near took out every lick of hair on my head wrapping and unwrapping because she obviously didnt know what she was doing (she started over about 5 times) . I stopped going to her after that.

My recent salon is definitely professional. I switched stylists, but I'm happy with current one. If he is working on another client when I come in, he lets me know how long it will be. He doesn't give me attitude when I say I dont want a trim and honors my requests.

deejoy said:
Good advice!

I had to leave salons in the hood alone too. Everything you mentioned applied to my old salon that I used to frequent a few years ago.

Clients and stylists eating around the station

making clients wait while they eat

prolonged phone calls

people coming in selling air freshener, jewelry, grocery store coffee cakes

Clients and stylists talking about other clients

stylists scrunching their face up when they are working on someone who hasn't had a relaxer in a long time

gossip-is ok but I have heard a lot of "tmi conversations" while sitting in the chair. I'm not a prude in the least but I dont want to hear about people giving head while I'm getting my hair done (my old stylist talked about this with the owner of the salon she used to work at) . My old stylist used to even get slick with it. My hair would already be dry and she would turn the blowdryer on and position it over my head hoping I wouldn't hear her if she said something sexual. Dumb.

overtrimming- I had apl hair one time and it was cut to above shoulder length.

arguments between stylists- I've seen two stylists nearly come to blows in the salon.

the wait- my appointment is at 2, my old stylist didnt see me until 3:15 with no explanation. Happened quite a bit too.

not wanting to do certain styles - a client called my old stylist on the phone and my stylist told her she would do a certain style another time. She didn't want to do some ponytail hairstyle because it would take too long. If a client is paying, how can you turn a client down because a hairstyle takes too long?

giving the shampoo girl too much responsibility- my old stylist had the shampoo girl wrap my hair after getting out of the sink so she could fit in more clients and not have to stop. She used one of those superfine toothed vanity combs and damn near took out every lick of hair on my head wrapping and unwrapping because she obviously didnt know what she was doing (she started over about 5 times) . I stopped going to her after that.

My recent salon is definitely professional. I switched stylists, but I'm happy with current one. If he is working on another client when I come in, he lets me know how long it will be. He doesn't give me attitude when I say I dont want a trim and honors my requests.

Ok, what about a male stripper coming in to perform for a stylist b-day...during daytime business hours..in a storefront shop:eek:

I was so shocked I jumped up and left once I understood what was going on...my sylist runs out to catch me..but I was so outraged I drove off...parked a few blocks away and called to ask what time would the show be over and she would be available to do my hair. Now mind you..she was the owner..she explained she asked the guy to leave, apologized and explained I could return...Oh my goodness...you should have seen the looks the other stylist gave me..as they knew exactly who had been the killjoy..wow..if looks an snide remarks could kill....that was jusy incredible..to say the least...:confused:

Last edited:
mppaul2 said:
Ok, what about a male stripper coming in to perform for a stylist b-day...during daytime business hours..in a storefront shop:eek:

my sylist runs out to catch me..

:shocked::shocked::shocked::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just wanted to say that I had a relatively good experience at JCPenney's salon. First, they provide their stylists with all of the products and equipment they need, all high quality, thus the urge to be stingy or just plain running out of a necessity doesn't cause you to get shorted with some cheap sub. They also aren't worried about other stylists/clients stealing from them, so they aren't working with cheapo tools that they know so-and-so is going to borrow and break. They have heavy duty hood dryers, CHI flat irons, good combs with all their teeth, the whole 9. I was a bit annoyed because the stylist was pressuring me to come in "every week" but other than that I am going back to her for my next relaxer.

At the one I went to, the shampoo bowls are in the middle of the room and the stylist stands behind you to wash. So not only do you not get wet, you don't end up in that awkward position where you're in some one's armpit.

Someone should make this a sticky because this is very good advice.

I was thinking the same thing. There are a million threads whining about bad experiences w/stylists. This is an excellent post that will help curb some of the mistakes we, as clients, make as well.

Thanks for this post Balisi! Excellent points and ITA with everything you've stated. IDK if it's been stated before but I think this should be a stickie b/c everytime I log on to lhcf I see horror stories of stylists gone wild. This would be a great stickie!

Bumping

So I think I found a stylist... at least I hope so. The stylist card claims to use "Healthy Hair Practices" and even provides you with a free "Hair Goals" Consultation. She also caters to both relaxed and natural clients. I've been corresponding with her via email just to get a feel for her. And she seems pretty nice. I scheduled my "Hair Goals" Consultation with her for this Saturday to get a feel for the salon, see her hair and get a feel for her "healthy" hair practices. Besides the obvious of using her hair and the salon to make a decision. I plan to ask question. I don't want to schedule any services with her until after the consulation if I feel she's right for me and my hair practices. Which brings me to this, I don't want to sound to picky or piss her off with my questioning but hey I'm a customer and want to be happy. I want to preface the conversation with "I'm picky or I had a bad salon expeirence before with relaxers and I don't want it to happen again so what do you recommend..." Below are the following questions I plan to ask.

How often do you recommend a relaxer?
What brand of relaxer and products do you use(poos and condiioners)?
What treatments do you recommend to follow after applying a relaxer?
What at home care do you recommend to clients between appointments?
How often do you recommend a trim to a client?
How much do you recommend should be trimmed?
What size combs do you use?
What hair drying practices do you use...hooded or hand dryer?
How long do you believe AA hair can grow? (We all know the anwer to that question :yep:)

Do you think I'm asking to much? I don't want to offend her but at the same time let her know I'm not for hair games. :wallbash: Are there any other questions I've missed that you think I should add?

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!:spinning:

OrangeMoon, don't feel badly about asking questions. That's a big part of what a consultation is for. If she is a good stylist, she will be happy to answer your questions and make you feel at ease. I think it's on point to share with her about your negative experiences in the past.

You might want to ask her about how often she attends classes to keep her skills and knowledge current.

Her license should be active and prominently displayed.

Let us know the outcome.

Back