Are there naturals (past SL) who wash their hair loose?

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I'm a little past APL in the back (stretched) and SL (stretched) in the front. Ever since I BC (I started off with 2 to 3 inches) I had always washed my hair loose, but I have been hearing more people washing their hair in braids (plaits) to prevent SSK, and tangles. I have SSK, but they don't apprehend my growth, and I keep them at bay by dusting and doing PS. I have major shinkage, and think if I was to wash my hair in braids/twist, only comb in the shower, then rebraid/twist right after, that would make my hair have more problems since I'm unable to get to roots with products and comb the way I need to with wet hair.

Those who wash in braids/twist could you explain how it benefits you?

I'm about shoulder length stretched and I don't wash my hair in sections... I did in the past and it seemed as though I was ripping my hair out, detangling with a comb and denman in the shower, then detangling again if I put twists or braids in ( I also didn't have a staple detangling product either).
As of late I've been using Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil condish, which provides an AMAZING amount of slip for my hair, and my fingers to detangle. I sort of smooth the conditioner through my hair and gently rake my fingers through it, removing shed hairs as I go along.

I hope this helps!

APL natural checking in. I wash my hair loose. I been have since I BCd. I tried the sections thing and all it did was frustrate me. When I first get in the shower I soak my hair then apply my condish and let it sit until I finish washing the rest of my body. Then I just grab sections of my hair and pull out shed hairs from each section. It can take me a while but I don't mind. I love being able to play in my hair. I know I don't get all shed hair when I do this. That is why I usually do a full detangle once a month with my tangle teezer and lots of condish.

I'm about shoulder length stretched and I don't wash my hair in sections... I did in the past and it seemed as though I was ripping my hair out, detangling with a comb and denman in the shower, then detangling again if I put twists or braids in ( I also didn't have a staple detangling product either).
As of late I've been using Curl Junkie Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil condish, which provides an AMAZING amount of slip for my hair, and my fingers to detangle. I sort of smooth the conditioner through my hair and gently rake my fingers through it, removing shed hairs as I go along.

I hope this helps!

I'm the same way. I used to detangle before, during, and after washing. But now at even shoulder length my hair can be washed loose and no tangles b/c of great DC

I'm at APL and I'm natural. I've recently stopped washing my hair in twists. Instead, I'm not smooshing the hair around and not moving it much. I let the water run through it in one direction and run my hands through the hair in the same direction. I don't tangle up the hair that way.

I used to wash in sections and braids but the longer my hair got the longer it was taking me to wash my hair. Now I wash my hair loose in the shower or over the tub. After it is cleansed and I do my deep condish, this is when I detangle and section the hair. I find that this method is more time efficient for me and I don't think I loose as much hair because I'm only detangling once.

BTW I'm brushing BSB length.

my hair is a few inches from APL and I always wash it loose unless I am wearing twists for a few days.

wet hair with water OR soak with ayurvedic tea
apply oil to edges, crown, ends plus a shot of hot water
apply conditioner, cover head with plastic cap
shower body
use 3 comb method to detangle and remove shed hair
final leave-in rinse of ayurvedic tea OR diluted acv OR acv diluted in ayurvedic tea
braid to dry

I wash my hair loose and then condition....leaving my conditioner in. I never wash my conditioner out. I shower body and when done, I detangle with a wide tooth comb.
I usually a apply a little ecostyler or curly souffle and I'm done.
I tried the other way once and it was too much work for me. Lol.

I've tried to wash my hair in twists and it has not worked well for me. I just prepoo with conditioner and detangle and focus on the scalp when I shampoo. Patience and a good conditioner/deep conditioner keeps SSK and breakage at a minimum for me.

I wash my hair loose. It's just less drama for me. I keep my hair going in one direction as I apply the shampoo to my scalp. Kind of like if you were to run your fingers through your hair starting from the front. That's basically how I wash my hair. I add more shampoo as I work my way to the back. I'll divide my hair down the center to get to the back/nape of my head. I have no more tangles than I would if I did it in sections. It's faster for me this way.

Good thread.

My hair is almost SL stretched and I really don't like shampooing in sections. As of late, I've been shampooing on loose hair but thought I was committing some major natural hair faux pas. But truth be told. It's easier for me to shampoo loose hair and I prefer it this way. I really hope I don't have any issues as my hair grows longer.

I'm at waist and wash my hair loose. I wear my hair straight all the time so I just run a comb or fingers through my hair before I wash. The only time I have issues with tangles is if I don't use a good moisturizing conditioner (looking at you Aveda madder root) but kinky kurly knot today takes care of that.

I wash my hair loose. I just make sure I wash it straight down (only in the shower). This way my hair isn't 'disturbed' too much and doesn't get all tangled up.

I'm about APL and I normally wash my hair loose. I don't feel like it all gets properly clean otherwise.

Sometimes when I have twists in I might just leave them in and wash them as they are, but that's not too often.

I also wash semi loose. I keep four clips in the shower and use them to hold back the other quadrants while I work with one to apply conditioner (fine strands, densely packed) at a time. I let it sit while I bathe and then rinse one by one. Only adds a few minutes to a normal shower.

I have never washed my hair any other way. I like it to feel really clean and I just detangle with my aveda brush in the shower with the conditioner in. works like a charm.
i'm between APL and BSL right now

I'm at waist and wash my hair loose. I wear my hair straight all the time so I just run a comb or fingers through my hair before I wash. The only time I have issues with tangles is if I don't use a good moisturizing conditioner (looking at you Aveda madder root) but kinky kurly knot today takes care of that.

coachchica did you use madder root for moisture? Its for color maintenance, not for moisture. The color care line is actually my least favorite Aveda product for AA hair... Severely lacking in the moisture department. I only used Shampure, brilliant, and damage remedy for AA clients...

I am beyond shoulder length stretched and I put on conditioners/cleansers and detangle in two or four sections held by a shark clip, but rinse loose. I have a big head and lots of hair and sectioning ensures conditioner and/or the cleansing agent hits every section.

Those who wash in braids/twist could you explain how it benefits you?

I NEVER get tangles and NEVER have to detangle. My hair stays tangle free as I always try to keep it. Oh, did I mention breakage is at a minimum? I am also able to remove all shed hair so that I don't have any problems with tangles or knots.

I'm not sure @**SaSSy** I understand why your root get tangled? Don't you comb from base? I use a fine tooth comb and I make sure my comb can go through my hair from base to ends.

These two images show my hair after a wash:
rabouttorinsebeforeflatironing-vi.jpg

IMG00905-vi.jpg

...and here's the comb I used during the wash
SeamlessFineToothComb-vi.jpg

...and I could comb from roots to ends with the same ease you see in this vid.

I explained my method of washing in plaits in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=584699

I honestly don't know how anyone with kinky hair could avoid getting knotty roots if they aren't this anal with keeping their hair detangled.

Yes I have and when I do, it's murder! I can only wash in sections. Less time to detangle is a MUST! Less manipulation during detangling is a MUST!

Less, is more!:yep:

I also wash semi loose. I keep four clips in the shower and use them to hold back the other quadrants while I work with one to apply conditioner (fine strands, densely packed) at a time. I let it sit while I bathe and then rinse one by one. Only adds a few minutes to a normal shower.

I second this. I don't wash in twists or braids, but I do wash my hair in sections. If I wash my entire head loose I will have to detangle multiple times after I'm out of the shower. I section, wash and detangle each section, and pin it out of the way. Much easier for me this way :yep:.

I wash my hair loose but then condition or DC in 6 banded sections. I comb when I rinse out the conditioner, reband my hair, seal and sit under the dryer for 45 min.

I wash mine loose. I've tried washing in braids/twists but it makes things harder. The scalp doesn't get clean as I like and I feel like dirt still clings to the hair. I have fine hair so perhaps I feel the buildup easier than others. I don't have a lot of problems with SSKs, and tangles, after washing cause the flow of the water helps me detangle.

I’ve always washed my hair loose because braids and twists always produces more tangles and knots.

With my hair loose and parted in the center, I shampoo then detangle each side while rinsing. For me, the key is using smoothing motions from root to tip while shampooing and detangling, similar to what Allandra mentioned. Doing this facilitates the removal of shed hairs and keeps my hair tangle free.

The last time I checked, I was MBL.

I cowash loose, but shampoo in sections since my hair gets tangled more when I shampoo.

When I rinse henna or other herbs from my hair, its always loose.

The past 4 or so weeks I've been washing my hair in braids. I read Nonie 's thread about washing in braids for the 32048th time and finally gave it another shot. HUGE difference in detangling. I never dread wash days.

It's ironic this thread was posted today because I actually washed my hair loose for the first time this month and I absolutely regretted it. Ugh, it was horrible. It took me an hour to detangle my hair.

I am going back to DCing my hair on dry hair (loose), then comb through and put hair in plaits, then rinse conditioner off, shampoo, then light conditioner. I like this process bc when I am done washing my hair I am DONE with my hair. I just spritz a leave in or moisturizer on my braids. Maybe put perm rods on the ends (depending on my mood) and I am done.

The only thing I don't like about washing in braids is I have trouble getting my scalp completely clean.

isawstars, I don't have a problem with getting my scalp clean because when hair is in braids, I apply shampoo to fingers or pour it directly on scalp between parts and then use fingers to massage scalp. When I undo a braid to comb through, I may massage my scalp some more if I need to. When rinsing, since I undo and comb through under running water, I have access to my scalp again. TBH, my focus when washing my hair is mostly on my scalp and I'd not do it if I didn't enjoy how squeaky clean my scalp gets from washing.

Unless you're doing your braids so firmly at the base the way you'd do braids that you mean to wear, getting through your hair to the scalp should not be a problem. If it is, then use the time you undo to comb through your hair to really give the scalp under the hair a good massage. After all, you hair is loose in that section that you are combing so if you find washing loose gets your scalp clean...you have many opportunities of having loose hair through out the wash so you shouldn't be missing out on anything.

Back