Are Relaxers Safe To Use During Pregnancy?

growingwild

It's been a year since I relaxed my hair. I've decided that I want to start relaxing again but I'm feeling skeptical about using the chemicals while pregnant. Has anyone used a relaxer during their pregnancy?

I've never been pregnant, but I would just ask my physician if I were you. I've seen women 5 months pregnant with obviously freshly-retouched hair, but just ask your doc. When that time comes for me, I probably won't have too much of a problem maintaining my own hair without one. It'll be extra work, believe me!

I've always been advised against it, by doctors and hair professionals. So I'd say no.

x

growingwild said:
It's been a year since I relaxed my hair. I've decided that I want to start relaxing again but I'm feeling skeptical about using the chemicals while pregnant. Has anyone used a relaxer during their pregnancy?
Growing Wild: This is from my "What to expect when expecting book"

"Though there is no evidence that hair relaxers are dangerous during pregnancy, there's no proof that they're completely safe, either. And since they contain strong chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin--and because your hair may react differently and strangely to the chemicals now that you're pregnant--its probably safest to let your hair do what comes naturally..."

I decided not to relax my hair during my pregancy, and I was pregnant in the summer so blowouts and flatirons did not work for me..I eventually got braids. I know people who relaxed their hair during pregancy but I did not want to take the chance...and my dr was against it also. Actually my hair texture changed during that time..it was thicker and grew in really curly.

Since you have already gone a year...you should be able to keep going with no problem :)

Good luck..and congratulations..my baby is 4 1/2 months now...

When I was pregnant I played it safe and went relaxer free. In fact I didnt even put a perm in my hair for the 1st couple of months of breastfeeding either. I just dont think its worth the risk. God forbid if something happens to the baby even if the relaxer had nothing to do w/it you are gonna blame yourself. It just aint worth it IMO and you also get healthy natural hair in the end :D I just kept my hair in braids while I was pregnant...

growingwild,

Congrats on your pregnancy!! I was just about to start a new post on this very same topic.

Thanks for all of the replies ladies. I am now 5 days short of being 12 wks post relaxer and I have a bush. I just may be preggers too and I hope I can handle my hair the next 9 months.

DMarie

Last edited:
Growingwild and DMarie,

Just wanted to give you both a different perspective. I have two healthy children, and I relaxed during both pregnancies with no ill effects. I'm also breastfeeding, and still getting relaxers every 12 weeks. During this latest pregnancy (my baby is 8 mos.), I went 16 weeks without a relaxer, but that was mostly due to a change in my hair texture which made it easier to handle. I'm not saying go out and relax, but I just wanted you guys to hear from the other side.

I went from natural to relaxed in November of last year while I was pregnant. I had no adverse effects. I loved it! I just got a retouch on Feb. 26 (about 12 weeks post relaxer) and everything seems fine to me. I did this after talking to my mother, who relaxed during at least 2 pregnancies. She had no adverse effects either. The decision is yours, but while I was watching The Today Show (?) recently, there was a doctor on there who was talking about coloring/relaxing hair while pregnant and she said that there was nothing wrong with it.

If you just can't wait until you have the baby, I would make an attempt to stretch the relaxers out as much as you can between retouches. When it's time for a re-touch, I may buy a wig or get some extensions or something of that nature until after I have the baby. It will give my hair a nice break...and me too! Newborns are an experience in patience, I won't have enough patience left for my hair!

When I was relaxed, I didn't get touch-ups while pregnant. I tried but the relaxer never took. It would be straight one day and the next day it was like I have never had touch-up. So, I just stopped altogether.

Scribe said:
Growingwild and DMarie,

Just wanted to give you both a different perspective. I have two healthy children, and I relaxed during both pregnancies with no ill effects. I'm also breastfeeding, and still getting relaxers every 12 weeks. During this latest pregnancy (my baby is 8 mos.), I went 16 weeks without a relaxer, but that was mostly due to a change in my hair texture which made it easier to handle. I'm not saying go out and relax, but I just wanted you guys to hear from the other side.

I also relaxed while I was pregnant with no adverse effects.

growingwild said:

My cousin had her hair in weaves while she was pregnant. She only just had the baby 5 weeks ago.

About 3 weeks before the baby was born I relaxed her hair at her request and she is a doctor. Both baby and hair came out fine.

If you have any doubts whatsoever, then I think you should wait until after the baby is born but I have seen lots of women with relaxed hair while pregnant.

HTH.

I also relaxed while pregnant. I also work for my ob/gyn and they don't advise against hair coloring and all that, as long as it's not applied directly to the scalp. But the main concern is that due to pregnancy hormones whatever you apply may not take. My child came out perfect, she might be bad as I don't know what, but I doubt that is from relaxing. It really is a personal choice and you should do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

Back