Are MicroBraid a LHCF no no?

Precious_1

Microbraids left off the s in my title......Hey Everyone, I was thinking of getting microbraids for the summer, but I dont want to do it if the majority of you think it is damaging and counterproductive. Opinions? Tips?

It depends... I think it's crucial not to braid them tight. Don't leave them on your hair for months. If you do leave them for a long time, redo the edges. Grease your scalp or put some hair balm on it if you are against grease. Wash them in between.

I personally think their fine to get as long you take care of your hair first. Wash and dc moisturizing and protein (light to medium), make sure your hair is completely detangled and most important do not let them braid your hair tight especially around the hairline/temple area. To moisturize use braid spray or any type of spray that is says moisturizing every couple of days. Wash your scalp/hair every week or two (i did every two weeks) and conditioned also. When I will wash my hair while in micros/kinky twists I would use a applicator bottle and use shampoo and a little conditioner diluted w/ water to wash my scalp/hair and used a conditioner (diluted also) to coat the braids and leave that for five mins and wash it out, apply a leave-in and tie a scarf around my head to prevent frizzies. That's pretty much it. Hth

Last edited:
Microbraids left off the s in my title......Hey Everyone, I was thinking of getting microbraids for the summer, but I dont want to do it if the majority of you think it is damaging and counterproductive. Opinions? Tips?

Are you talking singles that are very thin box braids or are you talking of the finest of the microbraids? I can tell you from experience that they can do damage. Get them bigger rather than those very tiny ones. Also, make sure you get a good hair. Synthetic, imho, cuts your natural hair. I'd opt for human hair braids. Oh, and don't let them braid your "baby hairs." Most African braiders think it looks unfinished but it seriously hurts the hairline. You have a lot of weave hair hanging off a little tiny bit of weak edge hair. :nono:

I get my hair done in micros as part of the braid challenge for this year. I get the biggest size my stylist offers. I'm on my 3rd install of micros for the year and I haven't had any problems and have gotten good growth. I leave them in for 2-3 months and get my edges redone every 6 weeks. I know some people say to get the edges redone more often and I would if I knew how to braid them myself.

Echk do what you like with your hair, whatever works for you. I really don't care what's a 'no no' on here, if there is such a thing, I just do whatever works for me.

Have you had problems with micros before?

I scream inside whenever I hear somebody talking about getting microbraids. I think they are damaging, especially to your fragile edges. The thought that comes to mind for me is bald edges. Sorry. I was screaming inside when I saw your post and had to say what I'm thinking. Do what you want. Maybe someone can give you tips to keep it from breaking your hair off a strand at a time. But I think similar thoughts when I hear someone talking about a weave and people are wearing them with no damage. *shrugs* I'm just thinking the weight of the braid being held by just a few strands of your own hair can't be good. Add manipulation...:nono:

*shutting up now*

I have used microbraids to transition for years before I found LHCF. I never had any problems. Personally I have never had a problem with my edges. So I think, to each his own. I get great growth from braids and weaves. I have kept them as long as 4 months. I wash often and I dont take them out by myself. I go back to the shop that put them in and get them removed. For about 50 dollars, the ladies remove my braids and comb out my hair. Some shops even wash them. I have worn micros and box braids since 1992.

I have fine fragile strands so they are a no no for my hair. However, if you have strands that are medium to coarse with decent resiliency then you should be okay!

My personal opinion - stay away from micro braids. I have no edges and temples bc of micro braids. Each to his own and we are all adults but the edges are one of the hardest areas to grow back and the most visible when things go wrong and the effect that this can have on your confidence is devastating. 5/6 years later I am still trying to grow back my edges.

Just stating my opinion as I said earlier.

OP, I think you should do what is best for you. We all have had different experiences. Good Luck with whatever you choose.

i love microbraids and have been doing them often for the past year BUT i took them out this time and realized i had lost some of my edges. i know why..i neglected to have the edges rebraided and the braid was hanging off my edges *sigh* so i say go ahead but follow the rules

Echk do what you like with your hair, whatever works for you. I really don't care what's a 'no no' on here, if there is such a thing, I just do whatever works for me.

Have you had problems with micros before?

No, I have never worn micros before thats why I was asking for advice before i tried them out, I cant afford a set back....:spinning:

I got them done. I was very paranoid and posted on here as well about it. I left them in for 2 months. My hair was fine. I took them out early because i had a ton of growth in that time. I just made sure to keep them moistured. Definately keep the edges looser and make sure they don't braid baby hairs as mentioned. They still did my edges too tight. Luckily my hairline was completely intact when i took them out but it was SOOOO painful until it grew out alittle. I also didn't leave the front braids loose for fear of leaning on/snagging them.

I think it depends on your hair for some people they do not cause damage or hair loss. For me they took out my edges I had to do some serious TLC to get my edges looking decent again also ther were 2 ladies braiding my hair when I had them installed the lady in front was tying the hair at the point where they leave it loose I found out the woman in back was using nail glue. It was a total nigtmare trying to take them out I had to soak the ends in acetone to loosen the glue ( did a search online to find out how to get the things out ) and it damaged my ends

Are you talking singles that are very thin box braids or are you talking of the finest of the microbraids? I can tell you from experience that they can do damage. Get them bigger rather than those very tiny ones. Also, make sure you get a good hair. Synthetic, imho, cuts your natural hair. I'd opt for human hair braids. Oh, and don't let them braid your "baby hairs." Most African braiders think it looks unfinished but it seriously hurts the hairline. You have a lot of weave hair hanging off a little tiny bit of weak edge hair. :nono:

OMG, is this really true? I use synthetic hair all the time :S

I err on the side of caution and stay away from them. But, if you have strong, coarse hair and you take care that they don't stress your hair and cause breakage, go for it.
Be careful though...

I wouldn't necessarily consider micros a "no-no". I wore them during my transition and during my first year being natural (along w/ kinky twists). Yes, my edges got really thin. So thin that I started wearing wigs. I am one of the fortunate ones whose edges grew back within about 3 or 4 months, but that doesn't happen for everyone. The things you have to remember are that you still need to take care of your hair the same way you would w/o the braids AND you need to tell the braider to either leave your edges out or to braid it very loose. And even if it's braided loose on the edges, I would still get them re-done after about 4 weeks. If I could go back in time I would have just left my edges out. The thing I didn't like about micros is that my hair was so tangled after I took them out that I had to cut some of it. It was a hot mess. The micros were convenient, but I believe my hair would have been a lot longer by now if I hadn't worn them.

There are many people who have had good experiences w/ micros. I would also recommend using the Crown and Glory method while in braids.

Don't do it!!! :nono:

Just kidding...sort of. In my opinion, professional braiders braid waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy too tightly, it WILL cause traction alopecia. According to a scientific study, 70% of African American women suffer from traction alopecia due to damaging hair styles.

Of course, you use your own discretion with this hairstyle but I personally wouldn't use or recommend micro braids for hair growth and retention. Among other reasons, I think they're bad for the hairline and it's way too easy to neglect your real hair (for example: when taking them out, can you be sure you'll gently remove each extension so that you don't damage your ends.)

Back