Are Lacefronts really worth the trouble & $$?

GrowinLonger

Hey ladies, I am very close to purchasing my first lf (have no idea from where yet :ohwell:), however, I've been reading about all the glue, tape, hairline loss, time involved for placement, etc., and wondering if its really worth it. I know they look good, but I can achieve a similar look with a halfwig and it's much cheaper and I can take it off 'er night.

Please tell me why lf's are so worth it besides it looking more real??

Hey lashannasmall, I have, that's where most of my question comes from(I'm not a member there). Some of those ladies have shaved their hair to wear lf's?? I'm like, :huh:. Perhaps I was reading their threads wrong.

Anywho, I still need to know why they're worth all the trouble. There are so many cheaper alternatives which look just as real in my opinion and are easier to deal with.

Go to black hair media and look in their lacefront forum

Last edited:
I was looking into it too, but then my sis got one made from a hairdresser I used to go to and it looks sooooo hot...it's not a lacefront but it is custom fit and doesn't look wig like or even fake like (to me) it could pass for a really good weave without the other hassles...

I'm not used to wearing them and I'm not an expert on what it should look like but I think it looks great and I'm going to order one...it's only $80 and compared to what I'd have to go thru for a lacefront I really don't think it's too bad....

Naturelle what did she have done? Full lace?

I was looking into it too, but then my sis got one made from a hairdresser I used to go to and it looks sooooo hot...it's not a lacefront but it is custom fit and doesn't look wig like or even fake like (to me) it could pass for a really good weave without the other hassles...

I'm not used to wearing them and I'm not an expert on what it should look like but I think it looks great and I'm going to order one...it's only $80 and compared to what I'd have to go thru for a lacefront I really don't think it's too bad....

Since seeing a few members post pics of their new lacefront wigs i felt compelled to get one too. Mine's in the mail. On the hairsisters website where i purchased it a lot of the comments for the wig i bought said they did not need to use adhesive and I know another girl here said she just sewed in more wig clips into her wig so that she wouldn't have to use the adhesive.

My friend purchased one from a local beauty supply store and they installed it for her there. Believe it or not she actually allowed them to shave parts of her hairline that "would interfere with the adhesive gel. Thanks but no thanks!

The one I ordered is my first lacefront ever. I bought a synthetic one b/c of the price in case I find out that they aren't for me, I don't want to feel too bad about spending the $$.

CALL ME silly i have 3 of them :lachen:never wore one my in law cuts her sides off:nono:cause she said her hair grows down her face but mines fit so i dont have to cut. i just couldnt get with not moisturizer my hair every day cause i have a relaxer and didnt want to get lazy and mess up all my good work.cause you can get lazy. wearing that HAIR LIKE IT GREW OUT OF YOUR HEAD. but i like them i was on bhcf and found some of the best people who sell them and what to use with them. i am just scared to put them on.some just use pin to hold them down. when i move closer to my in law i know i will wear them SHE WEAR THE MESS OUT SOME LF.:lachen:and she learning some thing new about them everyday.right now i wear my human hair wig. will not buy another LF until i wear the ones i got:wallbash::yep:NO MATTER HOW PRETTY THEY ARE.i guess if you take care of your hair under them like some do they will work for you but you got to watch them temples.

just wanted to add my two cents, but, some people- well, most people that I know do LF, don't go through all of that trouble for it. Like myself, I bought one recently and I just slap it on. no glue, tape, shaving of my hair, etc. The little lace left after being cut just clings to my forhead. Plus I wear a satin thingy underneath to protect my real hair.

Some people (like AtlantaJJ) don't use adhesive - just hairpins.

There are people who have decided that they will wear nothing but lace wigs, so they aren't attempting to grow/care for their own hair; for them shaving their heads makes sense - they do not intend to ever wear their own hair and they can get a better fit of the wig on the bare scalp.

wow.......

Some people (like AtlantaJJ) don't use adhesive - just hairpins.

There are people who have decided that they will wear nothing but lace wigs, so they aren't attempting to grow/care for their own hair; for them shaving their heads makes sense - they do not intend to ever wear their own hair and they can get a better fit of the wig on the bare scalp.

I purchased one a couple of years ago. It was alot of trouble with the glue and all. I have a low hairline so the glue got in my hair so this is one of the reasons women shave their hairline and of course to have a smooth look.. I wanted one for hair growth purposes, so I was not about to do that...
There are so many different types of glues, lfs, etc., I was a member of Black hair media for a while to figure out how to use it, so I would suggest you go there. But, it wasn't worth it for me because depending on the adhesive you purchase, you need an alcohol based one to remove it. Lace fronts can be expensive not only the cost of the wig, but if you get it applied professionally you have the cost, or if you apply it your self you have to pay for your supplies e.g., scalp protector, adhesive, adhesive remover, goo be gone (for glue that sticks to the lace or your hands), knot sealer for the wig, fray block if the lace start to shred etc., Anyway, that's all I can remember but it was a couple of years ago:nono:

I now wear half-wigs and I can take care of my hair underneath with oils/growth aids and it has thrived better this way without shaving my hairline!!:grin:

Thanks Jazzmommy ...you've confirmed for me that they can be quite a bit of work to maintain.

That said, they are quite pretty and natural looking :grin:. I guess I'll treat myself to just one and see how it is for me... If I don't like it, I'll just go back to my halfwigs. Thanks ladies. (I hate when I talk myself into spending money :lachen:)

I purchased one a couple of years ago. It was alot of trouble with the glue and all. I have a low hairline so the glue got in my hair so this is one of the reasons women shave their hairline and of course to have a smooth look.. I wanted one for hair growth purposes, so I was not about to do that...
There are so many different types of glues, lfs, etc., I was a member of Black hair media for a while to figure out how to use it, so I would suggest you go there. But, it wasn't worth it for me because depending on the adhesive you purchase, you need an alcohol based one to remove it. Lace fronts can be expensive not only the cost of the wig, but if you get it applied professionally you have the cost, or if you apply it your self you have to pay for your supplies e.g., scalp protector, adhesive, adhesive remover, goo be gone (for glue that sticks to the lace or your hands), knot sealer for the wig, fray block if the lace start to shred etc., Anyway, that's all I can remember but it was a couple of years ago:nono:

I now wear half-wigs and I can take care of my hair underneath with oils/growth aids and it has thrived better this way without shaving my hairline!!:grin:

Hey ladies, I am very close to purchasing my first lf (have no idea from where yet :ohwell:), however, I've been reading about all the glue, tape, hairline loss, time involved for placement, etc., and wondering if its really worth it. I know they look good, but I can achieve a similar look with a halfwig and it's much cheaper and I can take it off 'er night.

Please tell me why lf's are so worth it besides it looking more real??

I think it's worth it. I had the same issues with the glue and stuff, but I'm not applying it that way anymore. I sewed wig clips to secure my lacefront. The major benefit for me is being able to braid all my hair, and wear the lacefront. You can't do that with your halfwig. With the halfwig, you still have to worry about blending your hair with the wig. Plus, you can take off the lacefront every night if you apply it with wig clips.

Check out pics of my lacefront. These are from this weekend. PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE LADIES!!

This is the next morning..was too inebriated so I slept in it. lol

Last edited:
I think they are worth it, especially the way Ediese did it with the clips. I wish I wouldve seen something like that last year because I stopped wearing mine. The glue was annoying I had to be extra careful with my hairline. Most of the time I didn't even glue the back, lol. I might let it resurface again if I sew the clips in because it's still pretty fresh.

Synthetic lace fronts are not the same as real Human Hair Lace Fronts. They are not the same quality in construction or hair realness, but they do the job if you want a quick look. The real French/Swiss lace human hair lace fronts do take more effort if you want to do anything other than pin them down.

I suggest really looking at BHM carefully, like reading all the links in the pinned newbie threads. And btw, I've lurked on BHM for about a year and haven't seen anyone who (doesn't have alopecia) shave their head to wear a lace front. In fact most people recommend against that. There is one popular member who keeps her hair in a twa but that's all I can think of. I don't want people to get the wrong idea about lacefronts and BHM.

I wear wigs and synthetic lace front wigs at a protective style. I also sell them as well. I just received some human hair lace front wigs and I am eying one to keep for myself.
I think that trying a synthetic lace front wig is a good idea if you are not quite sure how the human hair units will work for you. I do not apply my synthetic units with glue or tape, I take mine off every night.
Now, a lot of the lace front veterans do NOT like synthetic lace fronts. I do not have a problem with them. If you know how to work a regular wig, you can work a synthetic lace front.
Some of the issues with wearing lace fronts: 1. finding a vendor and ordering 2.finding glues/tapes that will work for you 3. Applying the unit so it looks natural 4. maintaining the unit - what products can you use.
The other forum that was mentioned really does have a whole lot of good information. I think they are worth it for most women - if you can find a good price, if you can find a good vendor, if you can find the glues and tapes that work for you. I think that you do need to do some research before you get one. If you do not know what you are doing, you can jack your natural hair/scalp up, and that is not what we want.
In regards to shaving your hair, I would never shave my head or anything like that. However, I would edge up my nape area or something like that if I wear going to wear a full lace front.

Ediese- you are so darn cute!

I think its worth it...As others have said BHM is a great resource. I think LF's can be a great protective style as long as you don't neglect your own hair.

When I first started learning I knew that adhesives were not for me, on my human one I sewed wig clips.....

LFLHCF.jpg

My synthetic one did not need clips at all

synlfc.jpg

synlfb.jpg

Adhesives really are optional ladies - do your research.

I think it might be good to start with an inexpensive synthetic just to see if its right for you-and again check out the LF section on BHM, also there is a wig section on BHM that has a lot of info on synthetic LF's.

Btw, I still do rock my half wigs too, lol.

Last edited:
A LF is a good protective style and its worth the purchase IF you are going to actually wear it. Initially I pretty much wasted my money because I liked it alot but never actually wore it out of the house, too paranoid I guess. Fast forward a year later... I was having a bad hairday and trying to figure out how I was going to survive no heat for another month(bootcamp) and then I pulled my LF out. I'm sold! I dont use adhesives generally, I just put four of the long bobby pins in (one on each side and one on each side of my nape) I sewed wig clips in at the top but I really didnt need them and dont even use them anymore. I have a full lace so I can part it anywhere and I got a really realistic texture the same length as my hair so I transitioned to it without people even noticing. Every now and then I put a small drop of glue wherever my part is if its really defined, but I never put it on my hairline. This way I can take it off every night, go the gym without excuses, and cowash till my hearts content. I dont know what took me so long.

Since seeing a few members post pics of their new lacefront wigs i felt compelled to get one too. Mine's in the mail. On the hairsisters website where i purchased it a lot of the comments for the wig i bought said they did not need to use adhesive and I know another girl here said she just sewed in more wig clips into her wig so that she wouldn't have to use the adhesive.

My friend purchased one from a local beauty supply store and they installed it for her there. Believe it or not she actually allowed them to shave parts of her hairline that "would interfere with the adhesive gel. Thanks but no thanks!

Ok, the stories of hairline brutality in this thread are disturbing me lol..

Back