ARE HEATED ROLLERS GOOD FOR BLACK HAIR

HAVE YOU USED HEATED ROLLERS?

• Total voters

taytay86

My hair dresser said they leave black hair frizzy...is this true for any of you?

Do heated rollers work best on wet or dry hair? If you use it on wet/damp hair will it come out smooth?

How long do you keep them in?

Thanks!

Last edited:
My hair dresser said they leave black hair frizzy...is this true for any of you?

Do heated rollers work best on wet or dry hair? If you use it on wet/damp hair will it come out smooth?

Thanks!

I have used hot rollers for years off and on. They work on naturals, braids, relaxed and weaves (human and non-human hair) everyone can use them. There's lots of brands and sizes that you can use too. Only use them on dry hair.If you apply any direct heat (curling iron, hot rollers ect) not only can you burn your hair off but you can cause dmg to the cortex via bubbling or "cooking" the heart of the hair strand which will prevent your hair from curling ect. I keep them in till they cool. For example, If I am gonna curl my twists with hot rollers, I put them in before the shower. I put my shower cap on, shower dress, makeup then I take them out. I find that I get the best results when the curlers are warm(not super hot) and let them stay in till they get cool/cold. The curl falls really naturally with no "hump" that my magnetic rollers leave from overnights. Plus it's fast if I am in a hurry and have to have a "special" style. I like them and they work for me! :grin:

ETA:BTW I have no clue if their "good" for black hair:look:. To me anything in moderation when you are properly doing it is ok. But as for if they are good in general who knows. For me it would depend on whether you are using them correcty, how often, does your hair already have dmg, how much dmg, ect. I think it's a personal opinion thing ya know?

Last edited:
I have used hot rollers for years off and on. They work on naturals, braids, relaxed and weaves (human and non-human hair) everyone can use them. There's lots of brands and sizes that you can use too. Only use them on dry hair.If you apply any direct heat (curling iron, hot rollers ect) not only can you burn your hair off but you can cause dmg to the cortex via bubbling or "cooking" the heart of the hair strand which will prevent your hair from curling ect. I keep them in till they cool. For example, If I am gonna curl my twists with hot rollers, I put them in before the shower. I put my shower cap on, shower dress, makeup then I take them out. I find that I get the best results when the curlers are warm(not super hot) and let them stay in till they get cool/cold. The curl falls really naturally with no "hump" that my magnetic rollers leave from overnights. Plus it's fast if I am in a hurry and have to have a "special" style. I like them and they work for me! :grin:

ETA:BTW I have no clue if their "good" for black hair:look:. To me anything in moderation when you are properly doing it is ok. But as for if they are good in general who knows. For me it would depend on whether you are using them correcty, how often, does your hair already have dmg, how much dmg, ect. I think it's a personal opinion thing ya know?

Cool - what brand to you use?

Thanks!
I haven't used heated rollers, just curling irons (not good!) in the past. I prefer Caruso rollers which uses steam instead of heat to quickly set the hair (dry hair) with beautiful curls. Some of the ladies may call this heat but actually no heat is touching the hair, just moisture. :)

Cool - what brand to you use?
I have several sets.One with all different sizes, once with very small rollers, one with all large rollers. I like the kinds that don't have that "velvet" stuff on them.
I have the following sets:

I can't find any pics of the small rollers that I have so I'll have to keep looking. I like the conair mainly. it's cheap and I can get it at wal-mart. they come with "pins" which can be a pain, but I do have a revlon set that looks like this: It's actually quite comfy, and they stay in while you dress.

I think they only work on dry hair. I have some Revlon ones that I use for weaves (to straighten curly weave) but when I tried to use them on my own hair when I was relaxed they were too heavy (wouldnt stay in my hair) and too hot. I thought I was gonna burn my scalp. :nono: I have some Conair ones that didn't work as well for my weave but they probably would work for my hair. I never tried them. You might want to try carusos.

Last edited:
I used to use heated rollers and I would come out with a nice, smooth set. I would use them every morning and didn't find them to be damaging my hair.

I haven't used heated rollers, just curling irons (not good!) in the past. I prefer Caruso rollers which uses steam instead of heat to quickly set the hair (dry hair) with beautiful curls. Some of the ladies may call this heat but actually no heat is touching the hair, just moisture. :)

Hi Isis,

I googled the Caruso rollers and they look like the "foam rollers" so I was turned off. What's the texture of your rollers, and is the steam time released?

I have several sets.One with all different sizes, once with very small rollers, one with all large rollers. I like the kinds that don't have that "velvet" stuff on them.
I have the following sets:

I can't find any pics of the small rollers that I have so I'll have to keep looking. I like the conair mainly. it's cheap and I can get it at wal-mart. they come with "pins" which can be a pain, but I do have a revlon set that looks like this: It's actually quite comfy, and they stay in while you dress.

Thanks girl - have you ever tried Caruso rollers?

What ever brand you decide to buy, make sure you know what temp. they reach. Some heated rollers can be more damaging than using a flat iron or curling iron because A, you don't know how hot it is and B, you leave them on longer (usually until they cool).

I actually have my Carus/Conair steam rollers in right now. They are great for my hair. I like that I can straighten my hair with a flat-iron and then not have to use more damaging heat to add curls days later. Also my hair holds the steam curls better than when I use a curling iron.

I don't try to sleep in my steam rollers, so the foam doesn't bother me. Just make sure that your hair is completely dry when you use them and that you don't let the rollers set on the steamer for more than 5-7 seconds. Once my hair cools completely, I just finger-comb the curls and go.

Now your making me want some caruso rollers....i just bought a pibb....and i have fhi.....i dont think my bathroom has room for another item....

I used to use heated rollers and I would come out with a nice, smooth set. I would use them every morning and didn't find them to be damaging my hair.

She took the words right out of my mouth. They were my secret weapon. I looked like I had a fresh doobie everytime I used them.

Hi,

I have been using heat rollers for a few years and they are wonderful. I have the Conair Instant Heat Jumbo Rollers:

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Instant-Jumbo-Sized-Rollers-CHV14IX/dp/B000143SZY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1202010067&sr=8-2

The same set is at Target.com for $23.99.

http://www.target.com/Conair-Instant-Heat-Jumbo-Rollers/dp/B00005A441/sr=1-1/qid=1202009877/ref=sr_1_1/602-6032960-1303033?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Aconair%20hot%20rollers&page=1

I straightened my hair yesterday with my Chi and then used the hot rollers. My hair turned out quite nicely. I would suggest that you use a heat shield styling spray before you flat iron and / or use the hot rollers. I have one by Dove (Intense Damage Therapy) and another by Chi (Thermal Protection Spray) .

Dove Heat Shield Styling Spray:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=173549&catid=9589&aid=336060&aparam=dove_advanced_care_inten&CAID=80f1672c-2f43-4e05-9b03-a8a65c38ec91

Chi Thermal Protection Spray:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-9153735-1419948?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chi+44+iron+guard

I actually need to get a new set of rollers. They do have a velvet covering and it is starting to peel off on a few of them but overall they are still working great!.

Hi,

I have been using heat rollers for a few years and they are wonderful. I have the Conair Instant Heat Jumbo Rollers:

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Instant-Jumbo-Sized-Rollers-CHV14IX/dp/B000143SZY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1202010067&sr=8-2

The same set is at Target.com for $23.99.

http://www.target.com/Conair-Instant-Heat-Jumbo-Rollers/dp/B00005A441/sr=1-1/qid=1202009877/ref=sr_1_1/602-6032960-1303033?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Aconair%20hot%20rollers&page=1

I straightened my hair yesterday with my Chi and then used the hot rollers. My hair turned out quite nicely. I would suggest that you use a heat shield styling spray before you flat iron and / or use the hot rollers. I have one by Dove (Intense Damage Therapy) and another by Chi (Thermal Protection Spray) .

Dove Heat Shield Styling Spray:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=173549&catid=9589&aid=336060&aparam=dove_advanced_care_inten&CAID=80f1672c-2f43-4e05-9b03-a8a65c38ec91

Chi Thermal Protection Spray:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-9153735-1419948?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chi+44+iron+guard

I actually need to get a new set of rollers. They do have a velvet covering and it is starting to peel off on a few of them but overall they are still working great!.

I'll check out the Dove stuff - thanks for this.

Do all heat protectors work the same? I'm wondering if I should opt for the Nexxus brand?

What ever brand you decide to buy, make sure you know what temp. they reach. Some heated rollers can be more damaging than using a flat iron or curling iron because A, you don't know how hot it is and B, you leave them on longer (usually until they cool).

What temperature is "safe" for our hair?

Hi Isis - how do the steam rollers work exactly, with the foam and everything?

I would love it if something showed examples in their foki:rolleyes:

I have the Jilbere Ceramics and I love them!

I usually use a tad of Spray Gel over each damp section, or I do it dry with a dab of a moisturizing cream like None of Your Frizzness from Herbal Essences on the ends.

i see that most use the steam...i didn't check to see if u ladies are relaxed or natural...so...what will that steam do to relaxed hair? I'm interested in these type of rollers, but i get this feeling that its gonna make my relaxed hair frizzy.

I love to use my heated rollers. I always use them on dry hair. they give my hair incredible bounce. But, i don't use that often.

I used to use them everyday a while ago when i always wanted a curly look and never had any problems. My hair was thick and healthy, never had any damage. I just let get to a medium temp and left then in till they were cool. I would of course use a heat protectant of some sort if your going to use them tho.

i see that most use the steam...i didn't check to see if u ladies are relaxed or natural...so...what will that steam do to relaxed hair? I'm interested in these type of rollers, but i get this feeling that its gonna make my relaxed hair frizzy.

I have relaxed hair.

If you hair is damp before you start you will end up with limp hair. If you let the roller sit on the steamer too long, it will also make your hair damp and probably frizzy. Rubbing a little bit of serum or oil over the hair before rolling helps too. Allow the rollers to cool completely and lock the curl in before removing them.

Now your making me want some caruso rollers....i just bought a pibb....and i have fhi.....i dont think my bathroom has room for another item....

Join the club :yep:, I have all that stuff too and I'm a big fan of the Caruso rollers. My dry sets come out shiny and smooth. It's an investment in your hair's health.

The ones I used when I was relaxed looked similar to these and there was a protected metal loop for each roller, to keep them in place while in your hair. The new hot rollers that are made now, use large clips to hold the rollers in place. I don't like those...too heavy for my hair.

The great thing about these hot rollers is that they heat up right in the bag and they are great for travel.

I did not experience any damage from using them, my damage came from curling irons :perplexed.

41eNyl6kElL._SS384_.jpg

Back