Are Doo rags/Du-rags back in style?

My Friend

Went to the mall yesterday and saw a few sista's with Du-rags on :look: They had on earrings, make up and dressed decent so I know this was part of their outfit.

There were not tied to the back or had styles like you see on yt but tied to the front like Tupac or Mammy use to wear.

Is this whats hot in the streets?

thumbnail.aspx

They're bandannas. Somewhat in style, VERY OVERDONE. I skipped this one because something done this hard once last more than another month.

they've been wearing them as headbands. I guess its a little in style now. I never considered them do rags when worn that way tho

I hope not. This is just as bad as seeing grown women wearing bonnets in public.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ive seen them alot where I live but then again St.Louis does have a dominant Jazz scene. Its not only on black women though. My cousin had a bridal shower today and her best friend had one wrapped around her ear-length hair (she's white). I always thought it was more of a hipster thing....

I'm so glad someone else is talking about this. The "mammy" style doo-rag is rampant where I live, not with a hipster twist either. I understand why this is happening, many black people here are low income and most likely don't have knowledge of healthy hair practices. Most women make do in between weaves with doo-rags because their real hair is usually thin and damaged looking. I just wish they would wear more decorative scarves in a classier fashion.

ETA: I see too many women walking around with a doo-rag and sweatpants/pajama pangs on. In the grocery store it's whatever but at the mall.. I do feel a bit embarrassed. I know some folk take issue with embarrassment by proxy but blacks are minorities where I live so I'm more interested in how we represent, just how it is.

I also see a bonnet in public maybe once a week.

Last edited:
Well hopefully white girls will start doing it soon and then we'll know it's an acceptable style. *fingers crossed*

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using LHCF

Ok, when I think of Doo-Rag I think of that black polyester thing with the strings that circle the head a couple of times and tie and then that flap that hangs down in the back. Are we talking about a bandana patterned doo-rag or an actual bandana?

reeko43 said:
Ok, when I think of Doo-Rag I think of that black polyester thing with the strings that circle the head a couple of times and tie and then that flap that hangs down in the back. Are we talking about a bandana patterned doo-rag or an actual bandana?

I think OP confused the two

IDK bout em being bck in style, but I recently began
tying up my 4 yo daughter's hair at nite with a satin
du-rag instead of a satin scarf because it stays on better. I then
cover it with a bonnet just in case it slides off. My fiance is shaven
bald and wears his to prevent sweat from getting in his eyes during workouts and heavy weight lifting.

Ive seen them alot where I live but then again St.Louis does have a dominant Jazz scene. Its not only on black women though. My cousin had a bridal shower today and her best friend had one wrapped around her ear-length hair (she's white). I always thought it was more of a hipster thing....

Well hopefully white girls will start doing it soon and then we'll know it's an acceptable style. *fingers crossed*

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using LHCF

...bella it's approved!!! Take pictures and come back and share.

I'm talking about the bandana :lachen: I was really commenting on how they wear them. They were tied to the front like Tupac and not in the back.

I'm talking about the bandana :lachen: I was really commenting on how they wear them. They were tied to the front like Tupac and not in the back.

:lachen::lachen: Girl, I thought they had come out with a bandana patterned doo rag. Now that would have been way too much!

Back