Are Dominican Stylists Getting Sick of "Us"? (long)

HermioneWeasley

I've had this thought for awhile that Dominican hairstylists for the most part are getting tired of AA customers who are trying to stretch/transition or in any other way don't want to have straight-straight hair every time they walk into the salon. But an experience today really makes me think that I'm going to give up Dominican salons for good.

I went to a place called Rosalia's Unisex on 149th and Amsterdam in New York (and yes, I am putting these arseholes on blast.) They got rave reviews from LHCFers who say that they were good at detangling and getting through new growth. Well, with respect to those LHCF sistas, that was not my experience nor was it the experience of the three other African-American women who were in the salon with me today.

I am about 6 weeks post-relaxer. I don't consider myself to have crazy-thick hair. It's pretty average in thickness, and it's a pretty average mix of 4a/b. In other words, I have roots, but at 6 weeks, I don't think they are out of control. I usually relax every 8-10 weeks. Anyway, I went there because I'm going to be in a financial crunch for awhile and I need to start stretching my relaxers, if I can, so I figured that a place that has been lauded for being able to get through the hair without ripping it out would be ideal.

Uh, no. First, these heffas tried to STEAL my Phyto shampoo! They hid it behind some cheap shampoo while I was under the dryer and then tried to pretend they couldn't understand me when I asked for it. The manager of the place - the one person there who seemed to have any sense - finally came over and "found" my shampoo.

Then came the rinsing of the deep conditioner. They tried to pull a comb through my hair all at once! No sectioning, no nothing! And that's when they started showing their a@@@. The woman combing me out started talking about pelo fuerte. Now, I'm engaged to a Puerto Rican, and me and his sister often talk about beauty and hair. She has hipped me to fact that when a Spanish-speaker talks about "pelo fuerte" they're basically saying "nappy," and in a derogatory manner. So I started keeping me ears open. This woman put in watered down Infusium, rollerset me, and put me under the dryer. To their credit - they didn't leave me under the dryer until the cows came home like my old reliable shop used to. But when I asked for "roots only," I got a lot of rapid Spanish and "pelo fuerte" again. That's when I decided to leave. I told the woman I would pay for the service, but I did not want her blowing out my hair. So I paid, and the cashier (another woman) THREW my change at me. Literally threw it. I could not get out of that place fast enough.

Now I know this is an extreme example, but I've noticed a sort of resentment among a lot of the Dominican shops I frequent. It's as if they're pissed off that they're being used by black women to extend the life of their perms, and some of them seem pissed that they have to work hard to detangle AA hair and they're doing it for pretty cheap prices. I'm noticing more and more salons saying to people, at 4 and 5 weeks post-touch up, "You need a perm, mami." I don't know if this is a laziness thing or motivated by economics or what, but it seems to me that Dominican salons are becoming as horrible about hair health as we've complained that AA salons are, and I don't know why. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

I haven't noticed this, but I don't frequent Dom. salons often, and when I do it's usually after a fresh relaxer. When I go, though, it is wall to wall AA's and maybe 1 or 2 Hispanic ladies. But the stylists are always nice though. Sorry you had a horrible experience, but I don't think it's all Dom. salons. Maybe it's just this one in particular.

Now I know this is an extreme example, but I've noticed a sort of resentment among a lot of the Dominican shops I frequent. It's as if they're pissed off that they're being used by black women to extend the life of their perms, and some of them seem pissed that they have to work hard to detangle AA hair and they're doing it for pretty cheap prices. I'm noticing more and more salons saying to people, at 4 and 5 weeks post-touch up, "You need a perm, mami." I don't know if this is a laziness thing or motivated by economics or what, but it seems to me that Dominican salons are becoming as horrible about hair health as we've complained that AA salons are, and I don't know why. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

I don't think so, I think in general Dom. salons like AA salons would rather do hair when it's "easier" to do meaning without a lot of new growth esp. if your hair is higher on the "napp-o-meter"; I've gotten that in AA and Dom. salons, so I wouldn't just single out Dom. salons.

HermioneWeasley said:
I've had this thought for awhile that Dominican hairstylists for the most part are getting tired of AA customers who are trying to stretch/transition or in any other way don't want to have straight-straight hair every time they walk into the salon. But an experience today really makes me think that I'm going to give up Dominican salons for good.

I went to a place called Rosalia's Unisex on 149th and Amsterdam in New York (and yes, I am putting these arseholes on blast.) They got rave reviews from LHCFers who say that they were good at detangling and getting through new growth. Well, with respect to those LHCF sistas, that was not my experience nor was it the experience of the three other African-American women who were in the salon with me today.

I am about 6 weeks post-relaxer. I don't consider myself to have crazy-thick hair. It's pretty average in thickness, and it's a pretty average mix of 4a/b. In other words, I have roots, but at 6 weeks, I don't think they are out of control. I usually relax every 8-10 weeks. Anyway, I went there because I'm going to be in a financial crunch for awhile and I need to start stretching my relaxers, if I can, so I figured that a place that has been lauded for being able to get through the hair without ripping it out would be ideal.

Uh, no. First, these heffas tried to STEAL my Phyto shampoo! They hid it behind some cheap shampoo while I was under the dryer and then tried to pretend they couldn't understand me when I asked for it. The manager of the place - the one person there who seemed to have any sense - finally came over and "found" my shampoo.

Then came the rinsing of the deep conditioner. They tried to pull a comb through my hair all at once! No sectioning, no nothing! And that's when they started showing their a@@@. The woman combing me out started talking about pelo fuerte. Now, I'm engaged to a Puerto Rican, and me and his sister often talk about beauty and hair. She has hipped me to fact that when a Spanish-speaker talks about "pelo fuerte" they're basically saying "nappy," and in a derogatory manner. So I started keeping me ears open. This woman put in watered down Infusium, rollerset me, and put me under the dryer. To their credit - they didn't leave me under the dryer until the cows came home like my old reliable shop used to. But when I asked for "roots only," I got a lot of rapid Spanish and "pelo fuerte" again. That's when I decided to leave. I told the woman I would pay for the service, but I did not want her blowing out my hair. So I paid, and the cashier (another woman) THREW my change at me. Literally threw it. I could not get out of that place fast enough.

I am not suprised at your experience. The place I frequent (love them dearly) had problems similar to yours when it came to combing my hair. That's why sometimes, I wash at home, put conditioner in, throw a plastic bag over my head, get on the train and by the time I get there, detangling should be a breeze for them.

Also, my intentions for going to dominican salons has never been for hair health. Yes, the roller set is better than blow drying and flat ironing, but to me, that's the only difference I have experienced at a dominican salon as opposed to an AA salon. I will neva, eva,eva, eva, eva go to a dominican salon for a perm. I have seen them do perms and I swear one girl had perm cream in her hair for 45 minutes once.

I do agree with you about the fact that they get offended when you stretch and then don't want a relaxer. But that may be any salon. That's why when it's time for a perm, I do my "pelo fuerte" hair myself!

Last edited:
That's why I am so thankful for my stylist, who is also my uncle (Trinidadian). He can do all kinds of hair and has been doing my hair since a little girl. Never has he relaxed more that my roots and tight curls do not phase him at all. I've heard the Dominicans at one salon out here tell people they will only do relaxed hair. Personally, I'd rather go to my uncle or to Ethiopians.

I went with a friend of mine to one salon and there were two or three Ethiopian stylist. These two sisters came in with natural hair on their butt and lower back and the stylists washed, blew out and pressed their hair. It looked gorgeous.

Last edited:
currygyal said:
That's why I am so thankful for my stylist, who is also my uncle (Trinidadian). He can do all kinds of hair and has been doing my hair since a little girl. Never has he relaxed more that my roots and tight curls do not phase him at all. I've heard the Dominicans at one salon out here tell people they will only do relaxed hair. Personally, I'd rather go to my uncle or to Ethiopians.

I went with a friend of mine to one salon and there were two or three Ethiopian stylist. These two sisters came in with natural hair on their butt and lower back and the stylists washed, blew out and pressed their hair. It looked gorgeous.
OT: I haven't been to a stylist since '97 but I would be very tempted to visited an eithopian stylist because I remember how healthy and long two girls from my undergrads hair was.

foxybrownsugar said:
OT: I haven't been to a stylist since '97 but I would be very tempted to visited an eithopian stylist because I remember how healthy and long two girls from my undergrads hair was.

I think it's worth it to try. I hardly straighten my hair but one of these days when my uncle is busy, I'm going to head over there. If they do it just and well or better, it's bye-bye to the Dominicans.

I've experienced this too. Some stylists do not like to manage hair when you have a lot of new growth, they will encourage you to relax sooner than you'd like. Some may even get nasty about it and talk about you in Spanish and screw up thier faces. Luckily, I have found a hairdresser in Brooklyn that I adore. She patiently handled my little cousin's natural hair w/o complaining or griping. She just took her time and did it between doing my rollerset and someone elses. If anyone is interested in this salon PM me for info.

ghanaian dime said:
I am not suprised at your experience. The place I frequent (love them dearly) had problems similar to yours when it came to combing my hair. That's why sometimes, I wash at home, put conditioner in, throw a plastic bag over my head, get on the train and by the time I get there, detangling should be a breeze for them.

Also, my intentions for going to dominican salons has never been for hair health. Yes, the roller set is better than blow drying and flat ironing, but to me, that's the only difference I have experienced at a dominican salon as opposed to an AA salon. I will neva, eva,eva, eva, eva go to a dominican salon for a perm. I have seen them do perms and I swear one girl had perm cream in her hair for 45 minutes once.

I do agree with you about the fact that they get offended when you stretch and then don't want a relaxer. But that may be any salon. That's why when it's time for a perm, I do my "pelo fuerte" hair myself!
Hermione,

I am so sorry you had this experience at the one of the many Dominican spots. I can't say I have ever had the experience, but I don't don't go often to the salon anymore now. I hated the fact that it was like a sweat shop and I can definitely relate to having a relaxer on for too long on a Saturday (that was it for me).

Well, even though you had this experience, you can move on from it and never, ever go back to that spot, or just give your hair the TLC it needs (or maybe start to self relax, if you haven't done so already)

I used to go to the Dominicans- they never said anything but did sigh alot when my new growth was thick.

I stopped going to them when I learned how to set my own hair. They used too much heat. Even just blowing out the roots, broke off my hair around my hair line sooooo badly.

Last edited:
My cousins go to dominicans and one of them that has 4b hair, they're always making faces when doing her hair, even when she has a fresh relaxer. I know all of them are not this way but I'd never go to one of their shops to get my hair done.

I had the same experenice too and I've been to 2 salons. I was trying to go natural and changed my mind after 6 months and relaxed. I will not go back to any DS. I notice that if your not a regular they treat you badly. I lost so much hair, she was ruff, and nasty. WHen I got home I had my cousin cut my hair to my ears, it was so bad. I will not be going back. I can take better care of my hair at home. NEVER AGAIN!!!

I don't care if they are, they best shut up and do my hair right!!!:lol:

Just playing...:look: sort of...

Britt said:
I've experienced this too. Some stylists do not like to manage hair when you have a lot of new growth, they will encourage you to relax sooner than you'd like. Some may even get nasty about it and talk about you in Spanish and screw up thier faces. Luckily, I have found a hairdresser in Brooklyn that I adore. She patiently handled my little cousin's natural hair w/o complaining or griping. She just took her time and did it between doing my rollerset and someone elses. If anyone is interested in this salon PM me for info.

I agree. However, there is a Dominican salon near me. That lady patiently did my hair, (5 months post) and didn't complain...SO I'd blame it on those nasty women at that salon...I've been to them before, (I used to live across the street) and had no problems.

Well, I got rejected by one Dominican salon when I was transitioning. They reached up into my head and felt my roots in front of the entire salon. They told me to come back on Sunday when the salon is normally closed. I guess I would slow down their assembly line. Then they so graciously offered me a perm. I one-two stepped by butt out of there.

I am so sorry that you guys had such bad experiences. :(
I miss you, Kathy, wherever you are!!!! She was my dominican stylist, the best stylist I ever had. She was so gentle with my hair!

currygyal said:

Where is your uncle's and this Ethopian salon located? I live in No. Virginia and the sistas who go to AA stylist are walking around with some messed up hair! I want to get a blowout, but don't want to deal with harrassment from Dominicans. Any recommendations?

I'm a 3c/4a natural, by the way.

That is quite unfortunate. In my experience the only salons that I have been to that were primarily into healthcare were AA salons--thats why its funny that a lot of people speak about AA with such disdain. Its just a matter of finding a good one. I have had my fair share of people that were just into getting the style but for the most part, I have had hairdressers that grew my hair very healthy and long. They were just too damn expensive. Thats where the dominicans come in and in NY there are even a few Hatiian salons too like Yole. Anyway, when you go into the "factories" they just want you in and out. I don't think its nothing discriminitory. For $10-$20 I dont' expect them to do anything extra to my hair. I consider the dominicans salons just a step up from me doing it for the purpose of saving time. (That is when I had a relaxer ) I don't think they mean to be offensive, they just like straight hair and don't understand why anyone wouldn't perm. I have family members w/ curly hair that get relaxers ---its just a cultural thing w/ them. But in the case of that salon...they may have been a little triflin'

Last edited:
qtgirl said:
I don't think so, I think in general Dom. salons like AA salons would rather do hair when it's "easier" to do meaning without a lot of new growth esp. if your hair is higher on the "napp-o-meter"; I've gotten that in AA and Dom. salons, so I wouldn't just single out Dom. salons.

I agree. I go to one Dom salon exclusively and I have good relations with them that I've cultivated and developed over time, but doesn't mean all Doms are gonna necessarily treat me right. People are the same no matter their race or culture. Some folks just don't wanna work hard if they can avoid it and some folks just not nice, and that's true for doms, AAs, whites, whatever. Lord knows I've had some baaaad experiences with AA's, so I wouldn't single doms out. . .

I have had some Dominican visits that were not so wonderful, and I have had others that were really nice. I think it depends on the salon IMO. But also, I never really go to these salons expecting them to do what I know they don't. I know they like to perm some hair at the hint of new growth, so I just stop going after five weeks. I don't really expect the world for $15-20 bucks. I like their roller sets and many of their products and so that is why I go. If I really want some more personalized care, I wouldn't go to the Dominican salons since most work more assembly line style (which is ok with me for the money I pay). And my hair has grown since getting doobies, so I am pretty happy with what they do.

I am not surprised. A friend of mine used to go there years ago and she said they were ALWAYS nasty to her. Once she grew up and grew a backbone (lol) she stopped going there.

qtgirl said:
ITA the AA salons are just as guilty. I think "some" people, maybe not you think of DOM salons as their hair savior when they can get the same blowout, etc at a AA. DOM salons are just cheaper.

Ntrlmystik said:
That is quite unfortunate. In my experience the only salons that I have been to that were primarily into healthcare were AA salons--thats why its funny that a lot of people speak about AA with such disdain. Its just a matter of finding a good one. I have had my fair share of people that were just into getting the style but for the most part, I have had hairdressers that grew my hair very healthy and long. They were just too damn expensive. Thats where the dominicans come in and in NY there are even a few Hatiian salons too like Yole. Anyway, when you go into the "factories" they just want you in and out. I don't think its nothing discriminitory. For $10-$20 I dont' expect them to do anything extra to my hair. I consider the dominicans salons just a step up from me doing it for the purpose of saving time. (That is when I had a relaxer ) I don't think they mean to be offensive, they just like straight hair and don't understand why anyone wouldn't perm. I have family members w/ curly hair that get relaxers ---its just a cultural thing w/ them. But in the case of that salon...they may have been a little triflin'

I know what you mean. My hairstylist was AA and the only person I would let perm and trim/cut my hair. I started going to Rosalina's only for wash & sets off and on from '99-2003. There was an older lady there I let do my hair and she was always gentle and not heavy with the heat. Since she left and a few others I've noticed the attitudes. I went there once last year and this woman Carmen did my hair with no problems as well. But, I can tell the vibe is different in there now.

Wow. I've never gone to a Dominican salon because I went with a friend once years ago and they used too much heat. In general...I thought the whole process was too rough for "our" hair.

If I had to go though...I speak enough Spanish where I could go toe to toe with a hooka if need be. :D

Sugarhoney said:
Where is your uncle's and this Ethopian salon located? I live in No. Virginia and the sistas who go to AA stylist are walking around with some messed up hair! I want to get a blowout, but don't want to deal with harrassment from Dominicans. Any recommendations?

I'm a 3c/4a natural, by the way.

The salon where my uncle works is in Crystal City - HairTech. The Ethiopian salon is in Maryland, think in City Place. PM me and i'll give you my uncles' name and number.

Back