Applying less product while using heat?

bb09

I really want to start using heat, but I'm not sure how to go from half a palm size of product, to less when using heat (blowdrying, then straightening roots).

I know you need minimal products for good results, but how do you go about really covering your hair but with minimal product? How do you know if you've overdone it?

Last edited:
I really want to start using heat, but I'm not sure how to go from half a palm size of product, to less when using heat (blowdrying, then straightening roots).

I know you need minimal products for good results, but how do you go about really covering your hair but with minimal product? How do you know if you've overdone it?

You use the same logic you use moisturizing your body. You don't need oodles of product to know that you've moisturized your hands or body properly. You rub between palms and smooth it over you body and rub in till it's absorbed.

To be sure I've applied enough protectant, I usually airdry my hair in plaits. My first protectant is a spray so I take a small section and spray it to wet it. Because it was dry, it getting wet is my way of knowing I've fully covered the hair.

I usually do a wet-to-dry press, but if I used to rollerset, this would be the time to do it--after wetting it with the spray.

Once I've done one flat-iron to dry. I then section out narrow sections that I smooth with serum from base to ends. Because I work on small sections, there's no mistaking when the section is coated from base to ends. I don't need a lot, but I can feel when the hair is well coated. I don't know how to explain this. You just use the minimum needed to coat the hair. Err on the side of using too little because you can add. I've never been heavy handed with anything so I honestly don't know if I can help someone heavy handed figure this out.

If you've seen westNDNbeauty's flatironing regimen, then you will have seen how little product is needed to get good results. Go crazy during the DCing step if you must. The actual press should have little to no products.

try using sections( i recommend 4 for straightening) instead of doing the whole head at once which makes it less over whelming. never use more than a nickel size of serum per section with the ideal being a dime size.

when you use to much you will be able to feel product on the hair during/after the blow dry and if you blow dry the hair at least 70% straight and it doesnt have movement.

when you use minimal products sometimes you wont be able to feel the products true effect on the hair until the flat iron is used.

also apply on damp hair and comb though. this way the little product you do use can get diluted and spread out more so you can use less to get all of the strands.

i also have natural hair so you might have to use even less product because you are relaxed.

Be heavy handed with your DC for at least an hour. Then just use a little leave in and protectant and you're good to go. The DC is the most important thing:yep:

Be heavy handed with your DC for at least an hour. Then just use a little leave in and protectant and you're good to go. The DC is the most important thing:yep:
All of this. A good dc helps retain moisture when flatironing which would limit the amount moisturizing while hair is flatironed.

My best heat styling comes from going light on product. Sectioning and dispersing product will help you reduce the amount you need. I also use mist/ pump bottles whenever possible to control how much I use.

@Nonie, @Napp, @hothair, @ms.blue, @Your Cheeziness
I should have put "best way to apply product to new growth [while using heat]" or "how not to underapply product to new growth [while using heat]".

When I kind of smush product onto my new growth with my palm (AO WC con), it doesn't get moisturised, so I follow with diluted conditioner (still AO WC) when my hair's fully dried.. Would that be too much when using heat?

You're going to have to part, make sections, and apply lightly. Then comb through to distribute. A rule of thumb I use when applying product is that if I can see if on my hands or my hair after distributing, I've used too much. You really don't need much. Heat protection starts with properly moisturized hair.

I would skip leaving a diluted deep conditioner on my hair. It's not a popular practice, but I never use a leave in when I heat style. I shampoo, DC, towel dry, apply CHI Straight Guard, blowdry, mist hair with Fantasia heat protectant spray, and flat iron.

@Nonie, @Napp, @hothair, @ms.blue, @Your Cheeziness
I should have put "best way to apply product to new growth [while using heat]" or "how not to underapply product to new growth [while using heat]".

When I kind of smush product onto my new growth with my palm (AO WC con), it doesn't get moisturised, so I follow with diluted conditioner (still AO WC) when my hair's fully dried.. Would that be too much when using heat?

Hi bb09, when I used to be relaxed, the way I'd moisturize my new growth was the same way one applies products to scalp: part a small section, use my finger to either scoop or dip into product and then smooth it on (In this case, from base to end of growth; you might have to rub thumb and first two fingers together and have the hair held between the two to apply to both sides of narrow section. Section should be so narrow that your fingers and thumb are practically touching. I don't think there's any way to get it wrong if you just apply enough to ensure hair has product on it. If you apply too much, you'll still have product on your fingers so you won't need to dip again but can part the next section and apply again. One minute hair isn't shine, the other it is.

Put another way, when you apply serum to fingers and smooth into the narrow section of the hair, you can apply on another narrow section if you still have some left in fingers and you probably can return to first section to get some of the extra. You should apply and fingers be left w/o so you know you need to get more for next section.

Hopefully someone else can break it down better than I can, but I'm not sure I get where the disconnect is.

bb09,
I still stand by a good moistuzing deep treatment will help retain moisture. If just apply to new growth, part your hair like if getting a relaxer done. Rub your moisturizer (something creamy) in your hand and apply sprayingly (sp) to each section. Then rub your fingers on your hair closer to the root like you are giving yourself a head massage. Comb your hair w/ a wide tooth comb and either wrap or pin curl and place your hair underneath a silk bonnet. That should moisturize your new growth. I hope this make sense.

Hi bb09, when I used to be relaxed, the way I'd moisturize my new growth was the same way one applies products to scalp: part a small section, use my finger to either scoop or dip into product and then smooth it on (In this case, from base to end of growth; you might have to rub thumb and first two fingers together and have the hair held between the two to apply to both sides of narrow section. Section should be so narrow that your fingers and thumb are practically touching. I don't think there's any way to get it wrong if you just apply enough to ensure hair has product on it. If you apply too much, you'll still have product on your fingers so you won't need to dip again but can part the next section and apply again. One minute hair isn't shine, the other it is.

Put another way, when you apply serum to fingers and smooth into the narrow section of the hair, you can apply on another narrow section if you still have some left in fingers and you probably can return to first section to get some of the extra. You should apply and fingers be left w/o so you know you need to get more for next section.

Hopefully someone else can break it down better than I can, but I'm not sure I get where the disconnect is.

Nonie -that really REALLY explains it. I never mastered applying a sensible amount of product to my body :lol::nono:. I use way too much.. I just wait for it to absorb.

Funnily enough, I've never thought to section my hair in parts like that -even when relaxing.. I never get all my hair in one go (when moisturising). I hope it's still easy to part and apply while wet/damp. Thank you ! x

@bb09,
I still stand by a good moistuzing deep treatment will help retain moisture. If just apply to new growth, part your hair like if getting a relaxer done. Rub your moisturizer (something creamy) in your hand and apply sprayingly (sp) to each section. Then rub your fingers on your hair closer to the root like you are giving yourself a head massage. Comb your hair w/ a wide tooth comb and either wrap or pin curl and place your hair underneath a silk bonnet. That should moisturize your new growth. I hope this make sense.
ms.blue -Thanks for breaking it down like that. That does make sense.

@bb09 - off topic re: your dry ng. I forgot to mention in the other thread that we were chatting in that I use diluted Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier when I'm 6-8 weeks post to keep my ng moisturized. I know that's not your particular question in this thread but recall you suffer from dry ng from the other thread.

@bb09 - off topic re: your dry ng. I forgot to mention in the other thread that we were chatting in that I use diluted Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier when I'm 6-8 weeks post to keep my ng moisturized. I know that's not your particular question in this thread but recall you suffer from dry ng from the other thread.
divachyk -aw, thank you. You've been a lot of help, seriously.
The protective mist bodifier wasn't moisturising enough when I used it though.. I'm def not gonna give products away again unless it Really doesn't work for me. I can't double or triple check that it doesn't work now.

@bb09, you are so very welcome. The TWPMB (Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier) wasn't moisturizing enough for me either straight out of the bottle either but I held on to it and ran across a great diluted mixture as listed here within this thread. My ng loves it diluted. Full strength, not at all. HTH.

@bb09, you are so very welcome. The TWPMB (Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier) wasn't moisturizing enough for me either straight out of the bottle either but I held on to it and ran across a great diluted mixture as listed here within this thread. My ng loves it diluted. Full strength, not at all. HTH.
Thanks for that! I don't like how they keep changing the formulas at all. I definitely had the 'lhcf 2009' version.

Back