APL to BSL by protective styling question

I kept my hair in twists and then I braided the twists and put them in a bun. Castor oil on my ends helped also. I keep my hair up most of the time in the above manner or up in a clip.

The ladies who went from APL to BSL did protective styling help you to get to BSL faster?

That's what I'm hoping. I have been constantly bunning for three weeks. I can see a difference. Moisturizing at least once a day, Sealing with avocado oil has made my hair a little stronger. I think you'll get there in no time chica:grin:

Yes it did. Bunning or some other PS and keeping the ends moisturised helped me to retain all my growth.

Keeping my ends protected and wet/damp got me to BSL waaaay ahead of schedule. Works wonders :)

That's what I'm hoping. I have been constantly bunning for three weeks. I can see a difference. Moisturizing at least once a day, Sealing with avocado oil has made my hair a little stronger. I think you'll get there in no time chica:grin:

Same here! Glad to know I'm on the right track w/ bunning,moisturizing and sealing..I thought getting past SL was hard for me but getting past APL has it's own story for me. I must get me some avocado oil...I hear a lot of great things about it!

Last edited:
Hi

Yes wearing protective styles (weave in my case) helped ALOT. I got to BSL from APL in about7-8 months I think... and I cut it a few times as I was transitioning.

Keeping the hair protected from any type of exposure to breakage really makes a difference in the retention of length and the speed of retaining it.

what are you ladies moisturizing with? I assume you're sealing with oils but i'd love to know what you guys are moisturizing with and your techniques and styles. I am trying to stay away from braids so i need to find another way to protect my ends.

Yup Yup and Yup. Protective styling, air drying, and moisturizing (hehe that rhymes)...

But be careful with bunning. Make sure you are either co-washing often or moisturizing your ends religiously because your ends can take a beating from no being smoothed out.

Last edited:
I think protective styling will help you get over ANY length hump.
ITA, I'm not sure it made it grow any faster but it kept me from playing around in it, and was pleasantly surprised when I did my length checks.

Wet buns and twistouts were my style of choice.

Yes, I absolutely fell bunning helped me achieve my length. It was like I woke up one day and my hair was just toucking bsl and now I am well past bsl and it was in buns most of that time.

what are you ladies moisturizing with? I assume you're sealing with oils but i'd love to know what you guys are moisturizing with and your techniques and styles. I am trying to stay away from braids so i need to find another way to protect my ends.

yes i would also like to know this....

Back