APL 2012 Challenge

Hi Ladies

I don't post often even though I have signed up for this challenge. I believe that I had a set back this week on my path to APL. I was out of town for the week and decided to flat iron my hair for the occasion. In my mind, the most care that I would do to it when it began to look bad would be to put the hair in a ponytail. Well when i got home the first thing I did was wash my hair. Now looking at the ends of my hair, I believe that I have heat damage. I am really sick about this.:sad:

Hi Ladies

I don't post often even though I have signed up for this challenge. I believe that I had a set back this week on my path to APL. I was out of town for the week and decided to flat iron my hair for the occasion. In my mind, the most care that I would do to it when it began to look bad would be to put the hair in a ponytail. Well when i got home the first thing I did was wash my hair. Now looking at the ends of my hair, I believe that I have heat damage. I am really sick about this.:sad:

don't get discouraged yet! dc your hair a few times this coming week. it may just be that way because you just got it straightened. i remember i got my hair straightened. it was terrible, my curls didn't snap back. i was looking like someone from Ready For The World! :lol:

but don't worry, just trying deep conditioning it for an hour or so. do this several times for the next few days.

Hi Ladies

JazzyOleBabe no worries your hair should return to its natural form. Did you use a heat protectant to protect your hair from flat-iron heat damage? Also what temperature did you flat-iron your hair at? Perhaps the heat setting was too high. A looooooooong time ago I use to put in a leave-in and then a heat protectant before flat-ironing my hair.

shortdub78 is right deep conditioning should definitely help. Have you read up on how to bag your ends? a few ladies in this forum baggy their ends as part of their reggie :up:

livinthevida

Yes. Actually I used 2 types of heat protectorants. One was grapessed oil and the other one was Jane Carter's natural hold spray. Temp of iron was around 370 degrees. I also had a leave in which I use with every wash. Was this too much? As you can probably tell I rarely straighten my hair. No I have never baggied the ends, when I baggy, its the whole head.

@itsjusthair88 I hope everything is alright with your hair.

Thanks...I do to

Are you sure its breakage or is it possible you just have hairs growing that are at different lengths at growing at different rates?

I really can't tell, the hairs are just sticking up everywhere and I can't get my hair to lay down. I really think I forced my hair to go into ponytail before it was "ready" to. I am washing and DC'ing tonight, and putting in some twists to wear over the next week or 2. I might get it trimmed in the next month or 2 as well. IDK, I am so tired of this in-between stage, I'm ready to be APL.

livinthevida

Yes. Actually I used 2 types of heat protectorants. One was grapessed oil and the other one was Jane Carter's natural hold spray. Temp of iron was around 370 degrees. I also had a leave in which I use with every wash. Was this too much? As you can probably tell I rarely straighten my hair. No I have never baggied the ends, when I baggy, its the whole head.
JazzyOleBabe hard to tell if it was the temperature or grapeseed that may have done the damage. CurlyNikki has a great article here on never needing a temperature above 350 when flat-ironing hair. I am happy to hear you rarely flat-iron too!

Do you think it was the wash, what product did you use when washing your hair?

JazzyOleBabe said:
livinthevida

Holding spray can be used as a heat protectant?

I don't know if I'll make APL this year because of the setback in January that resulted in a major cut but hey, there's always next year right? Not that I'm giving up or this year because I'm not. There's still 9.5 months left to go - I'm very optimistic:grin:.

NikkiQ said:
Here are a few pics of my twist out. SUPER short,but I love it.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

Yea! Are you having fun with your hair now? Girl you shinkage is like mine!

diadall said:
Yea! Are you having fun with your hair now? Girl you shinkage is like mine!

Yeah a little fun. Shrinkage is a BEYOTCH!! I can never show my true length without having it flat ironed. It's ridiculous lol

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

@kittenz i love these twists! what do you use to retain your length?

If I twist my hair wet or dry they are shorter by end of day unless I pin them down by the lower end of my neck with bobby pins they will dry at a shorter length :perplexed

livinthevida Thank you! I twisted dry hair and my twist were a little shorter this morning but not much. I really don't mind though. I just hate when they get misshapen so I misted them today to make them hang straight which made them shrink more :spinning: So the short answer is... nothing.

livinthevida

I shampooed with SSI Jojoba Hemp , Cond with SSI Avocado cond, DC with Komaza Olive Moisture Mask & QB AOHC(Yummy) and used Leave in & QB OHHB.

@ HauteHippie

Jane Carter - Natural Hold Spray Gel - from back of bottle - designed to be used during heat styling xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - prevents further damage to hair when used as a curling spray.:perplexed

Beatiful hairstyles in hair.your.doing Well ladies .
I.see others have trouble though:stay in.girls.everything will be better just try dc putting à protective style too.

Im having à little is : my hair issue not as.strong as last month in my braids under wig .when i touch my conrows to moisturize i have small hairs in my hand. And ithe moistuture goes away faster . WHAT IS GOING ON?
This IS What i changed at This month shampoo: i didnt do proteine treatment,i added leave in..then heat serum.and blow dried (i.lost more hair than last blow dry too) . I then moisturized with.scurl.gel and did not add that tiny amount of shea ... Do you think.its too much i did.with product such as leave in...or my.hair.just.loves protein which i didnt do?

Last edited:
Hey everyone, checking in...couldn't decide what to do with my hair this weekend after my henna treatment which by the way I botched up:nono:. It took me two days to completely rinse out the henna, lesson learned-leave well enough alone. Anyway I went back to old faithful, two strand twists, and I'm thinking I'll just wear those for a few weeks. I pulled them up into a bun for work and really liked the affect.

Attachments

• twist bun.jpg
    twist bun.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 23
Before bed, I put my hair in about 8 or 9 braids to stretch it out a bit more. I wonder how it will look when I take it down later. I'll be sure to post pics.

Yesterday I had a braid and curl. It was much shorter and shrunken up. Today I just did a braidout without the rollers. more stretched out.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Attachments

• image-902379630.jpg
    image-902379630.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image-919887154.jpg
    image-919887154.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image-2607104108.jpg
    image-2607104108.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 22
So I mixed my dye and developer... And I don't have enough for this massive hair (read head) of mine! DAM(n), DAM(n),DAM(n)!

So my lovely mother is making the run to Sally's for me. In the meantime one half of my hair will be processed and the other will not be.

On top of that I'm not sure this Demi will take!? The purpose was to cover the lighter of my two tone, but I'm doing my whole head. So I might be dyeing next month with henna instead. I don't want to do any additional damage to my hair than absolutely necessary.

ETA: So the dye did cover the color pretty well, I'm happy to report! Sitting with my banana DC now. I'll have to mud wash next weekend because I see build up!

Last edited:
Thanks...I do to

I really can't tell, the hairs are just sticking up everywhere and I can't get my hair to lay down. I really think I forced my hair to go into ponytail before it was "ready" to. I am washing and DC'ing tonight, and putting in some twists to wear over the next week or 2. I might get it trimmed in the next month or 2 as well. IDK, I am so tired of this in-between stage, I'm ready to be APL.

Hang in there itsjusthair88. I understand your frustration. The end between stage is tough. We are further than we were and we can see the potential but it just seems a long time coming. But we are closer than we think and we can make it.

I have a lot of those hairs sticking up. They aren't always breakage. Just switch to a style that allows you to see your hair in a more beautiful light. I am a long way from wearing a ponytail. So I skip those.

^^^Do you do your twists on wet,damp,or dry hair? Shrinkage kills me no matter how I do them.

On damp hair when I did the braid and curl. When I want it to be more stretched out I will rebraid it dry. Well not really dry but pretty much. I just do an all over mist with my spray bottle. That's it. So it's more like I walked through a mister.

kittenz yes! I am currently transitioning. I did a set of twists a few weeks ago and my boyfriend loved them but I didnt care too much for them. However I will do them again soon. I was surprised they actually stayed in. Next time I do them I will try to style them in a pretty way. I love decorative twists

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back