APL`13 Challenge

LovLeeLaDee said:
Lovin your hair! Very beautiful! Does your hair grow the "normal" .5" a month? Also, has henna loosened your curls?

We all may need to update our starting pics once 2013 gets here.

Thanks :D I think my hair grows about half an inch per month. Might be slower in my front. My front has aaaalllways been shorter than the back! Thankfully, no. Henna has not loosened my curls. I already have this wonky curl pattern on the top of my hair, I couldn't stand for it to be any looser!

This is going to be my first challenge (not counting lurking). As we get closer to the date, I'll post my details. I plan on finishing some oils and getting new products in the next month.

CharnellG said:
@ loveleeladee - im not sure. I usually leave a little out, but that has burnt my edges out because I have to straighten them everyday to make them blend :( I prefer to leave some out because I don't like the wiggish look from full but idk we'll see. If I could just find something to tame my damn edges without heat..

You ever considered a curly weave. I tried to go natural once

Attachments

• image-3486470741.jpg
    image-3486470741.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Ive been taking care of my hair for exactly 1 week (opposed to LITERALLY not taking care of my hair AT ALL) And I feel like new growth is coming in already. Is this all in my peanut brain???!!

CharnellG said:
Does anyone have any advice or know any products that will grow out my edges??

I have read/heard that castor oil is great for that. I've been thinking about trying it myself. My edges aren't bad at all, but I do have a bit of breakage here and there. Probably from wearing my hair pulled back too tight in the past. SMH. Lesson learned. Hahaha!

aishasoleil said:
I have read/heard that castor oil is great for that. I've been thinking about trying it myself. My edges aren't bad at all, but I do have a bit of breakage here and there. Probably from wearing my hair pulled back too tight in the past. SMH. Lesson learned. Hahaha!

I actually have been using castor oil directly to my edges the past week so let's see what happens

Ha! I never knew when I joined LHCF, I would become an expert on MN! LOL MN at least doubles my monthly growth. I can see a noticeable length difference within 2 weeks of using it. MN helped me move from shoulder length to APL...I was stuck!

If you do decide to use it, be on the lookout for headaches. Some people complain about headaches; I didn't have any. I have used both directly and mixed; I think I got more dramatic results using directly twice a day. During this challenge, I use MN once a day. I have a mix of WGHO, apricot oil, MN, and few drops of peppermint oil. My scalp seems to love it!

Of course, I was skeptical too about using, so I advise everyone to do your own research and see whether MN is for you.

I'm actually working on growing my edges back too...they left me for a variety of reasons...too much tension on my fine edges, meds, etc. I have some little curlies coming in so I'm happy. I use MN in the am and I use an EO blend at night.. If you decide not to use MN, you could still use the EOs.

EO blend: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=8805&postcount=1

Last edited:
CafedeBelleza said:
You ever considered a curly weave. I tried to go natural once

That is cute! I don't like the full weaves that make me look like I have no hairline lol that looks very natural! What type of hair is that? Plus, how do you say "I want a natural looking weave?" no enclosure thing, just make it look like a real hairline.

gforceroy said:
I have been using MN to grow my edges. It has been working for me pretty well.

Ooohwee gforceroy & jprayze! I can't fathom putting MN on my scalp! lol not judging anyone that uses it. Maybe I can be a convert with proper convincing!

I had this tiny patch in front, on my hairline, that was not gone, just thin and I wanted more hair. I used JBCO I never got worse only better and it filled in not overnight, but over time(maybe 6months while using it 2x a week) But I really believe each person will have their own results, just depends on treatment & diligence.

Ooohwee @gforceroy & @jprayze! I can't fathom putting MN on my scalp! lol not judging anyone that uses it. Maybe I can be a convert with proper convincing!

I had this tiny patch in front, on my hairline, that was not gone, just thin and I wanted more hair. I used JBCO I never got worse only better and it filled in not overnight, but over time(maybe 6months while using it 2x a week) But I really believe each person will have their own results, just depends on treatment & diligence.

Miconazole nitrate is used all over the body to treat a variety of conditions: Ringworm of Groin Area, Athlete's Foot, Ringworm of the Body, Fungal Infection of the Skin with Yellow Patches, and Skin Infection due to a Candida Yeast. Most people associate it with the last condition.

It's also related to Ketoconazole. This cream is used to treat tinea corporis (ringworm; fungal skin infection that causes a red scaly rash on different parts of the body), tinea cruris (jock itch; fungal infection of the skin in the groin or buttocks), tinea pedis (athlete's foot; fungal infection of the skin on the feet and between the toes), tinea versicolor (fungal infection that causes brown or light colored spots on the chest, back, arms, legs, or neck), and yeast infections of the skin. Prescription ketoconazole shampoo is used to treat tinea versicolor. Over-the-counter ketoconazole shampoo is used to control flaking, scaling, and itching of the scalp caused by dandruff. Ketoconazole and MN are in a class of antifungal medications called imidazoles.

jprayze said:
Miconazole nitrate is used all over the body to treat a variety of conditions: Ringworm of Groin Area, Athlete's Foot, Ringworm of the Body, Fungal Infection of the Skin with Yellow Patches, and Skin Infection due to a Candida Yeast. Most people associate it with the last condition.

It's also related to Ketoconazole. This cream is used to treat tinea corporis (ringworm; fungal skin infection that causes a red scaly rash on different parts of the body), tinea cruris (jock itch; fungal infection of the skin in the groin or buttocks), tinea pedis (athlete's foot; fungal infection of the skin on the feet and between the toes), tinea versicolor (fungal infection that causes brown or light colored spots on the chest, back, arms, legs, or neck), and yeast infections of the skin. Prescription ketoconazole shampoo is used to treat tinea versicolor. Over-the-counter ketoconazole shampoo is used to control flaking, scaling, and itching of the scalp caused by dandruff. Ketoconazole and MN are in a class of antifungal medications called imidazoles.

I have been lurking in other threads to see if I want to try this but idk. I guess I'm scared lol. I do wanna actually try it before I knock it though.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

jprayze said:

Thanks for the info! jprayze I'm going to stalk the MN thread to see what the fuss is about. What kind of results do you look to get, especially if you don't have dandruff?

MN won't be on my to try list but I've read
Good things about it. I just applied shapleys MTG to my scalp for the first time last night and I'm proudly walking around smelling like a BBQ. I hope this stuff works as good as my research tells me it does !

Haven't updated in a while ,hope everyone is well ,my hair is beautiful I'm starting to witness thickness and I have my Reggie down.packed now so happy can't wait to reach apl next year

it's ok, were gonna ACE this challenge together, i flunked APL 2012 too!

May I join pretty please? I see some of my buddies in here. I flunked @NikkiQ's APL 2012 class and need one more chance :grin:

1. Current hair length S/L
2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/TransitioningNATURAL
3. Goal MonthDECEMBER 2013
4. Current Reggie and styling choices C0-WASH ~2x wk, DC 1x wk, DUST~ 8wks, PROTIEN~ 8wks/BRAIDS
5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?MY HAIR JUST GROWS SLOW, I JUST NEED TO BE PATIENT
6. Post a beginning picture

legnth0930_zpscce1157b.jpg

CharnellG said:
MN won't be on my to try list but I've read
Good things about it. I just applied shapleys MTG to my scalp for the first time last night and I'm proudly walking around smelling like a BBQ. I hope this stuff works as good as my research tells me it does !

Lol! It smells burnt or whaaaat? Thanks to jprayze I may try MN next year, but I am gettin back on my megatek for now. I still have about 40% of my bottle left so I'm gonna use that up first. I felt like I got good results, some growth definite strength, but my scalp itched a lot. This time I mixed it with grapeseed oil & JBCO, so we'll see.

My Viviscal came in today so of course I popped one of those immediately. Haha! I decided today is as good a day as any to start my vitamin regimen. Along with getting back on Viviscal, I'm starting back up with a multi. My daily multi of choice is Nature's Way "Alive". Downside is that the pill is freaking huge! I down half a 20oz bottle of water just to get one of those things down. And my gag reflex still kicks in.

aishasoleil said:
My Viviscal came in today so of course I popped one of those immediately. Haha! I decided today is as good a day as any to start my vitamin regimen. Along with getting back on Viviscal, I'm starting back up with a multi. My daily multi of choice is Nature's Way "Alive". Downside is that the pill is freaking huge! I down half a 20oz bottle of water just to get one of those things down. And my gag reflex still kicks in.

lol! I feel u! No sense in hesitating if it's here. How long did you use it before? Did you get visible results?
I'm lookin for a new multi vit with more iron so I can take two horse pills daily instead of 4. I almost killed myself one night chokin on a pill! lol my SO was lookin at me like is it worth all that!

aishasoleil said:

I just started taking hairfinity, which I've read really good things about And they're so easy to swallow.

Back