APL`13 Challenge

BEAUTYU2U said:
SincerelyBeautiful - I tried it several months ago. It was nothing to write home about. My hair felt about the same as before I used it. I used it on freshly washed hair. If you're looking for a cheapie conditioning treatment pack, I would grab the ORS instead.

It's crazy you said that because I just brought the ORS pak in the bottle since I had used it before and I added some honey and EVCO and it did wonders for me.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

TeeBee said:
Thanks so much! I guess I'm a type 4 curl. I didn't think I would get much 'hang' either when my hair was shorter. But give it time!! Have you ever tried stretching your hair?? Braid outs/twist outs??

I'm not good at stretching, any advice on techniques? What products do you use? I've tried braidouts on my daughter, but can't figure out how to keep her ends from frizzing up.

I'm not good at stretching, any advice on techniques? What products do you use? I've tried braidouts on my daughter, but can't figure out how to keep her ends from frizzing up.

I religiously wear my hair in a braid out. What I find helps is heavy moisture on my ends at night and roll it up. I rebraid daily without detangling just moisture and seal. I wash and rectangle every few days

LovLeeLaDee said:

Braidouts are my staple style!! Braids or twists in general will stretch out your hair. And the more you rebraid or retwist the more stretched out your hair becomes. Makes ponytails or my personal fave, buns that much easier to do. For my braidouts I use LUV NATURALS leave in and Kinky Curly curling custard for hold. I rebraid throughout the week using a moisturizer on my ends..usually using more leave-in conditioner..or my Shea moisture curl and style milk. The milk can get greasy if you use too much.

Growingmyhairlong said:
I religiously wear my hair in a braid out. What I find helps is heavy moisture on my ends at night and roll it up. I rebraid daily without detangling just moisture and seal. I wash and rectangle every few days

Braidouts are my favorite too!! What do you use on your BO's??

Braidouts are my favorite too!! What do you use on your BO's??

I use Cantu Shea butter leave in or olive oil moisturizer. If its after a fresh wash I will put the leave in and throughout the week I use the Olive oil moisturizer until it'd time to wash again. Braid outs are so pretty and a great low manipulation style. I wear it down or up in a bun too. Glad to know I am not the only one. I started this when I decided to take heat out my regimen.

Growingmyhairlong said:
I use Cantu Shea butter leave in or olive oil moisturizer. If its after a fresh wash I will put the leave in and throughout the week I use the Olive oil moisturizer until it'd time to wash again. Braid outs are so pretty and a great low manipulation style. I wear it down or up in a bun too. Glad to know I am not the only one. I started this when I decided to take heat out my regimen.

I'll have to try this. I usually wear buns, but want to wear my hair out a little more. I had some Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In before, but didn't repurchase when it ran out. Does it leave white residue even when you're light-handed? I don't remember.

quirkydimples said:
I'll have to try this. I usually wear buns, but want to wear my hair out a little more. I had some Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In before, but didn't repurchase when it ran out. Does it leave white residue even when you're light-handed? I don't remember.

I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave in as well to moisturize but only when I feel my hair needs more protein since it has proteins in it. It hasn't ever left a white residue on my hair. I like this leave in a lot and it was the first thing I purchased on my HHJ. But now I alternate this with my second favorite leave in, HE Touchably Smooth Split End Protector (formerly known as Long Term Relationship)

quirkydimples said:

I use it and I've never had residue. It's great for twist or braid outs. My ends are never frizzy with this.

Growingmyhairlong said:

Lol @ rectangle! So you roll your braids??

TeeBee said:
Braidouts are my staple style!! Braids or twists in general will stretch out your hair. And the more you rebraid or retwist the more stretched out your hair becomes. Makes ponytails or my personal fave, buns that much easier to do. For my braidouts I use LUV NATURALS leave in and Kinky Curly curling custard for hold. I rebraid throughout the week using a moisturizer on my ends..usually using more leave-in conditioner..or my Shea moisture curl and style milk. The milk can get greasy if you use too much.

I was contemplating on buying the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie w/coconut & hibiscus, have you tried it? Is the custard creamy or like a gel?

I'm excited to try my first braidout!

Questions for ladies that rock the braidouts:
Do you finger comb your hair when you take the braids out?

Do you add a little moisture at that time?

How do you hide the multiple parts throughout the hair, so it doesn't look sectioned? ETA: (just found a lil thread about this one, but if you have tips, feel free to answer)
TIA

Last edited:
LovLeeLaDee said:
I was contemplating on buying the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie w/coconut & hibiscus, have you tried it? Is the custard creamy or like a gel?

I'm excited to try my first braidout!

I have!! It's thick and creamy, good stuff! But I like the milk better. Kinky Curly's custard is a gel. Kinda slimy and weird, but works wonders!!

I'm in! I restarted my haircare journey this summer after suffering setback after setback with my natural hair. It never got much farther than 3 inches past SL :nono:.

Current hair length
3-5 inches from APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning
Texturized

Goal Month
Sept 2013

Current Reggie and styling choices
aloe vera juice and olive oil pre-poo
Body Shop moisture shampoo/conditioner or Body Shop ginger shampoo/moisture DC once/week
Aussie moist conditioner daily

Cantu shea butter and ORS olive oil w/ coconut oil mix daily
Air dry and style with Fantasia IC or Miss Jessie's purple curly pudding
Wear out and curly or in loose puff
Baggy ends most nights
Vinegar clarify once/month
Prenatal vitamins

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Sticking with current reg. No new products or anything since it's been working v. well for the last 3 months.

Post a beginning picture

Last edited:
TeeBee said:
I have!! It's thick and creamy, good stuff! But I like the milk better. Kinky Curly's custard is a gel. Kinda slimy and weird, but works wonders!!

Thanks TeeBee for all your advice! I really appreciate it. I am going to give it a try tomorrow with some products I have before i go spending more moolah.

Lol @ rectangle! So you roll your braids??

Lol my cell phone keeps auto correcting my words. Yes I roll the ends or sometimes the whole thing with flexi rodes or little small rollers that don't pull at your ends. Like pillow rollers. When I am lazy I Bantu knot my braids to make it curly and from keeping the ends from drying out but I prefer rolling them.

How do you hide the multiple parts throughout the hair, so it doesn't look sectioned? ETA: (just found a lil thread about this one, but if you have tips, feel free to answer)
TIA

When I braid my hair I don't section with a comb just fingers. I usually do four to six braids depending on how deep I want the wave. Then I add moisturizer to each section but more to the ends. Then I add oil on top then braid. In the morning I take out the braids and add oil if needed. I then go to my roots and shake to fluff and remove parts. A few good shakes at the roots seem to separate the strands for me as well as my parts. Then I finger style as needed I never finger comb. At night I know some people pineapple but I rebraid and add more moisture without detangling. I find it I don't rectangle I loose less strands and the braid definition is better on day two. By day three or four I wash and detangle in the shower.

LovLeeLaDee said:

TIA

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/fI_rm0AJj28

Sent from my iPhone5

This is EXACTLY how I do my BO's.

Try not to make 'defined' parts. Use your fingers to make your sections for braiding. Then fluff and separate to hide any obvious parts when taking the braids down.
Only add moisture/remoisturize when needed. For me, it's usually a few days later when my hair gets a bit frizzy and dry.

image-2189515129.jpg

Current hair length -TWA - just above neck length when stretched
Natural
Goal Month - November 2013
Current Reggie and styling choices - still working on that one
Pic later

Current length : a little past CBL
Natural
Goal date: dec 2013
Regimen will be:
Sulfur oil mix applied to scalp 3x per week then greenhouse over night
JBCO shampoo and conditioner ( hopefully every 12 days)
Protective sew

Starting pics

Attachments

• image-2794197327.jpg
    image-2794197327.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1779059016.jpg
    image-1779059016.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 47
  • image-351996004.jpg
    image-351996004.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 50
I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave in as well to moisturize but only when I feel my hair needs more protein since it has proteins in it. It hasn't ever left a white residue on my hair. I like this leave in a lot and it was the first thing I purchased on my HHJ. But now I alternate this with my second favorite leave in, HE Touchably Smooth Split End Protector (formerly known as Long Term Relationship)

The only time it left a white residue on my hair was when I get was natural. I am not sure why. As a relax head now my hair loves Cantu.

TeeBee said:
Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/fI_rm0AJj28

Sent from my iPhone5

This is EXACTLY how I do my BO's.

Try not to make 'defined' parts. Use your fingers to make your sections for braiding. Then fluff and separate to hide any obvious parts when taking the braids down.
Only add moisture/remoisturize when needed. For me, it's usually a few days later when my hair gets a bit frizzy and dry.

TeeBee i think i just fainted your braidout is so beautiful

OMG Ladies I need your support; I have been on my long term transititon for a month (as far as sticking to a regimen) but its been about 3 monbths since my last touch up.... I am doing everything to make sure my ng and ends are moisturized, but I feel like I am experiencing massive shedding and breakage... I am doing protective styling (bantu knots, twistouts, buns...) m&sing every night.... I know it takes patientce but I dont know if I am doing something wrong or if I may need to add something else to my regimen.... I keep my hands out of my hair only finger combing and not actually combing/detangling my hair until shampoo time (every Saturday)..... I haven't combed may hair since Saturday but tonight my hair was feeling like it just needed to be combed, especially since I was going to bun tonight (been wearing a roller set for that past 4 days).... after detangling with the wide tooth comb and using the denman brush, in the end this is what came out of my head :sad:.

Please give me some pointers (or let me know if Im trippin)... I want to make sure I start this challenege on a good foot so I can retain length and see some growth throughout this challenge... I dont want to give up on my transition or this challenge!!!!!

I also have this much shedding/breakage after my shampoo even though I detangle in the shower so I have another question... How long do you let your hair dry before applying leave-in and styling???

TIA

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 37
OMG Ladies I need your support; I have been on my long term transititon for a month (as far as sticking to a regimen) but its been about 3 monbths since my last touch up.... I am doing everything to make sure my ng and ends are moisturized, but I feel like I am experiencing massive shedding and breakage... I am doing protective styling (bantu knots, twistouts, buns...) m&sing every night.... I know it takes patientce but I dont know if I am doing something wrong or if I may need to add something else to my regimen.... I keep my hands out of my hair only finger combing and not actually combing/detangling my hair until shampoo time (every Saturday)..... I haven't combed may hair since Saturday but tonight my hair was feeling like it just needed to be combed, especially since I was going to bun tonight (been wearing a roller set for that past 4 days).... after detangling with the wide tooth comb and using the denman brush, in the end this is what came out of my head :sad:.

Please give me some pointers (or let me know if Im trippin)... I want to make sure I start this challenege on a good foot so I can retain length and see some growth throughout this challenge... I dont want to give up on my transition or this challenge!!!!!

I also have this much shedding/breakage after my shampoo even though I detangle in the shower so I have another question... How long do you let your hair dry before applying leave-in and styling???

TIA

That looks like what I shed after about 2-3 days. I dont think it's bad. Do you need to use both a comb and a denman though? Maybe use one or the other. When I was 3 months post I just used a super moisturizing conditioner and finger combed in the shower to detangle.

You know what... I just started using the denman just because I heard how well it detangles but I think I might nix the denman for now... Thank you though knowing that its not that bad is reassuring that I am on the right track and not moving backwards.... So when you were 3 months post did you didnt use a comb at all?? Its hard to just finger comb especially when in a curly protective style I feel like if I want to go to a bun I need the comb or a brush to put it back.... I guess I just need to gt used to my hair not being soo slicked back like when I am permed.... :perplexed

Deziyah said:

TIA

Let me be honest, my knowledge is limited, but I have learned a few things since I joined and hopefully more ladies will offer advice. The only thing that sticks out to me is I don't see you mention protein. Have you incorporated any protein into your regimen?

Thank you TeeBee & Growingmyhairlong! I think I'm gonna try again tonight with your advice, and that video was just what I needed. I will be using Shea butter n aloe on my ends and rolling them to see how it turns out. I may need to get some of that Shea Moisture tho...

Also TeeBee did you get your color from henna? I love it!

Last edited:
Back