Aphogee broke my hair

lynette

Hi ladies, I did a protein treatment last night. I sat under the dryer until it became hard. I rinsed and then applied the mositurizer. After I rinsed that out I proceed to my nornal styling which is rollersetting my hair. My hair was so tangled and hard to comb through. I lost so much hair. My hair was past brastrap, my hair is also fine in strands and curly texture. Maybe this protein tratment isn't for everyone. Or maybe I put to much in my hair and didn't rinse it well. Now I have to nurse my hair back. Now it's back at brastrap. Please give me some advice.

Yes that stuff is not for everyone. I have done several treatments and it took my hair several weeks to get back to normal. I just spent the week moisturizing, deep conditioning and wearing my hair up. You moisture level will return, don't worry. Just take it as a lesson that you are not an Aphogee gal. It took me several bad incidents before the loight bulb came on.

I find that milder protein conditoners more often are better for my hair.

You are not alone. This happened to me. I used to use Aphogee Intense for Damaged Hair one week after my relaxers. I stopped doing so for many months because of the breakage I experienced from it.

Recently, I decided to try it again because my hair needed protein. I made some changes:

* I used very little of it, even though the bottle says to apply generous amt, I did not.
* I lightly coated my hair with it, as opposed to drenching it.
* I followed it with an intense deep-conditioning: Silicon Mix with KeraCare Humecto, under dryer for 30-45 mins.

And for the very first time, I received no breakage afterwards.

I hope this helps. I beleive using too much of it, and not following it with enough of a moisture treatment is the cause for the breakage. Also, I do not think it is something that is needed often for certain hair types. Once every 3 months or so, is fine...maybe even every 6 months...as long as you stay consistent with mild protein treatments.

Hi ladies, I did a protein treatment last night. I sat under the dryer until it became hard. I rinsed and then applied the mositurizer. After I rinsed that out I proceed to my nornal styling which is rollersetting my hair. My hair was so tangled and hard to comb through. I lost so much hair. My hair was past brastrap, my hair is also fine in strands and curly texture. Maybe this protein tratment isn't for everyone. Or maybe I put to much in my hair and didn't rinse it well. Now I have to nurse my hair back. Now it's back at brastrap. Please give me some advice.

I had the same experience with Aphogee. And I followed the directions to a t. I got no love when I shared my experience. But that stuff isn't for everyone. I simply DETEST Aphogee!!!! I would just manipulate my hair as little as possible this week. Keep it moisturized and do a deep conditioning the next time you wash it. Good luck.

I had the same experience with Aphogee. And I followed the directions to a t. I got no love when I shared my experience. But that stuff isn't for everyone. I simply DETEST Aphogee!!!! I would just manipulate my hair as little as possible this week. Keep it moisturized and do a deep conditioning the next time you wash it. Good luck.

We need to start our own club then! :) That stuff is horrible. I will never use it again. There are just better options that don't ruin your moisture balance at the same time. I mean, too much of anything is just not good. With my hair I find that balance is better - for protein and moisture.

Sorry to hear that happened to you:sad: But these ladies who have been there and done that seem to have given you wonderful advice.

they have different strengths ... i use the keratin reconstructor and its not that bad at all.... some are just stronger than others

Sounds like protein overload. I learned the hard way that Aphogee is really strong stuff and probably not needed unless your hair is in serious need of repair. Mine was relatively healthy at the time I used it - and I had to DC with moisturizing conditioners to death to correct the protein-moisture imbalance. I'm not using it anymore in favor of "lighter" protein treatments.

DC with a moisturizing conditioner for one hour with heat. Make sure the conditioner you choose has a little protein as possible. If it hasn't improved , try it again the next day but instead of rinsing after the hour of heat leave the conditioner overnight. That usually fixes protein overload for me.

Good luck!

What kind of moisturizer did you use? If you used the Aphogee moisturizer recommended on the bottle (I used the packet), I find it's not enough. I did'nt experience any breakage after (or perhaps did not notice it), but next time I'm using the 2 mn protein treatment.

Wow.

I just tried my first Aphogee treatment. I used it after brewing Curlaway on my hair to strengthen it.

It rinsed out pretty soft, but my hair is coated with heavy amounts of VS So Sexy Nourishing and Pantene's Breakage Defense Hair Mask and being left to brew over night as well.

If I have no issues, I'll revisit this thread and explain how I applied it and how it worked.

I will not say my hair is "spectacularly" resilient or even weak. I'm not sure where it grades... but I'm sure it was probably due to you having followed the directions and those directions not working for you and or your hair.

I looked like a crispy egg myself after it dripped and dried all over me.

next time if you need protein, try using egg. its one of the most natural forms of protein, and if yo umix it with an oil (jojoba , castor) it works even better. when i use oil with it, i never have those bits of eggs left in my hair either . it sound like you may have 3 a or 3b hair? ive never had the guts to try aphogee :nono: but now you know whats working and whats not. other proteins that are good is coconut milk , miss keys 10 en 1, motions cpr. im sure the ladies can add more :)

Sorry this happened to you. Aveda Damage Remedy(Instnsv Restruct Trtmt) always seems to work for me. Also, doing a hot oil treatment with castor oil before DCing always makes my hair soooo soft. I usually mix the castor oil with a little coconut oil, or some other oil, to make it easier to apply.

I am super sorry that you had that experience :perplexed I haven't used Aphogee in many many years, and it was applied by a proffessional in a salon. I couldn't imagine doing that kind of treatment at home. Brick head syndrome is too scary for me to mess with on my own. I would just keep upping the moisture at this point, your hair probably needs more than normal. Again, I am very sorry about your small setback.

Whenever I use a strong Protein I always follow-up with moisturizing deep conditioner...So I deep condition twice...First with protein , Second with Moisture !!!!

DC with a moisturizing conditioner for one hour with heat. Make sure the conditioner you choose has a little protein as possible. If it hasn't improved , try it again the next day but instead of rinsing after the hour of heat leave the conditioner overnight. That usually fixes protein overload for me.

Good luck!

ITA. I had no problem with it since I DCed for about 2 hours with no heat. I used the ORS replenshing packet.

Sorry to hear Aphogee didn't work for you. Like others have said you need to deep condition with something extra moisturizing. After a treatment I don't manipulate my hair much. I deep condition overnight then rinse and style the next day.

Hope your hair returns to normal soon.:yep:

I've never had a problem with using Aphogee. If you are relaxed, I think it's best to use it either immediately after a relaxer or a week or two after a relaxer while your hair is still relatively straight. Plus it's beneficial to use after a relaxer because the relaxer strips your hair of protein. If you use it and have a lot of new growth it can make your hair extremely hard to detangle afterwards. I used to use Aphogee every 6-8 weeks immediately after a relaxer and never got breakage, but I slacked off from doing that for awhile and my hair suffered because of it. I agree with the others that you have to use a really moisturizing conditioner afterwards - and it's best to use the conditioner with heat for at least 30-45 minutes.

I've never had a problem with using Aphogee. If you are relaxed, I think it's best to use it either immediately after a relaxer or a week or two after a relaxer while your hair is still relatively straight. Plus it's beneficial to use after a relaxer because the relaxer strips your hair of protein. If you use it and have a lot of new growth it can make your hair extremely hard to detangle afterwards. I used to use Aphogee every 6-8 weeks immediately after a relaxer and never got breakage, but I slacked off from doing that for awhile and my hair suffered because of it. I agree with the others that you have to use a really moisturizing conditioner afterwards - and it's best to use the conditioner with heat for at least 30-45 minutes.
This is exactly what I was going to say. I once used Aphogee, then Nexxus Emergencee on the same day w/out any problems but maybe because my hair loves Emergencee why I didn't experience any protein overload. Your best bet is to use a damn good conditioner to get you hair back on track.

SweetlyBlessed .......You gonna make me go see an eye doctor ...cause I cannot read that font size.....:lachen::lachen:I'm blind as a bat !!!

One of my hair inspirations spoke to me! :: proceeds to faint gracefully as I grab a prayer cloth to cover self on the way to the floor ::

Sorry Traycee, I'll enlarge just for you puddin!!! :grin:

You have to use an extra super duper moisturizing condish afterwards. I used to use the aphogee balancing moisturizer (but stopped after I saw that it has mineral oil), so now I just use my ORS Replenishing Condish. Vicky Secrets So Sexy (although I love it) is not moisturizing enough and either is the R&N mask (at least not in my opinion for use after Aphogee... but I do like the stuff alot). You gotta get that really really heavy duty strong moisturizing stuff. ORS is really good for that.

I do aphogee treatments, especially when I am trying to stretch my relaxers. But I rinse my hair for 15 minutes to make sure it's all out. Then, I deep condition under the dryer for about an hour and 45 mins. You REALLY have to make sure you moisturize your hair after one of those treatments.

To deal with an immediate problem, re-wash your hair (I had to do this once) with a clarifying shampoo and start over.

I switched to ION from Sallys and never looked back.

The balancing moisturizer does nothing. You probably would have worked better with some Humectress or that Pantene Breakage Defense masque after using the Aphogee because although it does make your hair strong, you'll pay for it if you don't moisturize enough.

The ION reconstructor treatment is less runny, feels more like a creamy shampoo, smells better, and you don't have to blowdry your hair brittle for it to work. When you rinse it out, your hair feels smooth and slippery and moist, and you don't lose any hair in styling. I lost only shed hairs and maybe a couple of broken hairs (maybe like 5 I saw) through blowdrying and flatironing, no joke. Even when I was combing my hair rough... no breakage.

ETA: Also, the ORS pack is a good idea too, as well as Neutragena Triple Moisture Masque

Last edited:
Whenever I use a strong Protein I always follow-up with moisturizing deep conditioner...So I deep condition twice...First with protein , Second with Moisture !!!!

This is what I do and The Hardcore Aphogee hasn't:nono: failed me yet

I learned the hard way with protein too. I find that if I DC under the dryer right after a protein treatment, my hair does really well. Was it the 2 step aphogee that you used?

Thanks for everyones concern;) I use Kenra without heat for the mositurizing conditioner. (probably not a good choice) Anyway I will not be using that stuff again. My hair wasn't really breaking, I was told to use it before getting my next relaxer. My hair does fine when I use affirm 5n1 or Sustance by Avlon. I am going to cut three inches off this weekend after I relax so my end can look healthy again. Luckly my hair grows at a steady pace. I will keep you ladies updated.

What kind of moisturizer did you use? If you used the Aphogee moisturizer recommended on the bottle (I used the packet), I find it's not enough. I did'nt experience any breakage after (or perhaps did not notice it), but next time I'm using the 2 mn protein treatment.

Same here. The Aphogee moisturizer is not moisturizing enough to bring the hair back to balance.

What I do now is put a capful or two in with some other protein conditioners instead of a full-on Aphogee two-step.

I use henna and ayur powders, so my hair is pretty strong already. I did this type of protein treatment on Saturday. I didn't have anything better to do, and it has been about 7 weeks since my last relaxer, so I'm like "how about some protein. I used 2 capfuls on Saturday along with a keratin conditioner and two types of reconstructor. I've used 1 capful in the past and that is plenty. Definitely follow with moisture no matter what.

After the fact, I've come to the conclusion that my hair doesn't really need the strong 2-step treatment because I'm not abusing my hair. I use SAA religiously and like I said, the Indian powders.

So try the one capful mixed into another conditioner to avoid the protein overload. HTH

Back