AO Honeysuckle Rose: Did I speak too soon?

chayil0427

Ladies

My hair was a mess after last weeks wash. I washed with KC Hydt. Detangling Poo and followed with AO Honeysuckly Rose which I've been using for about a month now.

Well, a few weeks ago I started noticing that my scalp was very dry and itchy with large white chunks on it. :nono: Then after last weeks wash it was a tangled, brittle, dry whooly mess. I couldn't detangle it and drying was a nightmare. My newgrowth was very brittle and made a popping sound when I tried to get the comb through it. :nono:

So this week I prepooed with castor oil over night and washed with my good old trusty Nexxus PO. My hair is soft and supple and I noticed no breakage when I blow dried. (Also the round brush just glided through my hair with minimal product.)

I'm thinking maybe I spoke too soon regarding the AO HSR. I dunno...it was awesome at first but the more I used it the worse my hair got.

I think I should just be a good girl and stick with Nexxus instead of jumping off on these other product lines...only to come crawling back to Nexxus beaten and battered.:sad: :wallbash::wallbash:

Anyone else had a similiar experience with AO or other products?

Chayil

I haven't had any experience like that with AO products. Are you sue it was the conditioner? I don't know why it would do this:perplexed

The first time I tried AO Honeysuckel Rose I deep conditioned with it and my hair came out super soft and slippy. The 2nd time I used it, I mixed with EVOO and had crazy slip and softness prior to going under the drier with it. But I deep conditioned for 20 minutes with it and the slip and softness just weren't there anymore.:ohwell:

I think the moral of the story with me is,
"Don't deep condition with AO HR Condish.":nono:

I dunno ... I haven't had dandruff in like 2 years. I don't think it's the KC Hydt Detangling poo because I've used it extensively before with no problems.

I really think its the conditioner...I'm going to keep using Nexxus for a few weeks and see if the problem corrects itself. All I can say now is that my hair looks and feels a lot better using Nexxus.

I'm surprised because if you'll remember I was totally crunk for AO when I first used it. (see thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=151435 )

I'm really surprised I'm having this problem. :sad:

Chayil

The first time I tried AO Honeysuckel Rose I deep conditioned with it and my hair came out super soft and slippy. The 2nd time I used it, I mixed with EVOO and had crazy slip and softness prior to going under the drier with it. But I deep conditioned for 20 minutes with it and the slip and softness just weren't there anymore.:ohwell:

I only use AO products on dry hair as a pre poo before I shampoo when I want to use it to deep condition. (You should try it this way)....it makes all the difference. I was using it other ways too until I read the directions. So I now only use it as directed...and it comes out super! (Hope that helps!) oh....btw.... your hair is beautiful!

I only use AO products on dry hair as a pre poo before I shampoo when I want to use it to deep condition. (You should try it this way)....it makes all the difference. I was using it other ways too until I read the directions. So I now only use it as directed...and it comes out super! (Hope that helps!) oh....btw.... your hair is beautiful!

Yea you know I noticed that the other day...that the bottle says use it on dry hair.

I may try it as a prepoo on dry hair. :rolleyes:

I haven't tried any AO products yet (scared to now) but this happened to me with the Giovanni line. I was crunk as what when I first got it, but then after using it maybe 3-4 times, my hair came out a HAM!!! It wasn't moisturizing anymore, and made my hair hard and brittle. No more slippy slip when rinsing out the dc. I put that junk on the shelf with the rest of my stash, and went back to my beloved Motions line.

I wish I knew why products that were Bomb when we first used them turn to trash. :nono:

I use honeysuckle conditioner. I wash my hair about 3 or 4 times a week. I condition with it almost every time I wash it. I leave it on my hair about 20 to 30 minutes. But I almost never use it alone. I mix it with other aubrey organics conditioners. I love it.

Wow, I've always had great success w/Honeysuckle Rose and I use it after poo'ing only. I leave it on for at least 10 min. usually longer and my hair is always silky and moisturized. I've been on a Silicon Mix kick lately so I haven't used it as much.

Maybe HR just isn't the right product for your hair.:ohwell:

Last edited:
Hmmm...I might have to try that.....:scratchch

Thanks for the compliment too Bauderlady!:blush3:

Ladies

My hair was a mess after last weeks wash. I washed with KC Hydt. Detangling Poo and followed with AO Honeysuckly Rose which I've been using for about a month now.

Well, a few weeks ago I started noticing that my scalp was very dry and itchy with large white chunks on it. :nono: Then after last weeks wash it was a tangled, brittle, dry whooly mess. I couldn't detangle it and drying was a nightmare. My newgrowth was very brittle and made a popping sound when I tried to get the comb through it. :nono:

So this week I prepooed with castor oil over night and washed with my good old trusty Nexxus PO. My hair is soft and supple and I noticed no breakage when I blow dried. (Also the round brush just glided through my hair with minimal product.)

I'm thinking maybe I spoke too soon regarding the AO HSR. I dunno...it was awesome at first but the more I used it the worse my hair got.

I think I should just be a good girl and stick with Nexxus instead of jumping off on these other product lines...only to come crawling back to Nexxus beaten and battered.:sad: :wallbash::wallbash:

Anyone else had a similiar experience with AO or other products?

Chayil

Ummm....I asked this question in another thread and noboby responded. I assumed I was the only one with this issue. I noticed the same thing with their products. I was using them pretty often and my hair just seemed like it was slowing drying out over time. I now use it as a pre-poo, but I've still noticed that my hair is not as moisturized as it use to be. It seems to be moisturized at first, and then dries out after a few days. I think I'm going to stop using the whole product line and stick to the things that I know retain moisture in my hair.

Ummm....I asked this question in another thread and noboby responded. I assumed I was the only one with this issue. I noticed the same thing with their products. I was using them pretty often and my hair just seemed like it was slowing drying out over time. I now use it as a pre-poo, but I've still noticed that my hair is not as moisturized as it use to be. It seems to be moisturized at first, and then dries out after a few days. I think I'm going to stop using the whole product line and stick to the things that I know retain moisture in my hair.

Exactly...then with each wash my hair just got dryer and less manageable. I may prepoo with it mixed with castor oil or I may just send it under the counter to the "product graveyard."

Chayil

This thread is such a relief to read. I purchased Aubrey's protein conditioner and the Island conditioner. Did a deep condition last Sat w/ the protein one and EVOO, my hair came out soft but it could've been softer. I did a condition wash on Monday and this morning w/ the Island conditioner, I was dissapointed in the outcome. My hair is a frizzy mess! Yes was awful but I thought I'd give it another chance.

I think I'll stick w/ Biolage Fortefying conditioner. I love Nexxus but it sucks that their Humectress has mineral oil in it.

i had a similar experience with the honeysuckle rose shampoo. dry, dry, dry. It is now a shaving lotion.I haven't tried the conditioner, because there are cheaper products that are more effective. Those products cost too much for a little bit which won't work for the amount of hair I have. I have to use a lot of product.

Do you think clarifying would help?

I was think these health food shampoos are very drying but the conditoners are really good.

Whoa! I just recieved an order I purchased off of ebay in the mail yesterday. It was the Honeysuckle Rose by AO. I put 2 handfuls (I have a mass of thick coarse hair) on dry hair before hopping in the shower. oh Boy! It was AMAZING! My hair instantly detangled under the running water and it was sooo soft afterwards. Mind you, I haven't detangled in a week and a half. This is the only conditioner that has given my hair this type of amazing slip and I have been searching for something like this since I BC'd a year and a half ago. All I have to say is: :lick::lick::lick: I am going to purchase another bottle soon. Are you ladies sure you dont need a good clarifying session? And I'm also guessing that this condish is not good for women with fine or thin hair as its uber-thick and creamy. I pray that this condish will continue to be a success for me. Nothing else has quite measured up to this. I am in :love:

It's so funny. That stuff did nothing at all for my hair. I just gave mine away to someone here on the Board. :whyme:

For me its a great pre-poo I usually put it in overnight before i co-poo my hair.
I forgot to mention that i put in rosa mosqueta oil. It seems to help with the moisture and its good for hair.
Im sorry that this product doesn't work well for all

I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckly Rose conditioner and it gives me good slip! The times when this isn't happening, I clarify, then deep condition (with mayo, honey, coconut oil, olive oil) , then cover with plactic wrap and wrap with steamy towel wrapped around head for about 40-60 minutes.

It's so funny. That stuff did nothing at all for my hair. I just gave mine away to someone here on the Board. :whyme:

Same here. My hair laughed at it. Needless to say, I sent it back and got my refund.:ohwell:

Chayil, girl just stick with what you know works--which in your case is Nexxus. I know its hard cuz you hear raves about different products and all cuz the same happened to me, but after a while it just got too expensive.

I don't think AO likes heat...I mix some of my condish with oil and nuke them on low for a few seconds just to emulsify them and the AO turns to straight liquid when I do that. So perhaps it would be better used as a rinse rather than a deep conditoner.

This thread is such a relief to read. I purchased Aubrey's protein conditioner and the Island conditioner. Did a deep condition last Sat w/ the protein one and EVOO, my hair came out soft but it could've been softer. I did a condition wash on Monday and this morning w/ the Island conditioner, I was dissapointed in the outcome. My hair is a frizzy mess! Yes was awful but I thought I'd give it another chance.

I think I'll stick w/ Biolage Fortefying conditioner. I love Nexxus but it sucks that their Humectress has mineral oil in it.
I am in love with Biolage Fortifying line!! My hair loves it!

I've never had problems with AO conditioners unless you count how hard it is to get HSR out of the bottle.

I was about to make a purchase of both the Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and conditioner until I read this. Any updates or opinions of this product?

I hope not! I'm starting to use them and plan on reviewing them in the future. Eep. I hope your scalp recovers, OP!

I was about to make a purchase of both the Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and conditioner until I read this. Any updates or opinions of this product?

You should get more opinions but i had to let this conditioner go because it caused major build up on my scalp. I think it was just too heavy for me. It might have been the same in op's case with her scalp. It moisturized nicely, just way too heavy for me. Hth

CurlyMoo: I would just purchase the Conditioner and Skip the 'Poo. The only AO 'Poo I have is the Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo. Others have not really liked the performance of AO Shampoos.:look:

I would get 2 (maybe 3) Conditioners The HSR, WC & the GPB.:yep:

Whoa! I just recieved an order I purchased off of ebay in the mail yesterday. It was the Honeysuckle Rose by AO. I put 2 handfuls (I have a mass of thick coarse hair) on dry hair before hopping in the shower. oh Boy! It was AMAZING! My hair instantly detangled under the running water and it was sooo soft afterwards. Mind you, I haven't detangled in a week and a half. This is the only conditioner that has given my hair this type of amazing slip and I have been searching for something like this since I BC'd a year and a half ago. All I have to say is: :lick::lick::lick: I am going to purchase another bottle soon. Are you ladies sure you dont need a good clarifying session? And I'm also guessing that this condish is not good for women with fine or thin hair as its uber-thick and creamy. I pray that this condish will continue to be a success for me. Nothing else has quite measured up to this. I am in :love:

I feel the same as you. I have some coming in the mail from Amazon

You should get more opinions but i had to let this conditioner go because it caused major build up on my scalp. I think it was just too heavy for me. It might have been the same in op's case with her scalp. It moisturized nicely, just way too heavy for me. Hth

Hmmm, sounds like you needed to clarify. Maybe if you add some baking soda it will cut it a little and cleanse your scalp.

Back