Anyone using Bone Combs?

Priestess said:
This is so funny, I seem to remember a pack of these at Wal-Mart in the black hair care section. I wonder if they were the real deal... :scratchch

I gotta get my hands on one! :grin:

I was wondering the same thing! I saw some at a local BSS store too, but don't know if they're forreal. Hopefully someone knows:look:

kbragg said:
I was wondering the same thing! I saw some at a local BSS store too, but don't know if they're forreal. Hopefully someone knows:look:

I've read somewhere that there are imitations of bone combs sold in stores. They look like the real thing, but are inexpensive in price (especially when they come in a pack). Hopefully someone who has tried them and can tell us. The ones I purchased are handcarved and the feel and weight of them are quite different than any other comb I have used.

january noir said:
UPDATE!

Received my 3 bone combs from Hairscense (eBay) today. All I can say is WOW! :shocked:

I tried combing through my new growth and the teeth of the comb glided through it without a hitch.

How come none y'all never told me about these before? :shocked: :thumbsup:

:sekret: can you post a link to the seller?

ETA: Nevermind I see the link!

The combs in the local BSS and Walmart are imitation combs. The real bone combs are seamless because they are carved out of one piece. You can see the seams on the cheap combs if you look between the teeth.

You ladies are WAY too convincing, why am I currently in the middle of placing my order with Hairsense??:look:

I was just wondering what comb you ladies think I should get to replace the rat tail comb I use for my roller sets.

choice a) http://www.hairsense.com/images/201.jpg

choice b) http://www.hairsense.com/images/205.jpg

I'm trying to compare them to the comb I use currently but it's not really helping, my current comb's teeth are a lot thicker and it's just so hard to tell from the pictures, so any input would be appreciatetd.

TIA and I am already SO EXCITED. I can't wait to start using these!:grin:

SohoHair said:
You ladies are WAY too convincing, why am I currently in the middle of placing my order with Hairsense??:look:

I was just wondering what comb you ladies think I should get to replace the rat tail comb I use for my roller sets.

I'm trying to compare them to the comb I use currently but it's not really helping, my current comb's teeth are a lot thicker and it's just so hard to tell from the pictures, so any input would be appreciatetd.

I think that choice b is the way to go because the teeth of the comb itself are wider apart.

SohoHair said:

I like Comb B:)

Choice B it is!! I just finished my order and cannot wait to get them, hopefully they'll get here by my next wash (Tuesday) since that's the only time I ever comb my hair:lachen: . I can't believe I spent that much on combs I'm going to use once a week or so, but me and my hair are in love, I'll do anything for it!:dinner:

january noir said:
I've read somewhere that there are imitations of bone combs sold in stores. They look like the real thing, but are inexpensive in price (especially when they come in a pack). Hopefully someone who has tried them and can tell us. The ones I purchased are handcarved and the feel and weight of them are quite different than any other comb I have used.

I was sitting here reading this post like "WHAT??", my "bone" combs don't feel or perform like this. And no wonder, I DID get them from Wal-Mart:look:. They feel just like any ole other comb and they are definitely NOT seamless. I'll have to order the real thing from hairsense.

january noir said:

Thanks for the info. Now I can justify indulging my inner pj and order some real bone combs. :grin:

I betcha the folks at Hairsense are saying "What the heck is going on?!" :look:
I am sure their business is/will be booming in the next several weeks/months!

I definitely am planning to give these combs as gifts along with a HUGE bottle of Nexus Humectress (the one's you get from Costco or BJs) or some other highly recommended hair product.

Which detangling comb do you guys use?

The Handle Rake
206.jpg

or

The Super Detangle Rake Comb
222.jpg

*jumps up and down with joy*:creatures My bone combs from hairsense arrived in the mail today and I am sooooo happy! I was so antsy to use them that I combed my hair even though it's not wash day!:eek: I justified it telling myself that I was getting rid of shed hair since I am getting ready to pre-poo overnight so I can wash tomorrow.:lol:

These combs are absolutely amazing, I've never seen anything like them. They are perfectly seamless, a gorgeous coppery red color, and they glide through my 13 weeks post texlaxer hair. My hair had also been in pncurls which I had spritzed a few hours ago with a water/conditioner/vatika/jojoba oil mix and then covered with a satin scarf:shocked: so there were a bazillion textures going on and the comb glided through with ease.

I've already thrown out all my other combs except for my Jilbere shower comb. Thanks so much for all the ladies who posted about these combs:kiss: , this is another wonderful step in my hair care journey.:yep:

SohoHair said:
*jumps up and down with joy*:creatures My bone combs from hairsense arrived in the mail today and I am sooooo happy! I was so antsy to use them that I combed my hair even though it's not wash day!:eek: I justified it telling myself that I was getting rid of shed hair since I am getting ready to pre-poo overnight so I can wash tomorrow.:lol:

These combs are absolutely amazing, I've never seen anything like them. They are perfectly seamless, a gorgeous coppery red color, and they glide through my 13 weeks post texlaxer hair. My hair had also been in pncurls which I had spritzed a few hours ago with a water/conditioner/vatika/jojoba oil mix and then covered with a satin scarf:shocked: so there were a bazillion textures going on and the comb glided through with ease.

I've already thrown out all my other combs except for my Jilbere shower comb. Thanks so much for all the ladies who posted about these combs:kiss: , this is another wonderful step in my hair care journey.:yep:

:grin: Aren't they just FABULOUS! Welcome to the "Bone Comb" Club!

january noir said:
I betcha the folks at Hairsense are saying "What the heck is going on?!" :look:
I am sure their business is/will be booming in the next several weeks/months!

I definitely am planning to give these combs as gifts along with a HUGE bottle of Nexus Humectress (the one's you get from Costco or BJs) or some other highly recommended hair product.

You can say that again..I called them today to find out if my order placed on 12/31 has been processed for shipping yet (after receiving no response to my emails) and the lady that answered the phone sounded like she had a lot on her mind!! :wallbash: She blamed computer problems and slow postal service but wasn't apologetic about her customer service and didn't sound very appreciative of my business.:mad:

I just ordered off of ebay from hairsense, I saved about $8 vs ordereing on the site. They claim it will be here by thursday.... I ordered 3 combs... hope they work because my old combs are jacking my hair up!

lil'paw said:
You can say that again..I called them today to find out if my order placed on 12/31 has been processed for shipping yet (after receiving no response to my emails) and the lady that answered the phone sounded like she had a lot on her mind!! :wallbash: She blamed computer problems and slow postal service but wasn't apologetic about her customer service and didn't sound very appreciative of my business.:mad:

OOohhh, that's not good. :( Did you order from their site by phone or from eBay? At the least, I hope you love your comb when you do receive it. Let us know lil'paw.

Priestess said:
My combs arrived today! They're absolutely lovely. I got the 2 pictured in my earlier post. Yay bone combs! :yay:

HORRAY! :bouncegre Bone combs for everyone!!! Yesterday was wash day so I finally got to put my combs to their proper use. I haven't lost this little hair during the whole washing/detangling/rollersetting process in a long long time. These combs are amazing!! I also haven't detangled this thoroughly since my last touchup (October) so I am totally floored.

When my mom first saw them she was all like :perplexed , "That's just a regular plastic comb, you got swindled". But after watching me like a hawk during my washing process, why did I find them in her bathroom this morning?!!:lol: :lachen:

SohoHair said:
HORRAY! :bouncegre Bone combs for everyone!!! Yesterday was wash day so I finally got to put my combs to their proper use. I haven't lost this little hair during the whole washing/detangling/rollersetting process in a long long time. These combs are amazing!! I also haven't detangled this thoroughly since my last touchup (October) so I am totally floored.

When my mom first saw them she was all like :perplexed , "That's just a regular plastic comb, you got swindled". But after watching me like a hawk during my washing process, why did I find them in her bathroom this morning?!!:lol: :lachen:

That's too funny! Even Mama is a believer! :lol:

Where can u get one from? I am on tenderheaded.com and I don't see any bone combs

nappywomyn said:
Basically combs made out of bone/horn - they are carved out of all one piece, so they are very smooth - and apparently, I'm not the only lady who sees that they go through your hair like BUTTA baby!!

Back