Anyone successfully stretched with cornrows (no added hair)?

Butterfly08

Friday will be 10 weeks post relaxer from me. :ohwell: Originally I was going to go t'il the end of the Valentine's HYH challenge (15 weeks) before my next TU, but now I'm thinking of stretching all the way to April (almost 6 months, my longest stretch ever!!!!)
makeupmind.gif

My question is, eventually my NG is going to take over and my rollersets won't be enough :wallbash: (I do not use heat so blowing out my roots isn't an option). I want to get cornrows with my own hair braided into a bun, leave them in one week, wear a braid out for a few days and then pop them right back in. Since I won't be adding in any hair, do you think this will result in breakage? I have fine hair, but a LOT of it. :rolleyes: I was going to ask the braider to leave about an inch of unbraided hair that I will roll to avoid my ends getting chewed.

Please let me know your thoughts. :feedback: Thank you!

I did in the past for my first stretch (8months approx). I only did the cornrows for a month (braided every two weeks) and oiled my scalp with wild hair growth that stuff I didn't like the smell but I swear it helped my hair grow.

Cornrows are good for stretching and growth.

i have cornrows in now, and my hair is growing nicely.i keep the cornrows for a month, wash every two weeks give myself like a week break and get them put right back in.am doing this for 6months so far so good.:yawn:

I used to stretch with cornrows all the time. I kept them in for two weeks then had them done over. Just make sure whoever braids them does not do your sides and hairline extra tight.

Thats funny Jamila I was just thinking about doing the same thing, stretching in cornrows.. hope you get more responses :)

longhairlover, i'm glad u asked this question because i was thinking of doing cornrows under my wigs for my stretches this year.

i have cornrows in now, and my hair is growing nicely.i keep the cornrows for a month, wash every two weeks give myself like a week break and get them put right back in.am doing this for 6months so far so good.:yawn:

Thank you! Are you achieving length retention or any breakage with this method?

I did in the past for my first stretch (8months approx). I only did the cornrows for a month (braided every two weeks) and oiled my scalp with wild hair growth that stuff I didn't like the smell but I swear it helped my hair grow.

Cornrows are good for stretching and growth.

Long hair your hair definitely looks thick and healthy! What do you put on it to achieve that glassy shine? :yep:

I used to stretch with cornrows all the time. I kept them in for two weeks then had them done over. Just make sure whoever braids them does not do your sides and hairline extra tight.

Thanks 321. One of the girls at my church will do them for only $10 - $15. I am going to ask for large braids because I don't want to spend hours taking them out. I'll also let her know that I'm tenderheaded and I would rather loose braids. I only plan on keeping them in a week, my scalp begins to itch 3 - 4 days after my poo. :whyme:

I only plan on keeping them in a week, my scalp begins to itch 3 - 4 days after my poo. :whyme:

....well depending on how great of a braider she is, you can wash them and they'll still look presentable if you moisturize your hair immediately after and then tie it down for at least 1-2 hours after your wash. I wore a lot of cornrow styles with my transitioning hair back in '05 and believe me, I had tons of new growth, but I still washed my hair with them in, and it still looked fresh! ...Actually...I did the same when I was natural too.

One trick I learned was that my braider used Fantasia IC's hair spray (the one in the brown bottle) on each cornrow. When it came was time, the cornrow was still intact, and my new growth was still very moisturized.

....well depending on how great of a braider she is, you can wash them and they'll still look presentable if you moisturize your hair immediately after and then tie it down for at least 1-2 hours after your wash. I wore a lot of cornrow styles with my transitioning hair back in '05 and believe me, I had tons of new growth, but I still washed my hair with them in, and it still looked fresh! ...Actually...I did the same when I was natural too.

One trick I learned was that my braider used Fantasia IC's hair spray (the one in the brown bottle) on each cornrow. When it came was time, the cornrow was still intact, and my new growth was still very moisturized.

I hadn't thought of washing the cornrows. I was afraid it might make them frizz. I will try it after they have been in for a week, when I have nothing to lose if it doesn't work. :lachen:

longhairlover, i'm glad u asked this question because i was thinking of doing cornrows under my wigs for my stretches this year.

I am planning on doing this, too. This was actually how I planned on learning how to do cornrows this year. I have been privy to the best braider around(mom) for years, but I no longer want to depend on her. Braids aren't easy on the hands, and I know she's tired sometimes. I can do cornrows on others, but not my own head.

Cornrows are were it's at.
I am 4a/b and relaxed. I cornrow with beads on the ends of my hair. I stretched for about 4-5 months last year...2007.
It was the best , that's why I am attempting to do it all this year for the most part.
When I would take my hair out, it would hardly be any breakage...just some shedding. Mind u I would add my topical growth aids in the parts and I could slather my cornrows and ends down with hollywood beauty mayonaise cream oil...or some type of cream oil. I used Surge on my scalp and would tie a satin scarf on it to keep my ng down.
I definately retained alot of hair this way.

Right now I am cornrowed, but I have a weave on top that I do myself. I also do my own cornrows as well. Check out my fotki for my cornrow pics if u like.
I believe that the cornrows have helped me to get so close to APL in the pic below.
I'm not updating my pics until sometime in Dec 2008...BSL or bust.

Back