Anyone successfully removed Henna??

g.lo

Hi all, I am desperate to remove henna so I can dye my hair a different colour, any tips? Thanks

I haven't hennaed my hair in almost a year and its still in my "old" hair. It did come out a little when I relaxed my hair for the first time in December but a lot of the color is still there.

If you used BAQ henna I don't see why you can't color over it.

You have to lift the henna out - basically bleach your hair. It doesn't come out any other way. I henna'ed for about a year and just have to let it grow out if I want a lighter color without bleach.

You can dye over henna only if you used pure henna! My mom does it. Just test a patch for color. Don't dye your whole head until you are sure of the results.

If you did not use pure henna do not dye over it. What I mean by pure henna is not one if those henna compound mixes.

I wish you had known that henna is forever before you used it.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Last edited:
Wow, I did not know you could color over BAQ Henna. Clearly I did my research beforehand :laugh:

Hmm...might color my hair this summer. Hendigo has left my hair with a burgundy/purpleish color that is tolerable but not ideal.

Thanks guys, I used Body art quality henna. The problem is over time, henna made my hair darker, and since I don't henna anymore, my roots are light and it looks so wrong. Any attempts to color the henna part is not working, I am thinking now of dying my roots dark to match the henna on my hair.

g.lo said:
Thanks guys, I used Body art quality henna. The problem is over time, henna made my hair darker, and since I don't henna anymore, my roots are light and it looks so wrong. Any attempts to color the henna part is not working, I am thinking now of dying my roots dark to match the henna on my hair.

If you use your frozen leftover henna it will be darker than fresh henna.

Yes henna builds up and in time it will be darker red than the first time you henna. Once you get the color you want just henna your roots.

I think if you bleach you are going to only see the red henna. Think Lucy red.

g.lo said:

Try a different henna. Try one with a higher lawsone content. What type are you using now?

If you freeze your mixed henna it will be a dark chocolatey red.

Try a different henna. Try one with a higher lawsone content. What type are you using now? If you freeze your mixed henna it will be a dark chocolatey red. I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

I use the red raj from henasooq. To start with I have funny hair colour, my edges are gingerish and the rest of my hair is a dirty brownish.
I was fed up with the henna process to cover my grey and wanted something simple, but...

Sorry, henna actually bonds to the hair strands, so it's permanent and resistant to all chemical coloring. You'll have to grow it out and cut it off.

g.lo said:
I use the red raj from henasooq. To start with I have funny hair colour, my edges are gingerish and the rest of my hair is a dirty brownish.
I was fed up with the henna process to cover my grey and wanted something simple, but...

Jamila is much darker after dye release and freezing.

There are articles I read two years ago about dyeing over henna somewhere out there. I think going darker is easier. If you bleach it leaves the red behind. Someone on long hair forum not long hair care forum removed her henna over time. It took her a very long time iirc.

Jamila is much darker after dye release and freezing.

There are articles I read two years ago about dyeing over henna somewhere out there. I think going darker is easier. If you bleach it leaves the red behind. Someone on long hair forum not long hair care forum removed her henna over time. It took her a very long time iirc.

I will go darker, I am only using semi, and just let the henna grow out completely.

I will go darker, I am only using semi, and just let the henna grow out completely.

I colored my hair darker and it just sort of blended. You could really only see it on the ends and on my grays. So this should work out well for you. And if not, the semi washes out over time so you can try something else.

So remind me why people use Henna again?

The same reason some people relax - it works for them.

I've used henna my whole life. It's not a problem because I don't use any other type of color or chemical. It's a fantastic treatment, but like everything else, you have to weigh the pros and cons. If you are not looking for permanence, it's probably not the treatment for you.

The same reason some people relax - it works for them.

I've used henna my whole life. It's not a problem because I don't use any other type of color or chemical. It's a fantastic treatment, but like everything else, you have to weigh the pros and cons. If you are not looking for permanence, it's probably not the treatment for you.

I guess I phrased my question wrong.... Why do people use Henna i.e what are the benefits of henna other than permanent/forever color? Just high level... does it condition, help detangle, help retention etc?

I guess I phrased my question wrong.... Why do people use Henna i.e what are the benefits of henna other than permanent/forever color? Just high level... does it condition, help detangle, help retention etc?

JudithO, here you go:

strengthens
loosens curl pattern
thicker hair
protects your hair from the elements
reduces split ends
gets rid of dandruff
kills lice

I used Henna, because It did strengthen my hair and also to cover greys. But I am honestly fed up with the process.

Hmmm... Henna sounds interesting, but my hair is already a dark almost jet black color naturally. So I don't think Henna would do much for me in terms of color. Or will it make it lighter?

PinkSunshine77 said:
and it destroys your curl pattern? Oh hellll no.

It doesn't destroy your curl oattern it has loosened some people's but the just add amla to their mix.

It doesn't destroy your curl oattern it has loosened some people's but the just add amla to their mix.

I'll never use it regardless. I wonder why it's always so encouraged for use on here, but I never saw a lot of the things about it until this thread. I really didn't know it was permanent.

I haven't hennaed my hair in almost a year and its still in my "old" hair. It did come out a little when I relaxed my hair for the first time in December but a lot of the color is still there. If you used BAQ henna I don't see why you can't color over it.

I haven't used henna in FIVE YEARS and it's still in my hair. Makes me so mad just thinking about it.

PinkSunshine77 said:
I'll never use it regardless. I wonder why it's always so encouraged for use on here, but I never saw a lot of the things about it until this thread. I really didn't know it was permanent.

I used to henna weekly for a year and my 4ab hair didn't loosen.

Henna eliminated my ssks. It thickened my strands and added shine. It has strengthened my hair. It makes my hair smooth. I have pretty highlights in the sun.

I can't use regular dyes so this works out great for me.

Back