ANYONE STUCK AT APL????

TLC1020

I'm just curious to know if anyone is or has ever been stuck at APL and if so what did you do to pass this length??

Hey girl!

I sure do feel this way, mainly because of these dang-blasted layers. I am hiding my hair, or rather, hiding from my hair until April. Until then, am doing my 3 prepoo oilings and washes per week, DCs after each wash, baggying my ends, daily moisturizing, scalp massages, protective styles, no trims, drinking plenty of water and eating well.

everytime i get there, i go to the hairstylist and she takes an inch off!!:look: so every time after the trim, i'm just barely making it!! i have long layers on top thats growing out too. they are shoulder length now.
i think i'm going to go "trimless" until the fall.:yep:

I have layers too, and I think that layers make getting pass and to your next goal twice as hard. Because of my layers it took me forever to get even close to APL, I feel confident that once my layers grow out meeting goals will be a lot easier.

I'm just curious to know if anyone is or has ever been stuck at APL and if so what did you do to pass this length??

I don't believe you are "stuck". I just feel you are more conscious of your hair and like the watched pot never boiling. Continue your routine which helped you arrive at armpit..it'll grow..protect your ends and nape.

BrooklynSouth said:
I don't believe you are "stuck". I just feel you are more conscious of your hair and like the watched pot never boiling. Continue your routine which helped you arrive at armpit..it'll grow..protect your ends and nape.

Is that what it is? I will try to remember that . . .

I feel like I have been stuck at APL for about a year! I do everything I am supposed to, I don't have a lot of breakage or shedding, my hair looks healthy, I'm just at a stand-still :ohwell:

Is that what it is? I will try to remember that . . .

I feel like I have been stuck at APL for about a year! I do everything I am supposed to, I don't have a lot of breakage or shedding, my hair looks healthy, I'm just at a stand-still :ohwell:

This is how i sort of feel. Are you do protective styles also? Don't feel bad, i remember when i made APL last april.

I think I'm going to be "stuck" here for a while. My ends are thin and I had layers in my hair over a year ago so those still need to grow out. I'm not sweatin' it as long as it doesn't fall out or break.

Only problem I have is there's only one mini season where I feel good about having my hair out. If it's winter then I worry about it catching on my coat. If it's summer then if I have my hair straight I worry about sweating. Bring on those 4-5 x 2 rainless, perfect spring/fall days before I put my hair back up again.

wheezy807 said:
This is how i sort of feel. Are you do protective styles also? Don't feel bad, i remember when i made APL last april.

I don't do protective style per se, but I roller set, I DC, minimal direct heat, moisturize, etc. It's not doing anything bad, it's just not getting any longer. If I cut/trim, it will grow right back to APL and stop again.

APL checkin. Every since I joined LHCF I've been APL. I keep having set backs. I cut off some inches early December because of see through ends. I'm finally there again. This time I hope I can make it over the hump to at least BSL (sigh)

Thanks Ladies,
It feels like my hair has come to a stand still, maybe I am checking the length too much :ohwell: I'm going to stay out the mirror for now :ohwell:

I feel like I am stuck at APL. And my hair doesn't even look APL because I've been wearing stretched curls to avoid direct heat. It does look healthy but my hair is fine so I don't have alot of it and I have to be very gentle with it. I'm looking forward to having it straightened for a length check in March. Maybe I'll feel better by then. This dang winter! I can't do my wet bunning routine. I feel like I gained so much length in the summer and now I'm just stuck at APL.

@BlackRinse
How do you deal with neem oil?
That stuff is soo rank. I poured mine down the drain bc the smell would linger even if I used it as a prewash scalp treatment.

My entire house would smell like it.

What brand do you suggest?

@BlackRinse
How do you deal with neem oil?
That stuff is soo rank. I poured mine down the drain bc the smell would linger even if I used it as a prewash scalp treatment.

My entire house would smell like it.

What brand do you suggest?

Hi, I mixed about 1 1/2 tbsp of neem oil (Theraneem) with 2oz olive oil and the rest doo grow. In a 4 oz bottle. The particular olive oil I have is infused with parsley leaves though.

If you don't wear your hair straight/your hair is natural add half a tube of monistat to your mix. I don't find that i smell like anything. Maybe a nice forest? lol. The neem oil smells kind of like peanut butter? Perhaps you can tweak it with some sweet almond oil? Or coconut?

Last edited:
Ive been apl a few times myself but I kept cutting it off because of ssks and split ends during a year and a half of wash and goes. I wont do that again. I'm slightly past apl this time and finally looking forward to achieving bsl. I mostly protective style now and decided I will continue to do so until my hair gets closer to my ultimate bsl goal.

I take vitamins consistently now including bamboo by Swanson Superior Herb (300mg) and Beautifully Bamboo. Lots of water and exercise helps a bunch too.

I've been stuck at APL for majority of the year. I only trim when I get my perms twice a year and I protective style the rest of the time with wigs. I swear my trims end up looking more like actual hair cuts to me due to the amount the stylist cuts off.

Back