Anyone out there growing out layers?

Artemis

Mine are taking forever :look: I want to be full/even SL before I move on to the next goal--APL. So I'm trimming the bottom layers regularly and waiting...and waiting...and waiting. :yawn: It's kinda boring. Thank goodness for Fotki and cameras, but yeah, it's getting old...:look:

Is anyone else waiting for their hair to be even before they move on to the next check point? What are you doing to bide your time?

Geez...

I am so tired of these layers. The bottom of my hair looks thin because the layers are taking so long to add into the bottom. Also, it is hard to do an updo because I've got shorter layers always falling to the front or whatever...

I took my siggy picture a week or two ago and I was looking at it like :wallbash: because you can clearly see the shorter layers in back.

Geez...

I am so tired of these layers. The bottom of my hair looks thin because the layers are taking so long to add into the bottom. Also, it is hard to do an updo because I've got shorter layers always falling to the front or whatever...

I took my siggy picture a week or two ago and I was looking at it like :wallbash: because you can clearly see the shorter layers in back.

Ugh. Sucks. Majorly.

That's me, plus I'm waiting for my nape to grow out. And it's growing...out, not down. :rolleyes: Makes my profile shot look pick-headed. :nono: So it's like I have to grow the sides out to look okay.

I took a pic the other day. Looks better than my Oct update, but still...Yours looks way better than mine...

I'm trying to grow out these layers, too. That's why my sig says almost SL. the bottom of my hair is but I still have NL hair and ear length bangs.

One thing that drives me crazy... pulling my hair back for a bun and having the shorter layers that don't fit into the bun and stick out.

I'm trying to grow out these layers, too. That's why my sig says almost SL. the bottom of my hair is but I still have NL hair and ear length bangs.

One thing that drives me crazy... pulling my hair back for a bun and having the shorter layers that don't fit into the bun and stick out.

Do you do anything to fix it, or do you just leave it? Nowadays I'm pinning that part back with ouchless bobby pins...:ohwell:

Do you do anything to fix it, or do you just leave it? Nowadays I'm pinning that part back with ouchless bobby pins...:ohwell:

I just smooth it and tie it down with my silk scarf as long as I can. Not the best solution, though, because it doesn't last all day.

OMG!!! I thought I was the only one. U think u have it bad?? Look @ my profile pic && my flickr pics. My shortest layer is MAYBE SL and my longest layer a little longer than APL. It. Is. ANNOYING!!!!!!! I will definitely NEVER get layers again!! Right now, my friends at my school and I are doing a little challenge from now til we get back from Christmas Break. Where we are hiding our hair. I can send u the products and regimen if u'd like. So thats what I'm doing so far so that I don't just chop off all of my long layers :drunk:

@ LovinLea: Yeah, I look a hot mess at the end of the day. Hairs sprouting off in random directions. I understand...:yep:

I'm gonna do a search later on to see if I can find a protective style that doesn't make me look homeless :look: but can whip those shorter hair's into shape.

Right now I have my hair split down the middle, mini-buns on the left and right (in the back, if that makes sense) and bobby pins holding down the strays...

And the scarf is on, since I'm at home...

Last edited:
OMG!!! I thought I was the only one. U think u have it bad?? Look @ my profile pic && my flickr pics. My shortest layer is MAYBE SL and my longest layer a little longer than APL. It. Is. ANNOYING!!!!!!! I will definitely NEVER get layers again!! Right now, my friends at my school and I are doing a little challenge from now til we get back from Christmas Break. Where we are hiding our hair. I can send u the products and regimen if u'd like. So thats what I'm doing so far so that I don't just chop off all of my long layers :drunk:

*secretly hating you because your hair is so pretty* :sekret:

Ahem, ok, yeah, your front layers have a ways to go...:look:

LOL! I agree, layers are evil. I shall never get another punk rock hair cut ever, ever, ever again. My rocker days are over...:wallbash:

Post the products and regimen here if you don't mind...

Oh, and I have also noticed that I am going to have to take another break from wrapping at night. I see that when the shorter hairs grow out, it'll look better. The longer or heavier your hair is the better a wrap will "take", I guess.

i am. i tried to give myself a cut to make my layers less severe. my shortest layers were ear length and my longest were APL. it annoyed the crap out of me. now its between ear length ad neck length and im planning for a even cut in june or july.i dont want a 100% straight across cut though. i would like a slight u shape.

i am. i tried to give myself a cut to make my layers less severe. my shortest layers were ear length and my longest were APL. it annoyed the crap out of me. now its between ear length ad neck length and im planning for a even cut in june or july.i dont want a 100% straight across cut though. i would like a slight u shape.

Hmm, wait, so you're gonna cut the APL part? Or just shape it so that it's in a U formation?

Very interesting...:scratchch

My hair has layers too yall, I hate it, but its growing out, but It needs to speed up,lol :wallbash:

Are you going to cut it at once to make it even one day? Or just trim a little off the bottom each time?

What's the best option, do y'all think? I guess it depends on if you wear your hair down or not, probably, right?

*secretly hating you because your hair is so pretty* :sekret:

Ahem, ok, yeah, your front layers have a ways to go...:look:

LOL! I agree, layers are evil. I shall never get another punk rock hair cut ever, ever, ever again. My rocker days are over...:wallbash:

Post the products and regimen here if you don't mind...
LOL to secretly hating. its pretty when it wants to be. and dyeing it black helped the ends not look so gross. plus i recently just trimmed my own ends cuz im broke lol. but the document is twice the size allowed to post, so ill PM u and email it to u.

I want to grow my layers out but I don't know how. Can anyone suggesty anything.

The bottom half of my hair is to BSL but the next layers only fall to APLand at the very front, like my bangs are about to my collar bone if you pull them straight down in the front.

I want to grow my layers out but I don't know how. Can anyone suggesty anything.

The bottom half of my hair is to BSL but the next layers only fall to APLand at the very front, like my bangs are about to my collar bone if you pull them straight down in the front.

From my experience, it's either:
1) Chop the longer layers to a blunt length at the shorter layer length or
2) Trim the longer layers gradually while the shorter layers grow till they meet somewhere in the middle (which is what I'm doing) (aka "trim till it's even")

In addition to your basic healthy hair pratices of course. (Protective style, no heat or whatever...)

Hmm, wait, so you're gonna cut the APL part? Or just shape it so that it's in a U formation?

Very interesting...:scratchch
i cut it already but it stil has layers they are just not as extreme. by the time i get to june or july my hair should be full sl and i will get it cut into a u shape then.

From my experience, it's either:
1) Chop the longer layers to a blunt length at the shorter layer length or
2) Trim the longer layers gradually while the shorter layers grow till they meet somewhere in the middle (which is what I'm doing) (aka "trim till it's even")

In addition to your basic healthy hair pratices of course. (Protective style, no heat or whatever...)

i'm doing a combination of both. I WILL NOT cut my longer layers. But I took all the short layers and cut them into one length. which u can see in my siggy why the top half of my hair is one length. I couldn't deal with several different short layers:wallbash:.

its been easier to handle ever since i did this. It looks weird when its out tho. which is why i'll add a track

I guess I am, but I am going to wait until my longest layer gets closer to my goal and then I am just going start trimming then. I was going to trim this coming month but decided to hold off indefinitely, so we'll see :)

Im growing out my layers. It seems that it takes me twice as long to reach my hair goals, because of these darn layers!!

I think I will forever be some type of layered.. I just want my shortest one to be between SL and APL.. I like layers; makes the hair look fuller. Just want them to be longer!

i'm doing a combination of both. I WILL NOT cut my longer layers. But I took all the short layers and cut them into one length. which u can see in my siggy why the top half of my hair is one length. I couldn't deal with several different short layers:wallbash:.

its been easier to handle ever since i did this. It looks weird when its out tho. which is why i'll add a track

Yeah that's what we're doing with my sides. I hate it :ohwell: So I'm keeping the back SL till they match up. Actually now that I think about it, it is in a u-shape...*sigh* it'll grow back into a 'v' though.

I think I will forever be some type of layered.. I just want my shortest one to be between SL and APL.. I like layers; makes the hair look fuller. Just want them to be longer!

This is me...If I don't look at it this way, I feel like I'll never reach my ultimate goal...But do you know how hard it is to explain to a hairdresser? Well, the one I tried to explain it to anyways...It's no big...that's an ex-hairdresser :look:

Im growing out my layers. It seems that it takes me twice as long to reach my hair goals, because of these darn layers!!

ITA. Three years till BSL, when it's only 5 inches away....:lachen:

I think that if my shorter layers were SL or longer, and the middle and back were also longer, I could wait on the trimming. But my lowest panel of hair screws it all up. At least it'll grow back thicker while it's being trimmed. I was collarbone length in the back but had to trim it. :(

It does look better though. People are noticing...haha

Last edited:
I think what I may end up doing is some form of what you said Artemis. Slowly trim away the layers until my longest layers get to WL and just maintain and let the other layers play catch up.

I'm growing out layers, but I am waiting until my hair is much, much longer before I attempt to start cutting it even. I don't know, I kind of like layers so I might keep my hair layered once it grows past APL.

I am so glad I'm not the only one suffering through this awkward stage. My longest layers are half way to apl and the shortest to chin length. I just had a good trim about a month ago to kind of even it up a little, but i didn't want to cut everything to chin length after so much work of growing. :nono: I've been thinking of growing to apl and then trimming and trimming until everything else catches up. I figure that way, I'll feel like I have a lot of progress, but I also hate the idea of stalling my future progress for a year before I can continue.

I hate the layers!

Are you going to cut it at once to make it even one day? Or just trim a little off the bottom each time?

What's the best option, do y'all think? I guess it depends on if you wear your hair down or not, probably, right?

I don't even know what to do :sad:, im open to advice. :lick:

Back