Anyone here who does not do protein treatments....

hot_pepper96

I've found that just about all protein treatments dry my hair out and make it tangled (Even with hours of deep conditioning).

I've wondered if there was anyone else here who does not use protein regularly. I remember I never even heard of clarifying shampoos either back in Miami when I was in college around 2000-2002. All I used was Softsheen Carson Breakthru Shampoo and conditioner, Mane & Tail sometimes as a leave-in, Pantene light detangler, and the Yaki Detangler.

My hair thrived then.

I never used protein up until a few months ago. My hair was still growing, but whenever it hit close to about APL, it would always start breaking at the ends. So I guess technically your hair can thrive without it, mine didn't do too great because it wouldn't really have any strength. Maybe hardcore treatments are too much for some hair and occasional conditioners like Keraphix are better.

i don't so the hardcore treatments like Aphogee and Emergencee. I used to and I will again if needed, but I don't do them on a regular basis.

I do make sure that I use reconstructors like Keraphix, though.

I do not intentionally do protein treatments. I say intentionally because I'm sure that I have conditioners that contain protein, but I do not use anything that is specifically labeled as a protein treatment. It's a personal decision because I tried various products and I never noticed any real difference. However, I go to the dominican salon weekly (no blowouts, though) and keep my hair very moisturized. I rarely experience breakage.

I've never used protein treatments only regular conditioner that comes with the shampoo i use and when i go to the salon, I get some peppermint deep conditioner. This seems to work fine, no breakage.

I've never directly used a protein treatment. I only CO washed my hair with products that somewhere that have protein in it. I have only experienced the seasonal shedding and no breakage.

I don't use protein on a regular basis because my hair seems to react badly to it. I try to buy products with no protein in them for my daily hair care. On occasion, I will use GPB. But I have a feeling that I could a long time without using any protein products at all. Now protein in the diet...that's a different story.

lyphe said:
I've never directly used a protein treatment. I only CO washed my hair with products that somewhere that have protein in it. I have only experienced the seasonal shedding and no breakage.

Yep, what she said ;)

Is Motions CPR considered protein? I fell aleep with this on and I'm still trying to detangle. This has never happened with any conditioner I fell asleep in.

This is wierd....I just used Aphogee and my hair is breaking all over the place, it's dry and tangled. I even made sure that I used the Balancing Moisturizing Conditioner after I finished. I used it once when I was relaxed and it worked fine.......Now that I'm natural, I think it's too much. I should have stuck to my Nexxus Keraphix, I have great results with it. Well, now that I know that it was definately the protein that is wrecking my hair, I will know better next time. Thanks for posting this!!

I am going to stop using protein I think moisture suits my hair better. But not just any moisture it has to penetrate in order to take effect. So I am going to stay away from products that contain Petrolatum and Lanolin.

i also just use products with protein in them occasionally, such as salerm 21 .

i only use protein after my relaxer :)

Back