Anyone here wear Cornrows like Longhairdontcare???

Vintageglam

So a recent thread of BlackMasterpiece (thanks BMP) showcasing Longhairdontcare's reggie got me thinking about the whole low manipulation strategy.

I have tried both micro braids and weaves for growth but have decided to retire them for a while to allow my hairline to recover a little. I have in the meantime decided to experiment with cornrows and wigs for growth.

Thing is I want my cornrows underneath to look pretty so that I can rock some nice styles in the privacy of my own home and to keep the sexy for DH .

I plan to leave them in for 2 -3 weeks at a time and rinse my scalp, co-wash and DC in them thereby allowing for low manipulation and combing. I will then take them out at the end of every 2 -3 weeks and have a super duper DC and protein treatment before putting them back in again a few days/ week later.

I decided upon the idea after remembering that my hair grew so much as a kid when my hair was mainly braided and cornrowed up.

Anyhoooooo do any of you lovely ladies here have any ideas for designs. I am particularly keen to keep the stress off my hairline... :yep:

Looking forward to seeing some lovely designs.

TIA Ladies :thankyou:

Last edited:
hey there
I am about to cornrow my hair for another crochet style.

My last style lasted 14 days, but I wasn't happy with how I braided my hair so I decided to take it down and redo it.

I don't want to just braid rows straight back, because when I was researching on YT I saw a couple of vids where you could see the parts all the way down the middle.

So my plan
braid the section of hair between my eyes to the crown of my head, then connect them at the crown with one braid going across my head, and then connecting that braid with a side braid that will be braided all the way to the back.

The back I will braid in a zig zag starting just below the opcitical bone (SP)
to the nap

hopefull I will like that pattern better
I will post picks when I do it. Right now I am doing a henna treatment. I may not braid my hair until tomorrow.

I usually braid my hair in 12 neat cornrows then put on a satin bonnet then a hat on & go to work. I leave the hat on all day but the reason I make them neat b/c you never know what's going to happen. I usually keep them for 2 weeks & either wash w/ them on once a week or take them down after two weeks & then wash my hair.

i started box braiding my own hair and leaving it in for at least 3 weeks at a time. Co weashing or rinsing during the weeks and then taking down and conditioning at the end of the braid period. hth

Ms Blue are you allowed to wear hat's at work? That's like PS heaven?

Do you get hot some times?

Yeah b/c where I'm located in the office, no one see me also my "professional dress code" requires me to wear jeans all the time.....I am always cold so wearing the bonnet & hat helps me a lot.

Hey stellagirl76, glad I inspired! I really love that thread.

I decided to adopt LongHairDontCare's braid reggie but I don't feel the most attractive with just cornrows...alot of ladies can pull it off and pull it off well but I personally don't feel very feminine with them. So I decided to do crochet braids because it looks great and super realistic, it's based on cornrows, your scalp really gets an opportunity to breathe, you can easily wash and go weekly and theres very minimal maintenence. Whats great about them is as your cornrows get fuzzy and old and grown out...nobody can tell because 98% of it is covered by the added hair. This lasted me 5 weeks and it could have gone 2 months with a better braid pattern.

I got incredible new growth with this low manipulation style, I took pics so I'll be sharing when things settle down for me a little more. Unfortunately I might not have time to put another install in this weekend so I might have to straighten and wear my hair like that for the week but I'll definitely reinstall by next weekend....I can really see myself reaching waistlength with the help of this style.

i can't canerow properly :sad:

i've being wearing my hair in two big plaits then putting my slouchy beanie hate over and i've being have great results.
2wqy4h5.jpg

a slouchy hat like this but my hair is tucked away

when i learn to canerow i will canerow my hair then put my slouchy beanie hat over that. even though i manipulate less with my hair in plaits i usually re-plait(without combing) every night.

i would love to get my manipulation down even more my hair loves it

i can french braid but since my hair has gotten thick and longer i can't do it in two anymore but if i did it in 4 it would be easier

i started wearing cornrows 3 weeks ago. I braided it in such a way that i can put them in a high ponytail and wear a fake curly ponytail to cover the ends. then i add a headband and call it a day.

this is definitely my lazy hairstyle because i was getting tired of spending 5 hours on twists every week....now i just plan to refresh these cornrows every two weeks until i get tired of them....im hoping to crochet some hair in but i cant find bulk hair that looks nice enough to try.....

I decided to adopt LongHairDontCare's braid reggie but I don't feel the most attractive with just cornrows...alot of ladies can pull it off and pull it off well but I personally don't feel very feminine with them. So I decided to do crochet braids because it looks great and super realistic, it's based on cornrows, your scalp really gets an opportunity to breathe, you can easily wash and go weekly and theres very minimal maintenence. Whats great about them is as your cornrows get fuzzy and old and grown out...nobody can tell because 98% of it is covered by the added hair. This lasted me 5 weeks and it could have gone 2 months with a better braid pattern.

I got incredible new growth with this low manipulation style, I took pics so I'll be sharing when things settle down for me a little more. Unfortunately I might not have time to put another install in this weekend so I might have to straighten and wear my hair like that for the week but I'll definitely reinstall by next weekend....I can really see myself reaching waistlength with the help of this style.

Hi,

Which hair are you using for your crochet style? I really want to try it, so trying to learn how to make smaller cornrows. I can't seem to get the rows close enough together and I don't want those big gaps.

BMP I hear you on this one, and that's why the canerows will be for my eyes only i.e. at home etc.

Btw how do you find washing and DCing in the crochet braids?

Hey stellagirl, I'm about to start doing this from next week when my wig arrives. I will put in 10 - 12 cornrows and plan to cowash and DC every 2 weeks. I've made a concoction of shea butter, castor oil, avocado oil, peppermint and rosemary EO to moisturise every evening before going to bed. My hair really likes the mixture. I'm transitioning at the moment and my new growth is OUT OF CONTROL so I'm hiding it away for most of this year until I learn how to handle natural hair properly. I'm going to do some wavy style kind of cornrow. I'll take pictures of it and put it on here for you when I'm done. HHG :)

Hey stellagirl, I'm about to start doing this from next week when my wig arrives. I will put in 10 - 12 cornrows and plan to cowash and DC every 2 weeks. I've made a concoction of shea butter, castor oil, avocado oil, peppermint and rosemary EO to moisturise every evening before going to bed. My hair really likes the mixture. I'm transitioning at the moment and my new growth is OUT OF CONTROL so I'm hiding it away for most of this year until I learn how to handle natural hair properly. I'm going to do some wavy style kind of cornrow. I'll take pictures of it and put it on here for you when I'm done. HHG :)

I would really appreciate that :yep:

BTW if you ever need stuff in the UAE let me know I already do this for one of my buddies out there. Can't be easy.

I'm a believer in low manipulation and results...I did not really wear cornrows...I wore the celie plaits under my wig out of LAZINESS and I was really just throwing on a wig everyday...

The low manipulation did work I went from....this to this

mail.jpg

12-27-09.jpg

1-1-10str8.jpg

(my bra is super low)

BUT I WASNT TAKING CARE OF MY HAIR THE WAY I SHOULD HAVE so I will say this...low manipulation is good but take care ur hair unlike I did

So a recent thread of BlackMasterpiece (thanks BMP) showcasing Longhairdontcare's reggie got me thinking about the whole low manipulation strategy.

I have tried both micro braids and weaves for growth but have decided to retire them for a while to allow my hairline to recover a little. I have in the meantime decided to experiment with cornrows and wigs for growth.

Thing is I want my cornrows underneath to look pretty so that I can rock some nice styles in the privacy of my own home and to keep the sexy for DH .

I plan to leave them in for 2 -3 weeks at a time and rinse my scalp, co-wash and DC in them thereby allowing for low manipulation and combing. I will then take them out at the end of every 2 -3 weeks and have a super duper DC and protein treatment before putting them back in again a few days/ week later.

I decided upon the idea after remembering that my hair grew so much as a kid when my hair was mainly braided and cornrowed up.

Anyhoooooo do any of you lovely ladies here have any ideas for designs. I am particularly keen to keep the stress off my hairline... :yep:

Looking forward to seeing some lovely designs.

TIA Ladies :thankyou:

Where can I find her reggi? TY

I do cornrows, here are some old pic...
P7190031-vi.jpg
P7190034-vi.jpg

Temi that is lush.... :drool:.... hook a sista up :yep:

I'm a believer in low manipulation and results...I did not really wear cornrows...I wore the celie plaits under my wig out of LAZINESS and I was really just throwing on a wig everyday...

The low manipulation did work I went from....this to this

mail.jpg

12-27-09.jpg

1-1-10str8.jpg

(my bra is super low)

BUT I WASNT TAKING CARE OF MY HAIR THE WAY I SHOULD HAVE so I will say this...low manipulation is good but take care ur hair unlike I did

That is some good progress :shocked:

Where can I find her reggi? TY

Blackmasterpiece did a thread on it so have a search through her threads.

damn stellagirl, looks as if you've gotten a lot of help already! i just switched to cornrows, too! it's the season, i guess.

I have a part down the middle, and a soft "s" shaped curve pattern on each side to the back. my beautician doesn't want me to wash every week because the hair will get frizzy, etc.

i'm going to continuing washing each week, while wearing a stocking cap. i work out/sweat and wearing golf caps/motorcycle helmets every other day, so, i have to do this.

good luck on your cornrow journey.

Great choice!

Hi,

Which hair are you using for your crochet style? I really want to try it, so trying to learn how to make smaller cornrows. I can't seem to get the rows close enough together and I don't want those big gaps.
I used freetress water wave and I had such an awesome experience with it that I've decided to stick to it:yep: I'l be using this hair for all my future installs of crochet braids just took my last set down yesterday...plan to have em back in by next weekend.

BMP I hear you on this one, and that's why the canerows will be for my eyes only i.e. at home etc.

Btw how do you find washing and DCing in the crochet braids?
Washing was a breeze I just took the shampoo and rubbed between my cornrows rise and repeat three times then I added a quarter sized amount of conditioner to the added hair and a very generous amount to my cornrows sealed my cornrows with an oil added a scoop of gel to the added hair and allowed it to airdry by going about my merry business:yep:

It really spoiled me.....can't wait to reinstall them....this time my braid pattern is gonna be super precise....built to last.

I usually braid my hair in 12 neat cornrows then put on a satin bonnet then a hat on & go to work. I leave the hat on all day but the reason I make them neat b/c you never know what's going to happen. I usually keep them for 2 weeks & either wash w/ them on once a week or take them down after two weeks & then wash my hair.

EXACTLY! I do the exact same thing; satin bonnet each moring under a hat. Because I work in a super casual office I can also wear earrings. Most of my hats look like the ones I have attached to this post. I add big earrings and I am out the door. I've changed jobs and I am pretty sure the people I work with don't think I have hair. lol

slouchy-knit-cap.jpg

Last edited:
I've been trying out this regimen until I get to APL (possibly all the way to BSL if it works very well for me). I've been on it since Jan, and thanks to the inspiration of BMP, also using crochet braids (although I am using different hair since freetress is hard to find here (wtf))

Image68.jpg

TBH I didn't like them at first but its grown on me, and its very simple.

When it gets warmer, I plan to wear cute cornrow styles like this
79644sm.jpg

and
yayapic.jpg

But I can't cornrow neatly for the life of me, so It's likely I'll have to go to an african braider for it

I want to do this for the next 2-3 months.

I tested out a couple of braiders last week and now all I have to do is find some styles I like since one of the braiders was really good.

no cornrows because I could not cornrow to save my life. I have tried I mean really tried.

I am thinking of weaving or wigs though because of this, but rocking cornrows would be a no no. Plus it is't my style.

I have also learnt that even though Longhairdontcare2011 washes her hair once a month, because of the product I use, my hair can't stand it. My hair is weighed down big time and I have experienced breakage at my nape because I always wear a bun. My hair hates me for pulling those coils in to a bun. (Sorry, slightly off topic, but I wanted to share!)

This is exactly what I've been doing for the past 3/4 weeks while my hair was in twists. It is cold in LDN right now so my satin bonnet and hats have become my best friends!

Some pics of me PSing with my satin bonnet and hats:

1. The canerows I did:

2. Satin cap on top:

3. Hats:

Thanks ladies for all your responses. Just to clarify that the Cornrows are for my eyes and DH's only and to minimize manipulation whilst washing/ DCing and keep me feeling :gorgeous: on a daily basis when I take my wig off at the end of the day. :yep:

As such I am just looking for styles that look pretty which I can rock when I take my PS of my wig off so that I am not stuck with lazy and un-styled under wig hair.

Keep em coming ladies !!!

ETA: Very pretty and you have some thick hair girl !!! My cornrows look anorexic compared to yours :lol:

If that ETA was aimed at me, thank you chica. Your hair will thicken up in no time, from what I can you are not playin with this haircare game :lol:

Thanks ladies for all your responses. Just to clarify that the Cornrows are for my eyes and DH's only and to minimize manipulation whilst washing/ DCing and keep me feeling :gorgeous: on a daily basis when I take my wig off at the end of the day. :yep:

As such I am just looking for styles that look pretty which I can rock when I take my PS of my wig off so that I am not stuck with lazy and un-styled under wig hair.

Keep em coming ladies !!!
Ohhhhh you should have titled this thread cute cornrow style ideas lol I'll be back with pics later today;)

Back