Anyone here wear Cornrows like Longhairdontcare???

I was thinking about doing some cornrows for a little while in order to give my hair a break. I was thinking of doing my own hair, no hair added :ohwell:. Is this a good idea or not. The type of style I want is extremely simple. I want my hair conrowed strait back into a low bun. I was planning on keeping the cornrows in for 2-3 weeks. Will this work with braiding just my hair or do you think I need hair added? Also, anyone have any cornrow bunned pics?

Thanks ladies for all your responses. Just to clarify that the Cornrows are for my eyes and DH's only and to minimize manipulation whilst washing/ DCing and keep me feeling :gorgeous: on a daily basis when I take my wig off at the end of the day. :yep:

As such I am just looking for styles that look pretty which I can rock when I take my PS of my wig off so that I am not stuck with lazy and un-styled under wig hair.

Keep em coming ladies !!!

ETA: Very pretty and you have some thick hair girl !!! My cornrows look anorexic compared to yours :lol:

same here, cuz on weekends and when im at home.. i never rock my wig... i snatch it off soon as i get home...and most of the time i wear a beanie hat/ if i dont feel like wearing the wig to work.... but look under this right here and you find fairly neat bu all unorganized corn rows, im about to start getting it braided cute for whn im at home... as it is getting longer, i probaly will rock the cornrows too. depends on how cute they look.

This is what I'm doing and since January, I've probably grew and retained 1.5-2.5 inches of hair. I've also been consistent with my exercise and water intake which helps account for the growth spurt. Plus, I have had a tremendous reduction in split ends since I do not have to manipulate my hair but once a week when I wash & DC. If I'm consistent, I know I could definitely make MBL or even WSL this year (I'm fairly confident that I'm at BSL now) :yep:.

I'm a believer in low manipulation and results...I did not really wear cornrows...I wore the celie plaits under my wig out of LAZINESS and I was really just throwing on a wig everyday...

The low manipulation did work I went from....this to this

mail.jpg

12-27-09.jpg

1-1-10str8.jpg

(my bra is super low)

BUT I WASNT TAKING CARE OF MY HAIR THE WAY I SHOULD HAVE so I will say this...low manipulation is good but take care ur hair unlike I did

If that ETA was aimed at me, thank you chica. Your hair will thicken up in no time, from what I can you are not playin with this haircare game :lol:

It was for you VeePickni :lol: Can't wait till mine thicken up and yeah you;re right - I aint playin....:lachen: I gots to get beautiful too !!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ohhhhh you should have titled this thread cute cornrow style ideas lol I'll be back with pics later today;)

:clap: :yay: - can't wait for it BMP !!!

I was thinking about doing some cornrows for a little while in order to give my hair a break. I was thinking of doing my own hair, no hair added :ohwell:. Is this a good idea or not. The type of style I want is extremely simple. I want my hair conrowed strait back into a low bun. I was planning on keeping the cornrows in for 2-3 weeks. Will this work with braiding just my hair or do you think I need hair added? Also, anyone have any cornrow bunned pics?

I am not an expert on this but I am sure the ladies on LHCF will chime in soon..... :yep:

same here, cuz on weekends and when im at home.. i never rock my wig... i snatch it off soon as i get home...and most of the time i wear a beanie hat/ if i dont feel like wearing the wig to work.... but look under this right here and you find fairly neat bu all unorganized corn rows, im about to start getting it braided cute for whn im at home... as it is getting longer, i probaly will rock the cornrows too. depends on how cute they look.

That's my plan too tiff and I just thought I want to look cute in the house too.... :lol:

This is what I'm doing and since January, I've probably grew and retained 1.5-2.5 inches of hair. I've also been consistent with my exercise and water intake which helps account for the growth spurt. Plus, I have had a tremendous reduction in split ends since I do not have to manipulate my hair but once a week when I wash & DC. If I'm consistent, I know I could definitely make MBL or even WSL this year (I'm fairly confident that I'm at BSL now) :yep:.

That;s what I'm talkin about !!! Thanks for the inspiration kblc :yep: :kiss:

When I was growing out my perm "a year" I used cornrows and individual braids I'd change style every 2 weeks and OMG it grew my hair in thick I also think infusium 23 had a lot to do with my hair not breaking off with two textures.

Stella,
Just let me know when you are ready. I have a salon i go to on Old kent Road that I go to. Great braiders/weaver etc..

Hey Temi, just out of interest how much do they charge for a style like the one u posted earlier? I wouldn't want hair added though.

I think the one TemiLnd posted was gorgeous and would be a beautiful look:yep: I would get a cute feminine design underneath and maybe do individual braids in the back to make it even more feminine...it would still lay down and fit in your wig I think. Anywhoo here are some styles I thought would work for you.

woman-cornrows.jpg

alicia_keys_portrait.jpg

pd926807.jpg

I originally came in to suggest crochet braids, but I see you already got lots of advice on that! My current set is coming out tomorrow, exactly 3 weeks after I installed it. My cornrows are nice and loose and I am soooo excited. I ordered more hair during this sale HairSisters had a few weeks back ($4.60 a pack) and my mom is even excited to get some crochet braids of her own. Definitely a keeper as far as protective styles go.

If my forehead wasn't so big :look: I'd wear cornrows more often. In middle school, I got my hair cornrowed every few weeks (with hair added) and rocked a bun or ponytail in the back.

TemiLnd, those styles are HOT!!!!

So a recent thread of BlackMasterpiece (thanks BMP) showcasing Longhairdontcare's reggie got me thinking about the whole low manipulation strategy.

I have tried both micro braids and weaves for growth but have decided to retire them for a while to allow my hairline to recover a little. I have in the meantime decided to experiment with cornrows and wigs for growth.

Thing is I want my cornrows underneath to look pretty so that I can rock some nice styles in the privacy of my own home and to keep the sexy for DH .

I plan to leave them in for 2 -3 weeks at a time and rinse my scalp, co-wash and DC in them thereby allowing for low manipulation and combing. I will then take them out at the end of every 2 -3 weeks and have a super duper DC and protein treatment before putting them back in again a few days/ week later.

I decided upon the idea after remembering that my hair grew so much as a kid when my hair was mainly braided and cornrowed up.

Anyhoooooo do any of you lovely ladies here have any ideas for designs. I am particularly keen to keep the stress off my hairline... :yep:

Looking forward to seeing some lovely designs.

TIA Ladies :thankyou:

makes me look like a boy :sad:

BMP thank u for reminding me about that Alicia Keys one, I been promising myself that one for sooo long now. It's a great time for me to do it now, LDN is far too cold to think about having loose hair right now :(

OMG!!

I am wearing my hair like this right now and have been doing so for weeks :grin:

I wear earrings with it too to dress it up a bit. When I read Ms. Blue's post earlier I almost went and checked to make sure I hadnt wrote it :lachen:

Cornrows, a satin bonnet and a slouchie beanie will be my look till my birthday at the end of April. Then I'm getting it blown out for my bday, and the following week I am going into box braids for my trip to miami.

I'm gonna stretch till the 4th of July and this is gonna make it a breeze :gorgeous:

EXACTLY! I do the exact same thing; satin bonnet each moring under a hat. Because I work in a super casual office I can also wear earrings. Most of my hats look like the ones I have attached to this post. I add big earrings and I am out the door. I've changed jobs and I am pretty sure the people I work with don't think I have hair. lol

slouchy-knit-cap.jpg

I used to wear cornrows growing up and they were not my favourite hair style. I have fine hair and they always looked terrible by the week's end. I tend to find that my cornrows always looked better when my mother used heat on my natural hair first. When I was in Dakar last year my braider did some cornrows for me so I could protect my hair from the very hot sun and I lost some hair in the front because she braided one area too tight. I like though how braids give a woman an instant mini face lift.

Best,
Almond Eyes

makes me look like a boy :sad:

Its funny, I feel the same way although back in the day, when I was in High School in the 70s both girls and boys wore cornrows ( no extensions). Now, so many guys wear them that they APPEAR to be a masculine style.

Back