Anyone here use regular mayonassie on their hair?

morehairplease

If so, how often do you use it? Is mayo consider a protein or moisture treatment? If it's not too much trouble could you post exactly how you use it?

thanks in advance ladies,
tishee

I think a couple people here do use it straight out of the jar. If you do use mayonnaise, I would recommend using actual mayonnaise and not Miracle Whip (which is not actually mayonnaise at all).

Because mayonnaise contains eggs and fats, it kind of has moisture and protein properties.

I make my own version at home by blending 3 egg yolks with about 8 oz. of any oil that I have at home. I just use my hand mixer and slowly drizzle in the oil on top of the eggs until it gets to the consistency that I like. I add a protein conditioner at the end and use it as a pre-shampoo. Taking out the egg whites helps me avoid the dreaded cooked egg issues when I try to rinse it out. There's also no smell.

HTH

I am sitting her with Mayo in my hair right now. I used about 3/4 a cup of mayo and added some Jamaican Mango and Lime Island oil to it. I have a heating cap on right now also. I am going to leave it on for about 30 mins then washed with a moisturizing shampoo, then use Aubreys GPB or another moisturizing conditoner. This is my first time using it. So i'll post how my hair comes out later.

myco said:
I think a couple people here do use it straight out of the jar. If you do use mayonnaise, I would recommend using actual mayonnaise and not Miracle Whip (which is not actually mayonnaise at all).

Because mayonnaise contains eggs and fats, it kind of has moisture and protein properties.

I make my own version at home by blending 3 egg yolks with about 8 oz. of any oil that I have at home. I just use my hand mixer and slowly drizzle in the oil on top of the eggs until it gets to the consistency that I like. I add a protein conditioner at the end and use it as a pre-shampoo. Taking out the egg whites helps me avoid the dreaded cooked egg issues when I try to rinse it out. There's also no smell.

HTH

Am i reading this wrong or do you use 8oz of oil along with the 3 egg yolks. Or is it 8oz of mayo with the eggs and you add oil.

I use to use Mayo all the time. It really strengthens my hair. I haven't done it in a while because I hate the smell. Eggs are good to but it's so messy!

I think it's more of a protein treatment. I usually have to use something moisturizing after washing it out.

Sweetcoco82 said:
Am i reading this wrong or do you use 8oz of oil along with the 3 egg yolks. Or is it 8oz of mayo with the eggs and you add oil.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. It's more of a homemade mayonnaise minus the vinegar or lemon juice:

8oz. of oil
3 egg yolks
protein conditioner

myco said:
Sorry I wasn't clearer. It's more of a homemade mayonnaise minus the vinegar or lemon juice:

8oz. of oil
3 egg yolks
protein conditioner

Thanks for clearing that up for me. How do you use 8 oz of oil without it dripping all over the place? And also what protein conditioners do yu use? TIA

Sweetcoco82 said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. How do you use 8 oz of oil without it dripping all over the place? And also what protein conditioners do yu use? TIA

When you add the oil to the eggs using the mixer the egg emulsifies the oil and turns it into a creamier consistency. There is still something dripping, but it's minimal compared to just straight oil. But you can decrease the oil if necessary. I use Vitale's Revive Conditioner. It's a liquid reconstructor.

myco said:

HTH

myco thanks SO much!

Sweetcoco82 said:
I am sitting her with Mayo in my hair right now. I used about 3/4 a cup of mayo and added some Jamaican Mango and Lime Island oil to it. I have a heating cap on right now also. I am going to leave it on for about 30 mins then washed with a moisturizing shampoo, then use Aubreys GPB or another moisturizing conditoner. This is my first time using it. So i'll post how my hair comes out later.

wow, Sweetcoco your mixture sounds good! Waiting for that report

MissDiva said:
I use to use Mayo all the time. It really strengthens my hair. I haven't done it in a while because I hate the smell. Eggs are good to but it's so messy!

I think it's more of a protein treatment. I usually have to use something moisturizing after washing it out.

thanks MissDiva! Do you mind telling me how exactly you used it?

thanks in advance,
tishee

tishee said:
thanks Lucia

How exactly are you using it?

thanks in advance
tishee

I use it straight out of the jar-I have it just for my hair. I also mix it with henna and condish to deep condish and darken my hair.

tishee said:
wow, Sweetcoco your mixture sounds good! Waiting for that report

My hair deffinately feels stronger. My hair was too soft and stretched way too much. After washing out the mayo. I shampooed my hair as usual. Then I used some Aubrey's GPB. I let that sit on there for maybe an hour with a pastic cap. Washed it out. Used some Giovanni Direct leave in, then my Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive heavy cream. I put it in a bun to let it air dry. Now my hair feels great. This is a keeper. Next time i may add 1 egg.

Lucia said:
I use it straight out of the jar-I have it just for my hair. I also mix it with henna and condish to deep condish and darken my hair.

thanks Lucia.

How long do you let it stay on your hair?

tia,
tishee

Sweetcoco82 said:
My hair deffinately feels stronger. My hair was too soft and stretched way too much. After washing out the mayo. I shampooed my hair as usual. Then I used some Aubrey's GPB. I let that sit on there for maybe an hour with a pastic cap. Washed it out. Used some Giovanni Direct leave in, then my Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive heavy cream. I put it in a bun to let it air dry. Now my hair feels great. This is a keeper. Next time i may add 1 egg.

sweetcoco this is good to hear! I am going to try it this weekend once I am done w/my summer class.

I have also read posts on another site about people using regular mayonnaise

My only concern would be that it contains salt which is meant to be bad for the hair but maybe the salt is so small that it does not have any adverse effects

When i was younger and couldn't afford alot of hair products, I used Mayo and add a little olive oil to it and leave it on my hair for an hour or so. It kept my hair strong.

Lucia said:

I tried this same kind of mix for my 1st henna treatment and I loved it! :p

I tried this a few times, also recently. I mixed the mayo with three eggs, and my hair was dry dry dry! My hair was pretty strong afterwards, though. Just DC after.

Back