Anyone have HIH disease....

Wishin4BSL

And still retain length? I really wonder about this sometimes because when I have newgrowth, there is this one spot on the back left corner of my nape where I play with the newgrowth constantly (it's my secret spot of 3c hair that I discovered last year and I still can't get over it! WHY is is there???:confused: :lol: ), but I wonder if it might cause balding in that one spot.

Likewise, I just found the greatest stylist in the universe at hair cuttery last week and after my relaxer and rollerwrap (Optimum relaxer....I still don't know if that's lye or no lye) , I was fascinated with the softness of my hair, especially after I put Giovanni direct leave-in and coconut oil on it and now I can't keep my hands out of my relaxed hair, but will that cause breakage? She cut off most of a lot of the overprocessed ends (about 3 inches) so now it feels super thick and healthy and I just can't stop touching it!

I said all of that just to say what I said in the beginning. Does anyone have Hand-in-Hair disease and still retain length?

I had to put my hair in braids simply FOR that reason..
I always want to touch my hair and just play in the new growth.. I love my tight curly 4b hair..

Yes I have that Hand in Hair disease big time:lol: ...it's an obsession for me!

It's something about that nice crimped new growth... I can not go longer than a few minutes with out my hands all up in my roots!.. I haven't noticed any hair loss from it though (thank GOD).. but when I pick at my edges that can easily recede b/c I pull those hairs out from the root:mad: :( So I have to train myself to leave my edges alone.. but it's so hard!

I got my hairline to fill in and thicken back up so that is enough motivation for me to keep my fingers away from the hairline.. but the fingers do creep from the crown to the back of my head and get lost in the newgrowth:grin:

I constantly play in my hair, which is why I have to bun a lot, or where my falls. If I leave my hair down I want to play with it too much.

InnerSoul said:
Yes I have that Hand in Hair disease big time:lol: ...it's an obsession for me!

It's something about that nice crimped new growth... I can not go longer than a few minutes with out my hands all up in my roots!.. I haven't noticed any hair loss from it though (thank GOD).. but when I pick at my edges that can easily recede b/c I pull those hairs out from the root:mad: :( So I have to train myself to leave my edges alone.. but it's so hard!

I got my hairline to fill in and thicken back up so that is enough motivation for me to keep my fingers away from the hairline.. but the fingers do creep from the crown to the back of my head and get lost in the newgrowth:grin:

I know EXACTLY what you mean!:lol: When I'm at home doing nothing. I'll take down my bun (I only bun at like 7 weeks post up to 12) go all up in my scalp from the front, to the sides, to the back, to check out my newgrowth. I remember my roommate saw me doing this once and was like :confused: .....:lol:

yes, i touch my hair too often that's why i'm going back to the crown n glory method, i'm determined to reach my goal again without taking any chances.

I have it BAAADDD.. I am in love with my NG. IT is pretty wavy and curly... I am always playing in my NG.. i hope i retain length, but i am not breaking off the hair

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: HOW DO YOU GET IT CAN YOU PASS IT TO OTHER:confused: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IS IT A BLACK THING CAN YOU PASS IT ON TO YOUR KIDS WHAT TREATMENT DO YOU ALL USE DO IT WORK:lol: :lol: MY HAIR JUST STARTING TO GROWING I DONT WANT THIS DISEASE AND IF YOU CAN HELP IT PLEASE DONT PASS IT ON :look: :look: I DONT WANT IT LET PEOPLE KNOW WHO YOU ARE SO I CAN LOOK OUT FOR YOU:) :) I AM SORRY I GOT TO GO DONT KNOW IF TALKING ABOUT IT YOU CAN MAY BE GET IT:confused: IAM SCARED:look: :look:

Hidden_Angel said:
I had to put my hair in braids simply FOR that reason..
I always want to touch my hair and just play in the new growth.. I love my tight curly 4b hair..

I thought they would help me too, but when I have twists or braids I patiently wait for my hair to grow long enough then I play those too. :ohwell:

I was about to feel sorry for you, thinking HIH was a real disease! LOL! I had it for a few days last week, but I had to train myself to stop :)

sareca said:
I thought they would help me too, but when I have twists or braids I patiently wait for my hair to grow long enough then I play those too. :ohwell:

Hahha, you poor thing. Thats the same way I am, somtimes I'll just sit here and play with my hair. I love how wavey,kinky it is :)

I was cured of my HIH disease when I was natural and I started pressing my hair. Sweaty oily palms + a fresh press = disaster.

Determined22 said:
I constantly play in my hair, which is why I have to bun a lot, or where my falls. If I leave my hair down I want to play with it too much.

It's the same for me. That's why I usually wear my braided ponytail.

Are you kidding? :lol: I'm constantly messing with my hair. It shouldn't be causing any problems. I mean as long as you're not developing trichotillomania (pulling your hair out for some stress-related reason) you should be fine.

Wishin4BSL said:
I know EXACTLY what you mean!:lol: When I'm at home doing nothing. I'll take down my bun (I only bun at like 7 weeks post up to 12) go all up in my scalp from the front, to the sides, to the back, to check out my newgrowth. I remember my roommate saw me doing this once and was like :confused: .....:lol:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I don't have the HIH disease, Thank God:lol: I did notice also, that the middle back part of my hair is lke 3c. It's loose waves back there, and I don't like that. I just want my hair to be all the same texture:ohwell:

Wishin4BSL back in the day when I had SL hair I never had HTH. It was only when I started transitioning and now that I've started to take care of my hair again.

sareca said:
Same here. A day after braiding my hair I realized I left a peice out:eek: ...I purposely left it out two more days just to play with it! Sad I know...

Baby you are too funny!

Last edited:
Naw, there's no disease called "hand in hair". I mean who would play in their hair all the time? The hair just sits there all nice and shiny and soft and curly at the new growth...umm yeah so my hand is in my hair right now. LOL

I do...wish i would stop because everytime i come upon one of those knotty things at the end of a strand I pop it off. ...that can't be good..but I can't help it. I also love pulling on a strand and feeling it spring back up.

I do!!

I "relaxed" my hair this past weekend. Actually I texlaxed it BIGTIME. All this week I have been in my hair playing with the texlaxed roots that reverted after I attemped to flatiron them.

I have it bad and all jokes aside it is a really serious thing for me because yeah, I pull my hair out and break it off all the time not meaning to. People I work with and my mom and friends get after me all the time and their like you're gonna be bald if you don't stop. The disease it called trichotillomania. A lot of people do have it, some worse than others. I try to keep my hair out of reach at all times when I'm home.

i have it bad...I'm thinking about wearing one of those really nice head wraps for a while to see if I can get rid of it

Back