Anyone fighting the urge to highlight hair?

kgard7777

I know with the recent threads from Queen T and a few others. We have a new love for highlighted hair. I am fighting with all my might to just say no lol. Mainly because I am afraid of the long term effects. Anyone else doing the same?

me too! i have never in my life had any color in my hair.. and i think about it constantly!!

im gonna wait tho... i dont think my hair would handle it right now

I just want highlights just so that I can have a definite way to measure my new growth as I transition. Other than that, I do not wish to alter my hair color in any way because it matches my skin perfectly as to other hair colors.

I wanna highlight my hair so bad..with a copper colored highlights, but I'm so scared of damaging my hair. Are there any hair color brands that arent damaging???

Ooooooo, BA-BEE. Every time spring/summer rolls around I get that itch, but then I think about the progress I'd be giving up and chill. Yet, they say that there are some alternatives out here that appear just as nice. But for me, the closest I plan to get to highlights is purchasing a wig with them already in it!

I spent 1 hour online looking up colors. I want highlights so badly. I just haven't figured out what color matches my complexion. Chances are I'm going to get them .... :)

Yes! yes! yes!!
Some ladies on this site have beautiful highlighted hair

I have wanted to highlight my hair for a while, my daughter highlights her hair and changes the colour every 6, months. I want to do the front of my hair, some sort of auburn/coppery colour, i haven't had colour for about10/12 years, the last time i went to a salon.

My daughter did such i good job with her hair i want her to do mine too.
Lack of funds is the only thing stopping me right now.

I got highlightes two years ago and loved them. They have pretty much grown out but I am thinking about doing it again. I didn't experience any negative effects from the color at all. I say go for it ladies!!

ooh I want some

I want light auburn or copper

I am worried about damaging my hair

I also heard some people saying that it affected their natural curl pattern

I have highlighted my hair for yrs and never had any problems. Right now I am rocking auburn but as soon as the summer hits I will be going back to my highlights!!:grin:

CHANTS....do it.do it.do it! :giggle:

Seriously, if your hair is healthy and breakage free, go for it. You can always start small with darker colors and only a few highlights. The potential for damage increases once you start using bleach.

Also, let the pros handle it!!!! :yep:

One final tip, don't get the area right in the front colored (the bang area) - this way as the roots come in it isn't as noticeable. Or, you can do what I think is really cute...peekaboo highlights. Basically the top layer of your hair is left alone and the color is put underneath the top layer. The colors peek out and look really subtle and cute.

My issues began once I started using bleach, but I switched to an Aveda colorist and it's pretty much been smooth sailing. I've been colored now going on 3 years and I'm not sick of it yet. :gorgeous: I do plan on darkening my highlights a bit though - my avi shows how blonde they are now, and my siggy shows where I started (subtle caramel strips).

Meeee... :sekret: I will hold out for another year at least though. Maybe I will celebrate the end of my transition in this way. I've always wanted highlights, and I am of the opinion that highlights can really showcase curly hair well when done right. Rachel True comes to mind every time...

Lol, you crack me up :grin: I always admire your color when I see your posts :) Nice to know Aveda is treating you right. If I get it done, I'm pretty sure that I will either go to them too, or maybe Ouidad or Deva.

The only thing that concerns me, is how can I predict how the color will change when I henna...b/c I am NOT giving up my henna :nono:

Last edited:
I am. I'm trying not to give in. I think I will dye my hair a dark brown. It should cure my itch for now.

Me. I've been fighting the urge for over a year. I quenched by using henna since last year and it's kept my curiosity under control for now. But a friend was telling me yesterday that she thinks I would look good with some blondish or golden highlights and I was like, "Leave me alone!" :lol: I didn't want to get tempted again. I don't think I'll actually go through with it. I'm terrified of the damage and I'm sick of setbacks. I don't want to have to cut my hair again for something that I did.

Yup! I'll be BCing next week and I want to color my whole head a funky color. Or I may hightlight this weekend and then chop it off.

Still undecided.

Seriously, if your hair is healthy and breakage free, go for it. You can always start small with darker colors and only a few highlights. The potential for damage increases once you start using bleach.

Also, let the pros handle it!!!! :yep:

One final tip, don't get the area right in the front colored (the bang area) - this way as the roots come in it isn't as noticeable. Or, you can do what I think is really cute...peekaboo highlights. Basically the top layer of your hair is left alone and the color is put underneath the top layer. The colors peek out and look really subtle and cute.

My issues began once I started using bleach, but I switched to an Aveda colorist and it's pretty much been smooth sailing. I've been colored now going on 3 years and I'm not sick of it yet. :gorgeous: I do plan on darkening my highlights a bit though - my avi shows how blonde they are now, and my siggy shows where I started (subtle caramel strips).

So what you are saying is....Bleach is a nono:nono:? Coz if it is then Ima go another route. Which color line has worked well on your hair Butterfly08? I know they're all damaging but I want something that's not so damaging, you know? We don't have Aveda down here in the Bahamas so I will have to settle for some other line.

I did when I had
fully relax hair.
Yea.... I would never do it again..
my hair was BEYOND DRRRHHY!!!
And many strands broke....
even when moisturized..
I would not advise anyone to get highlights...

I was kind of missing my highlights from 2 summers ago but I just did a henna treatment and with all the grey I had it looks like I got highlights. The bulk of my hair is a warm brownish read and the grey which is all through my hair is a copper color. I love it. Color without the damage.

I'd love some highlights! a copper/gingery colour would do me but I''m worried about dryness etc too.. I've managed to fight the urge for the time being but with summer around the corner I don't think I can any longer!

Yep I got them recently too!! Do it!! We all know how to take care of our hair so what there to be scared of!! Deep conditioning is the key... Moisture moisture moisture!!

I've been really struggling with that. I kinda stopped for a while though because I know I'm not disciplied enough to take care of it.

:sekret: You know you want to! :sekret:

Regards,
queen_t
Official LHCF Highlight Pusher :grin:

Every since I seen her hair, I have been so tempted to do it!!! I want to so bad! I even went to Marie CLaire I think thats the name and they have a virtual salon why you can upload a picture and try out new colors and styles I want a aburn color with some different tone, Im natural so Im told that as long as I keep my hair mositurized I will be okay !!!!

BUT this EASTER we will see!!! thats the date I want it done for

I'm fighting the urge and don't know how much longer I can.

Before the forums (pre-2007), I was always always rocking highlights. After the forums, I let them grow out and eventually big chopped. So no more highlights, but I'm been wanting to go back to them so bad ...

Back