ANYONE AIR DRY WITH RODS?

peacelove

Hi all - considering it is going to be quite a rainy summer, I want to wear my hair curly for the bulk of the summer. But since I have a regular relaxer, my hair does not go curly without some help. The back curls, but the front does not at all. I tried braid outs in the front, but I did not like the pattern. Anyone try small perm rods and air dry their hair? I was thinking of trying this with some s-curl spray.

Anyone have any tips??

So no one does anything like this? Anyone? I feel like when I post a question all I hear are crickets!
frown.gif

LOL - just kidding!
laugh.gif
But if anyone has done something to this nature, I would love the input!

I never tried airdrying on rods, but when I was relaxing my hair straighter, after blow-drying I'd loosely plait it, then roll it up on small-medium sized rollers.

I don't understand how this will help you with the rain though. If you airdry hair that is too straight to curl on it's own, wouldn't you end up with frizz, even before the rain?

Hey Peacelove...I've airdried with rods before....I love it. It's the only rollerset that I can do because it really doesn't take too much effort. For me, I can throw them in any which way, and I just come out with a nice head full of curls. They usually last for 3-4 days. I don't use the little rods, though, I use the slightly larger flexi-rods. Hope that helps!

Hugs,
Crys

[ QUOTE ]
I never tried airdrying on rods, but when I was relaxing my hair straighter, after blow-drying I'd loosely plait it, then roll it up on small-medium sized rollers.

I don't understand how this will help you with the rain though. If you airdry hair that is too straight to curl on it's own, wouldn't you end up with frizz, even before the rain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Curly,

Yeah, I think air dry was the wrong word. I am wearing my hair in a semi/wet curl. I used s-curl spray and a little worlds of curls activator. I just need help in the front getting the curl pattern. So as my hair drys I re-moisturize. I hope that makes sense! Anyway - I tried it today and it came out pretty good! The rods give me much more curl in the front and I can put them in and get a curl fairly quick. I am going to play with this for the summer. Hopefully I can find a system that works best!

How long does it take your hair to airdry with the flexirods in it??? Do you sleep in them?? (OUCH!!)

I always wanted to try the flexirod/rod thing but I have too much hair. How do you do it, can you please give me a step by step? Do you start from the middle, from the back... Do you part it in the front, are the curls hard or soft? What do you use in your hair to prepare it? I'm sorry for the million and one questions but I'd love to do this on myself. I saw a picture of someone on this board who had that curly style and it was sooo gorgeous. I forgot her name ;-( but girl if you see this, please let me know how you did that??? TIA.

Hi, Lindy. I did this on a saturday in the morning and left them in about 3 hours. My hair was not totally dry - but I still got a curl pattern in the front where I needed it.

<font color="orange"> I do an air dry twist out with rods and I love the results. I got this idea from reading Peachtree's twist out method(thank ya much girlie). Anyway, I twist my wet hair then roll the ends using end papers and rods. I airdry for about 2-3 hours and untwirl the rods. My hair is still damp at this point and I use jojoba oil or mango butter to seal in the moisture. I do end up with a little frizz, but the style is perfect for the humid climate I live in. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
I always wanted to try the flexirod/rod thing but I have too much hair. How do you do it, can you please give me a step by step? Do you start from the middle, from the back... Do you part it in the front, are the curls hard or soft? What do you use in your hair to prepare it? I'm sorry for the million and one questions but I'd love to do this on myself. I saw a picture of someone on this board who had that curly style and it was sooo gorgeous. I forgot her name ;-( but girl if you see this, please let me know how you did that??? TIA.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey caramelhonee,

i posted a long, confusing set of steps, however i did reference the person that originally influenced me (and finally showed me how to put the damn things in due to her posting pictures). look here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=Women&amp;Number=84333&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=2390&amp;Match=Username&amp;Searchpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=84333&amp;Search=true#Post84333

I air dry with the flexi rods. My hair looks really good when I do it also. I use Wild Growth Oil and part my hair in 6 columns and 5 rows. I don't know how long it takes to dry, but I sleep in them.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="orange"> I do an air dry twist out with rods and I love the results. I got this idea from reading Peachtree's twist out method(thank ya much girlie). Anyway, I twist my wet hair then roll the ends using end papers and rods. I airdry for about 2-3 hours and untwirl the rods. My hair is still damp at this point and I use jojoba oil or mango butter to seal in the moisture. I do end up with a little frizz, but the style is perfect for the humid climate I live in. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

hey smooches,

you twist your hair into separate plaits? are they the two-strand twists? can you explain please?

[ QUOTE ]

hey smooches,

you twist your hair into separate plaits? are they the two-strand twists? can you explain please?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="orange">
It's really simple. After I wash or rinse my hair, I use a leave-in and some s-curl then two strand twist (leaving the ends untwisted) and rod my hair. I part my hair into six rows ear to ear, then use about three rods or so for each row. I airdry and remove the rods, and my hair looks like fat ringlet coil curls all over. I love it.
love.gif

Since my hair is just shoulder length, the two strand twists come out better for me but the flat twists work too. Then, I just use Peachtree's method and make about eight parts front to back, flat twist then roll the ends on rods. I only do this when I'm pressed for time. HTH </font>

Can someone post a pic of the flexi rods so I can pick some up?

Also, my hair is short (when I finish up with the braids and get it cut all even, it'll probably be 1 or 2 inches past nape length, so do you all think that this style would work for me? Or is their a similiar alternative with less shrinkage?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

hey smooches,

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="orange">
It's really simple. After I wash or rinse my hair, I use a leave-in and some s-curl then two strand twist (leaving the ends untwisted) and rod my hair. I part my hair into six rows ear to ear, then use about three rods or so for each row. I airdry and remove the rods, and my hair looks like fat ringlet coil curls all over. I love it.
love.gif

Since my hair is just shoulder length, the two strand twists come out better for me but the flat twists work too. Then, I just use Peachtree's method and make about eight parts front to back, flat twist then roll the ends on rods. I only do this when I'm pressed for time. HTH </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

smooches,

i am a little confused. when you part your hair from ear to ear, approximately how many twists do you do per part? it's not one long twist from ear to ear, is it? i know these are probably sounding like stupid questions, but i'm trying to get a visual. thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
bumping for smooches
poke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="orange"> Thanks diva, I didn't see this one. </font>

[ QUOTE ]

smooches,

i am a little confused. when you part your hair from ear to ear, approximately how many twists do you do per part? it's not one long twist from ear to ear, is it? i know these are probably sounding like stupid questions, but i'm trying to get a visual. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="orange">
grin.gif
Nooooo, I don't do one long twist from ear to ear because I don't really want to walk around looking crazy. If I flat twist then I do it from front to back.

I prefer to do two-strand twists. That's when I make ear to ear parts. I'm going to be really real with you and let you know that I don't know exactly how many twists I do per row. I'd say about three or four depending on how I feel. I don't concentrate on nice parts or anything though. I just section the hair, twist it, then rod it up. When it dries, I release the rods and end up with a bunch of coily two strand twists all over my head. Next I unravel the twists and finger style. Then I have waves, coils and ringlets. This lasts until the next rinse or up to three days. It looks a lot like the picture Peachtree posted of her twist out but I go through these steps because her method doesn't quite work out for me.

I hope this gives you a better picture. I'm realizing that it's hard to explain and I don't have a picture right now. I'll see if I can post one soon.

</font>

I've used my rods only a couple of times as experiments. I think I'll airdry with them after my next wash. I have the big purple rods.

Back