Any Weave/Wig Virgins...

• Thread starter Thread starter patient1
  • Start date Start date
P

patient1

considering going uncherry?

I don't know what's gotten into me (the hairboards maybe :look:) but lately all I think about is getting a weave.

I've worn braid extensions but I've always drawn the line at weaves and wigs. The last two have never felt like me. I've had natural hair for a looooong time but have usually kept it cut. A few months ago I flat-ironed my hair and had it cut into a bob, kept it like that for a week, and then wore my fros, twists, etc.

But the weave bug has bitten and won't let me go. I sort of feel like I should go ahead and do it just so I can face whatever judgments I have about them. That's the only reason I can think for hesitating....

I don't "need" a weave. I know how to properly care for one. I even think I could install it myself since I did a sew-in for someone else. I just WANT one, darnit. This has been bugging me for months.

I'd love this look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU96ON-ZUCg&feature=related

Anyone else itchin to enter new hair territory?

p1

Hi patient 1 ,,,,,
first off i want to say that I always enjoy reading your posts:yep: (im new btw)anywho.... I have been natural myself for eons( 11 years) and had my first weave last year..... kinda got turned out. years ago i would have never done it... because i kinda felt like.... i had a natural "roots" image to live up to and felt compelled to comply to those standards... i dod braids and twists but no weaves.one morning... i woke up... styled my frohawk.. and then decided.. i want a weave... lol.. called up a friend asked her for her stylists number and she tried to play off her shock... later on that afternoon ,,, i had my weave and realized that i liked it,... and that it really wasnt that serious... since then i have also tried wigs . there are pics of my weave on www.myspace.com/rebelstosh . i say that if you have the weave it... scratch it(or pat it)

oh yeah.. i think that a weave like that would look great on you !!

Hi patient 1 ,,,,,
first off i want to say that I always enjoy reading your posts:yep: (im new btw)anywho.... I have been natural myself for eons( 11 years) and had my first weave last year..... kinda got turned out. years ago i would have never done it... because i kinda felt like.... i had a natural "roots" image to live up to and felt compelled to comply to those standards... i dod braids and twists but no weaves.one morning... i woke up... styled my frohawk.. and then decided.. i want a weave... lol.. called up a friend asked her for her stylists number and she tried to play off her shock... later on that afternoon ,,, i had my weave and realized that i liked it,... and that it really wasnt that serious... since then i have also tried wigs . there are pics of my weave on www.myspace.com/rebelstosh . i say that if you have the weave it... scratch it(or pat it)

oh yeah.. i think that a weave like that would look great on you !!

Hey there! Thanks and welcome aboard! :)

I'm glad I popped in before bed so I could catch this post. I.Can.Relate.

Unfairly, I think braids and twist extensions get a "pass" but weaves/wigs don't. I've definitely caught wind of a stigma attached and I had to look within and figure out that I must've bought into it on some level. I admire wigs and weaves on other folks here and irl, but I always feel like it's not for me. I've been natural for a fricken long time too (since about '91) so I does tend to become part of your identity. When I flatironed my hair and rocked a bob for a week I felt a bit out of sorts but everyone was surprised and loved it.

Popping on a wig would be soooo much more convenient than keeping up braids and a weave would be a welcome change.

Thanks for checking in...I might just go for it! :grin:

p1

eta: Funny, I had the same issues with braids when I was in my 20's. It took a lot for me to go there and now it's no biggie...I even braid for myself and others. So maybe this is just more of the same....

I am also a weave/wig virgin. I have been thinking of getting a weave for awhile now myself but I am too chicken. The closest I have been is getting braids. I know that when I finally get brave enough to do a big chop I will be getting either a weave or braids till my hair is long enough for me to do it on my own.

No, I just can't bring myself to either :nono:, just not me. I do however where a ponytail maybe once a year on vacations, holds well without doing my hair everynight when I get back to the hotel :yep:. And most of the time I where french braids, pinned up in the back :grin:.

girl this board took my weave/wig virginity too :lachen:

i used to think that only women who didn't have hair "needed" weave and wigs, don't feel bad. many people outside of hairboards think like that. the lady at the BSS looked at me crazy when i bought a wig the other day, and she actually asked me if i was buying it for myself or as a gift to someone else. :lol: i said it was for me and she was like :perplexed "but WHY? you already have so much hair!" i told her it was because it's hard to keep my hair straightened in summer cuz it poofs easily and i figured a wig would be a quick way to change up my look. then she "sorta" got it but was still looking at me like :perplexed

but, thing is i'm not afraid for people to know my hair is fake. i mean i purposely make it look real cuz that's the look i'm going for, but i don't mind admitting my hair is fake. i guess because i know i'm not bald underneath and i don't care what people think about me wearing fake hair. :yep:

This is interesting because I just posted a thread about this last night. I want to wear an afro wig so bad, but I don't know if it'll look right. I've never worn a wig before and I have a feeling everyone would know it's a wig and I do have a problem with that. I think I'm still going to try it though because I can always just take it off lol. I'd say try a weave out and if you don't like it you don't ever have to do it again. And if you do like it..well you just found a new protective style :yep:

Hey there! Thanks and welcome aboard! :)

I'm glad I popped in before bed so I could catch this post. I.Can.Relate.

Unfairly, I think braids and twist extensions get a "pass" but weaves/wigs don't. I've definitely caught wind of a stigma attached and I had to look within and figure out that I must've bought into it on some level. I admire wigs and weaves on other folks here and irl, but I always feel like it's not for me. I've been natural for a fricken long time too (since about '91) so I does tend to become part of your identity. When I flatironed my hair and rocked a bob for a week I felt a bit out of sorts but everyone was surprised and loved it.

Popping on a wig would be soooo much more convenient than keeping up braids and a weave would be a welcome change.

same here... i do weaves and braids ... and when my people would get up from the chair i would think.... hmmm.. thats hot. but nooo... not me. the first time that i wore some cornrows(fake) i wanted them for a stage show...and the days leading up to the stageshow i wore a headwrap over the braids(so extra now that i think of it) When i got my first weave done and stepped out into the real world i was kinda looking around thinking that people would be looking at me with one eyebrow up... but hmm realized no one cared.... lol. Also.. if you are used to being natural ... you are used to having.... "different" hair. Having a weave i felt that i would "look like every other chic" but soon realized that i could be even more"eccentric" because the "normal" hair kinda hmm made me look more normal? u feel me ?

To kinda put one toe into the water i would suggest that you try that hair... with micros in the front.... still will look natural. but you will have your "secret" track in the back

Bless...
N. rebels

Yay, more feedback.

The ponytails are also on my list of can't do's but the UPA clip looks fabulous on a lot of folks here.

When I got my first set of braids I asked for them to be burnt at the ends and the braider left them loose and I was tooooo tired to argue. The next day I took hot scissors and cut to the braided spot because I didn't want to look like I was fronting with the straight ends.

Seems as much as we don't care what people think, there it still pops up.

I've been clean as kojak, worn twists, freeform fros, blowouts, knots, etc. with not a thought to what other folks thought (and they were straight out STARING when my head was clean:lachen:) but I balk at the weaves, wigs, and phony ponies.

I'm gonna get over myself and go for it in August. I'm going to take these Senegaleses out tonight and just wear my fro, twists, or bob for a minute and then I'm gonna get a sew-in. It's either that or treebraids....

p1

I've considered it, but I'm so danggone cheap! And if I hate it - which, I might - I'd hate feeling like I wasted all that money, ya know?

And I've yet to see a wig that looks 'real' enough to pass for me - but then, I'm not really looking for one, either.

I'm actually not a wig virgin, as I wore one for a day (I think) in college - I borrowed one of my soror's headband wigs for - something. And I felt silly, and like a fraud, the whole time.

Back