any tips for getting your roots straight

Inches411

okay well i washed and rollerset my hair today and all went well but my new growth seems to be growing really fast and i wanted to straightened my roots.. so i use a flat iron on my roots only and for some reason it didnt lay flat.. then i used a blowdryer with a brush on the roots. (i know alot of heat but i was just experimenting.. not something i will do often) anyway i just gave up my hair looks very nice with body but when i put my hand under my hair i felt a lot of new growth and i was kind upset cause i refuse to put the flat iron back in my head... im really mad because whenever i go to the dominican adn they blow out my roots and i feel under my hair it feels like i got a fresh perm. Im trying to figure out what I did wrong. If you guys can think of anything please let me know.Oh yea im about eight weeks post. my last relaxer was on january 1 .

you know what used to help me when i was relaxed and had ng... after washing my hair i'd put it in several braids, pulled slightly tight to help pull the roots straight. (not super-tight thought) it did seem to make a difference because i didn't have to work as hard to straighten the roots or put the flat iron too close to my head.

HTH :yep:

You should blow your roots our yourself. There is a video tutuorial of this on Macheriamour's website healthytextures.com

You should blow your roots our yourself. There is a video tutuorial of this on Macheriamour's website healthytextures.com

yea i saw that .. thats exactly what i did and it didnt work lol. I guess practice will make perfect cause i tell you when the dominicans do it you would think i got a fresh perm and i would be many weeks post a relaxer

you know what used to help me when i was relaxed and had ng... after washing my hair i'd put it in several braids, pulled slightly tight to help pull the roots straight. (not super-tight thought) it did seem to make a difference because i didn't have to work as hard to straighten the roots or put the flat iron too close to my head.

HTH :yep:

thanks will try.

Ditto this.
I use a small to medium size round brush with a metal barrel (for the straightest results). Hold the roots taut using the round brush and use the blow dryer with the concentrator attached aimed downward. As you practice you'll get the hang of it.

If you're wearing your hair up (ie. don't care about the bounce factor) you could also try a softening product like Kemi Oyl and tying your hair down.

When I relaxed my hair, between touch-ups I would part my wet hair into 2-4 sections and then gel my hair with brown hair gel. Once dried, my hair would be bone straight and flatironing wouldn't be needed. I used Pink moisturizer to soften my hair and brushed then combed it out and styled as usual. HTH:look:

When I relaxed my hair, between touch-ups I would part my wet hair into 2-4 sections and then gel my hair with brown hair gel. Once dried, my hair would be bone straight and flatironing wouldn't be needed. I used Pink moisturizer to soften my hair and brushed then combed it out and styled as usual. HTH:look:

Brown Gel and Pink moisturizer? That was a joke right? LOL:lachen: I see that smiley..LOL

I saw your 2 posts and got mighty scared for a sec.

When I'm stretching, I just rollerset my hair. That helps some with the ng. Other than that, I just embrace my ng and leave it alone because I know it's not going to lay like my relaxed hair. The Dominicans are the only one that has ever made my 10 ng feel like I have a perm and I've only done that once. Too much heat for me to have that done often. I'm relaxing on Sat and will be 14 1/2 post relaxer and I just rollerset and fingered it into a pin up.

Did you spray something on your roots to make them a little wet before blowdrying? U didn't mention that, if you didn't then try that next time, I know blowing out my roots with dry hair does nothing for me.

Brown gel and Pink moisturizer?? Doodoo in a jar and doodoo in a bottle?? Then once dried, you combed out???

MsHoney, please come back and say you're kidding. :lol: We have impressionable newbies. :lachen:

It works. If you don't like the products, don't use them. My hair was straight, soft and shiny when I did it and stayed that way until my next shampoo.

I read in some posts about French Perm Stabilizer Plus works. Don't know if it gets your roots straight. Gonna try it out soon, since I bought the first and last bottle at Sally's.

Back