Any suggestions on how to protect my hair from the thread in a sew in weave

BC2/4/06

I plan to get small braids around the perimeter of my hair and then get a sew in for the rest to give the illusion of a full head of braids but in a shorter time period.

My main concern is how to protect my natural hair from the thread. The last time I had a full sew in, the thread used to sew in the weave broke my hair. It wasnt sewn in too tightly, but I still had breakage as if the thread was cutting my hair.

My sister suggested I use a thicker thread. Is there a good thread out ther?

Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe I should ask her to sew the hair to a cap?

I'm open to suggestion! Thanks!

I don't think I've experienced breakage in the past from the thread coming into contact with my hair, but I have heard that it can cut into the hair. What I do now is attach a net to my cornrows, and then sew the tracks directly on to the net. Also, you can try placing the thread underneath the braid instead of sewing through the braid.

I just got a sew'n this pass weekend. The lady who did my hair inquired if I was natural or not and I told her I only had 1 relaxer since being natural (that was back in may) and I texturized the hair. She then went on to tell me, that my hair was healthy and in a perfect state to get a sew'n. She then said Relaxed/Fine hair can get cut by the thread but I should have no problem because my hair is not thin. She had a friend there w/ her and the friend agreed FRESH relaxed hair shouldnt get a sew'n because the thread CAN cut your hair

The thread can definitely be a problem for some people's hair, especially if it's dry or fine or the thread is sewn in too tight. When I do my own hair I put castor oil on my thread. If you've already had a problem I think getting a net weave is the best choice.

Is there only one kind of sew in thread? Something that is healthier for the hair?

Also I love the idea of telling her to place the thread underneath the cornrow, though I'm not sure how this would work with vertical cornrows.

I'm due to have my fourth baby in about six weeks and I'm looking for a protective style that will truly protect that I can wear for the next year.

I dont want to suffer a setback while I'm focusing on health and growth.

Any other suggestions?

Even though I'm 4b natural my hair seems to break if I don't take excellent care of it.

Thanks!

Back