Any relaxed ladies wearing staight hair out everday and still retaining length???

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
ok, SO im thinking that i really dont need to protective style.......anymore :look:

cuz ive been wearing my hair out everyday with no problem. :rolleyes:

then i found this YouTube - My Hair Growth Secret :look:

my hair is not dry due to moisturizing and sealing everyday.... would these curls be

considered protective styling since my ends are kinda tucked in?? I NEED TO KNOW:rolleyes:

CIMG3154-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I am relaxed and have always had long healthy hair. I just started transitioning in June, but I have always worn my hair down. It has always been my signature look...lol. I don't think everyone has to protective style to retain length. The only thing I would do is wrap my hair nightly before bed, and sometimes I would just put it in a loose ponytail if I was too tired to wrap it. Other than that, my hair has been down 98 percent of the time throughout my relaxed experience.Try going a while without PS your hair and see how your hair does. It might be okay for you to wear your hair down more often...

I am relaxed and have always had long healthy hair. I just started transitioning in June, but I have always worn my hair down. It has always been my signature look...lol. I don't think everyone has to protective style to retain length. The only thing I would do is wrap my hair nightly before bed, and sometimes I would just put it in a loose ponytail if I was too tired to wrap it. Other than that, my hair has been down 98 percent of the time throughout my relaxed experience.Try going a while without PS your hair and see how your hair does. It might be okay for you to wear your hair down more often...

::woot::bouncy: THANKS!! you have very beautiful hair!

hi OP i just looked @ ur fotki. any particular reason u cut ur hair? is your hair still healthy & strong now that u r relaxed or r u having more problems/breakage w/ the relaxed hair?

to answer ur original question: i would b afraid 2 wear my hair out EVERY day like i used to but maybe 2-3 days out of the week is okay & the rest of the time u can bun or ps for convenience.

hi OP i just looked @ ur fotki. any particular reason u cut ur hair? is your hair still healthy & strong now that u r relaxed or r u having more problems/breakage w/ the relaxed hair?

to answer ur original question: i would b afraid 2 wear my hair out EVERY day like i used to but maybe 2-3 days out of the week is okay & the rest of the time u can bun or ps for convenience.

hi, thanks! i cut my hair because it was too long for me to keep the knots and tangles out.

i don't protect style very often and don't have problems retaining length. i do make sure that i wrap at night and keep my hair moisturized. i use a protein treatment as needed, deep condition regularly and limit heat usage to wash days. although if i'm deep in a stretch, i will use it more frequently. i think those steps are much more important than protect styling in my experience.

i don't protect style very often and don't have problems retaining length. i do make sure that i wrap at night and keep my hair moisturized. i use a protein treatment as needed, deep condition regularly and limit heat usage to wash days. although if i'm deep in a stretch, i will use it more frequently. i think those steps are much more important than protect styling in my experience.

thank you!!! my hair is doing just fine by me blow drying it straight once a week after washing it.

My hair is doing fine wearing it down everyday. I think as long as you keep your moisture level in check, you'll be just fine.

I do. My longest was MBL and in around January or December I cut my hair a little past SL and its already about BSL again. Oils tore my hair up but I think serum protects my ends. Since I Went back to using serum my hair has retained a lot of length again. I also flat iron weekly.

I do. My longest was MBL and in around January or December I cut my hair a little past SL and its already about BSL again. Oils tore my hair up but I think serum protects my ends. Since I Went back to using serum my hair has retained a lot of length again. I also flat iron weekly.

What type of serum are you using?

I don't have extremely long hair, I'm a little past nl but since going to the hair salon wkly and them blowing it out for me I've retained a good inch to inch and half in the past 7 or 8 wks since I've started going back to them and I wear my hair out almost everyday. I just put some argan oil from sallys on my ends and i'm good to go.

Great topic Adora! I am relaxed and wear my hair out the majority of the time and have been retaining length. However I do think I would retain MORE if I PS'd more regularly. However....for me I've just enjoyed the journey from NL to APL and I am willing to reach my goals more slowly in exchange for wearing my hair however I want....down and out! I will add that I don't use direct heat though.

My hair is doing fine wearing it down everyday. I think as long as you keep your moisture level in check, you'll be just fine.

:yep::yep::yep:

I wear my hair out everyday and I retain just fine. I moisturize, seal, & wrap every night.

I'm relaxed & wear my hair out all the time while out of the house. I wrap it up at night or if I'm lounging at home. I seem to be retaining and achieving length....we shall see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear my hair out most of the time in a braid out. I recently attempted a braid out bun. FAIL!! So, back to the braid out I went!

Sylver2 has very long hair and she never protective styles.

Sylver2 wore her hair out all the time and retained a lot of length with braid outs. There are others as well can't remember them now though. It can be done it seems.

I wear my hair out everyday. I just pin curl or put some flex rods in at night. I do moisturize everyday and apply JBCO.

I'll add myself to the list as one that wears their hair out everyday. I would say that aprox 2 -3 weeks prior to when it's time for me to relax I start co washing 2-3 times a week and wearing my hair in a bun to minimize the manipulation

What kind of moisturizer are you using on the hair and how much? I bun everyday now and put a lot of moisturizer on but know that would be wayyyyyy too much to wear my hair down.

I just really focus on creating a good wash routine that really supports my hair's strength and moisture throughout the week. I also realized that a lot of the inches I was loosing was not due directly with wearing my hair down but had to do more with my constant touching and messing with it. Now that I'm adapting my behaviors, I know I'll be able to retain even more length going forward.

this is a great thread!!! i was wondering if anyone was having any luck with this... I think once i get me some sabino ill be wearing my hair out, it compliments me so much more then this bun i have been wearing my whole life.

I'm testing this theory now. Last year I retained tremendous growth doing low mani/ps styles...so far I've been wearing my hair down for almost 15 weeks (when I'm in the house it's clipped up). I'll know when I relax in two months; although I haven't noticed more breakage...I am getting more split ends so I dust more frequently...we'll see

Back