Any Navy Ladies Here??? Even Marine and Army Mama's!

BronxMyth

When I graduate college next year, I plan to join the Navy. I want to know how do you manage to take care of your hair, while on active duty. TIA!!!

I am not Military but I am a military spouse. I think the military is perfect for woman wanting you grow their hair. You have to keep your hair off your collar so I notice a lot of woman either wear short haired wigs, or they keep their hair in protective styles.

Well I'm a navy veteran.....when I went to bootcamp, I had to cut my hair, but it was shoulder length before I cut it, I cut it into a tiny afro....(which I did loved) It was basically I BC cuz I was relaxed.....women have to cut their hair in bootcamp....cuz the Navy believed it took up too much time. The marines and army are different the women didn't have to cut their hair. But my when my hair started growing, I kept it in a curly fro, and when I relaxed again, I was able to wear a bun.....so you can either let them cut your hair(which they do a horrible job) and let it grow out until you can bun it, or put in a weave (sew in) and let them cut that and when you finish bootcamp take out the sew in weave and wear your real hair. They don't go through your hair like stylists do, they just cut straight across(your hair has to be off your shoulders or off your collar of your uniform). But this was when I went in (2004) so they might have changed the policies now....but as far as I know the NAVY CUTS YOUR HAIR.

Navy girl here and if your hair is longer than your collar, then you have to wear a bun (or braids). As for me, this past year, I've just been keeping it braided up underneath a wig.

For bootcamp, they will cut your hair, so if your hair is long, please get like a sew in weave that can last you for two months. The only thing they'll do is cut that. after bootcamp, you are free to grow your hair all you want.

Last edited:
I'm Army here, and if your hair falls below your collar you have to bun it too. I cut my hair during my first year to my chin (September)and by December it was back to my collar. I cut it again and then let it grow out and now I just bun. Bunning has really helped, especially since finding LHCF. I used to practice bad hair habits and straighten my hair every weekend (no heat protectant) trying to look cute, but now I know better and I just deal with it. If I want to look cute on the weekends, I throw my hair in a pony tail or if time permits, I do a braid out for the weekend.

Army Dis. Vet. here, I wore my hair in a bun the whole time during Basic and AIT. Marine spouse, I see alot of buns, wigs, and braids.

I'm an Air Force chick. I think it's been a very great thing that I'm active duty bc I absolutely have to wear my hair in a protective style 5 days a week. Your hair is not allowed to come past the collar. So I just clip it up. I don't know how it is for officers though. You said you were graduating from college and then joining the Navy. I have no idea what officers have to go through. I'm enlisted and basic was hell. It's great to see black officers btw.

I am a AA officer with prior enlisted time. I think it was def easier as an officer to keep my hair cute and off the collar during basic course. Like one lady said basic was HELL:) Anyway as an officer you will have to go through Officer Basic Course and it is nothing like basic training or Advanced Individual Training (AIT). You get the weekends pretty much to yourself. So you are able to Wash, DC and protective style for the week. BTW I am a medical service corps officer so I am not sure about other branches personally. I have a few girlfriends in different branches and they all report the same type of training. Good Luck

Winona

OK, thank you ladies! So from what I've read, I'll keep it bunned. I can't cornrow for the life of me! God bless.

I was a MP in the AF!!!!

Whoooora!

I was relaxed in the AF....

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT attempt the syle in my siggy in the AF :rofl:

.....at least not on base during work hours :look:

Last edited:
I am currently in the Navy in the Middle East. when you get sent overseas, which you will, the water is certainly counter-productive. The only products sold on base (or anywhere in the MidEast rather) is the usual Motions, Suave, HE, and PM. You basically order everything online. Same applies to when you are on a ship away from home for 8 months. The ship store has pretty much NOTHING. There are no hood dryers on the ship. Barely any outlets for electrical appliances and you have to wash with ship water (as bad as overseas water). As for the bunning, they expect it to be slick back tight -- meaning gel gel gel and more gel. It's terrible on hair which is why I french braid. Also, it's 100 degrees on the ship and your hair will sweat and frizz and everything in between. For practice, spend the next 8 months wearing a tight ball cap everywhere you go and see how much of a nuisance it is. for more info, PM me. HTH!

a bit off topic but how come they make you cut your hair?
NVM.. I asked my BF (whos in the army, and on his lunch break[Over in Afghanistan]) Said for health issues that germs and bacteria live in hair, and its in close quarters.. i guess that sounds logical .....?

s0o0 happy about this thread bec i am planning on going Air Force.. eventho i live in a Navy town.. and i was wondering since im on a HHj now what i was gonna do with my crop... now im sure i'll get braids and bun those muthas up bec i dont want lack of time to ruin my progress so far... Thanks Ladies!!

Just curious. Are there any perspectives from women who went to basic as a type 4 natural apl or longer. I am not trying to rock rough and stuff with my afro puff, or anything. I just know that blending in a weave is a lot easier on relaxed than it is on natural hair. Even when my hair is tightly braided with no hair added it's very thick...with hair added ...it's even thicker. Nice tips(I like the weave plan) I am just wondering what everyone was working with that led to their hair solutions.

I was SL natural when I went to basic. I had cornrows the first week but they got fuzzy quick. The easiest way for me to work with my hair was to wash/rinse at night when we took our shower and then wet bun. I didn't know about sealing in moisture then so my advice is to bring enough moisturizer to last the whole time you are there but mix in some oil before you leave, or bring a heavy water based moisturizer like ORS Olive Oil Lotion.

They made every single woman take out their sew-ins and get their hair cut when I went through. That was late 2003 - early 2004. I had relaxed APL hair and I got a sew in and cut the part left out to the same length as the weave. My recruiter told me to do that. Apparently so did several other girls' recruiters. Didn't matter because we all had to take it out.

One more piece of advice...make sure you know the regs regarding dress and appearance forward and backward. Some people like to be butt holes and call Afro hair "faddish" but won't give the white woman with unnatural highlights a second look.

They made every single woman take out their sew-ins and get their hair cut when I went through. That was late 2003 - early 2004. I had relaxed APL hair and I got a sew in and cut the part left out to the same length as the weave. My recruiter told me to do that. Apparently so did several other girls' recruiters. Didn't matter because we all had to take it out.

omg! thats scary as heck. i don't wanna cut anything and i know i will be apl by the time i decide to go back to my recruiter. :sad:

Things have changed so much over the years, but can family/friends still send y'all stuff? I've been really thinking we ought to have a thread somewhere just to arrange getting you military ladies products.

Things have changed so much over the years, but can family/friends still send y'all stuff? I've been really thinking we ought to have a thread somewhere just to arrange getting you military ladies products.

If we're talking during basic training then yes, but keep in mind it has to be opened in front of the instructor. I don't remember any girl in our flight being sent anything outrageous though.

Back