Any naturals that have thinning edges and breakage too?

kgard7777

I wanted to know if thinning edges and short pieces throughout our hair is due to chemicals or not. So are their any naturals that have the same issues? If not I am going natural :) for I am tired of breakage...

Thininig edges are often due to tension placed on that area. Your hairstyles may be pulled back to tighttly. That may be the reason why you are experiencing breakage in that area.

I can speak about my experience. I don't have the short sections anymore in my head.

I do notice that edges seems to be the weakest spot on the head for most whether you are relaxed or natural.

For natural ladies the main culprit to thinning edges is handling them roughly for relaxed ladies who have issues with edges it seems the chemical is too strong for that area, Could be other reasons but these are the ones I have read that seem to be the most common reasons.

I no longer place single braids or twists on my front edges and I watch the tension of the hair styles I create in that area. I am more careful with this area now. Not sure if this area is like that due to my years of relaxers, ponytails or what but I am seeing better length natural than when I was relaxed.

Now to be honest I was not as educated about relaxers since becoming a member of LHCF, but I know my hair, I like the natural journey better and my edges have really thrived going this route.

HTH

I have a stress spot. I had it as a permie and every once in a while it reappears since i have been natural. No problems with the rest of my hair and that area is still thick.

nope. I used to have breakage all along the edges of my hair as a relaxed gal, but since going natural that has all grown back very well. I agree with the other ladies though. It might be the way your wearing your hair. Too much stress on the edges with tight pulled back styles or tight braids or twists can cause breakage.

I had a lot of breakage as a natural - but I was wearing tiny dreads, and they strained the hair around my temples just as much as microbraids would. Since I've taken them out, the hair is starting to fill back in - it's a slow process, but it's DEFINITELY getting better, and not worse.

There are a couple of hairstyles I still won't wear because they put too much stress on my hairline - be gentle with it, and it will be good to you.

I don't have either as a natural. I never had a problem with my edges even when I was relaxed. But I did have a lot of breakage throughout my head from over-processing. I think the fact that I have fine hair had a lot to do with that though.

I had alot of breakage on my edges from wearing weaves and I am STILL trying to get them back. They have beenpretty thin all my life but now its like WOWZERS! I am applying Jamaican Castor Oil and my MN mix in hopes of getting some kind of hair up there so I don't look like I have the longest fo-head this side of Tyra:lachen:

Back