Any Naturals still using "grease"?

Cindy70

Any Naturals still using \"grease\"?

Just curious. I suppose that I'm a 4a. I've only been a natural for a month and have basically only been using oils to moisturize my hair, but now I think that I need something heavier. I think that I might be experiencing that scab hair thing because my hair texture is really rough right now. I went back to using Blue Magic today and my hair feels so much softer and is shinier. Just wanted to know if any other naturals are using "grease" too.

Re: Any Naturals still using \"grease\"?

I've tried grease but I find that Profectiv breakfree and Elasta qp mango butter are so far the best products I have come across to soften my hair, especially my ends which can get a little rough.

I've been thinking about trying the Elasta QP mango butter but I don't like that it contains alcohol. Do you use the mango butter daily and is it good for use on damp hair?

When I first stopped using grease I started using profectiv megagrowth which i liked.

And These are the ingredients of QP mango butter

Purified Water Aqua , Squalane Olive Oil Derived , Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride Coconut Oil Derived , PEG-75 Lanolin , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Hexadecanol , Cetearyl Alcohol , Ceterareth-20 , Dimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Mangifera Indica Seed Butter Mango , Theobroma Cocoa Seed Butter Cocoa , Hydrolyzed Silk , Serica , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Butylparaben , Fragrance , FD&C Yellow No. 5 CI 19140

Ceteryl Alcohol is good
smile.gif
Check your conditioners they probably contain this ingredient.

what I found works is moisurizers. somehting that contains water will MOISTURIZE your hair. I found that grease just sat on my hair and made it feel greasy. thats the difference to MOISTURIZED hair and greasy hair. oils may not help your hair feel moisturized. you might need to find leave in conditioners that contain water.

You may have noticed the emphasis to moisture in my post. This is vital for afro hair. moisturized hair is healthy hair. remember that petroleum and mineral oil based products cote the hair shaft and block moisture getting in or out of the hair so thats why your hair maybe feeling rough and dry.
sorry for the long post but i went through the same thing.
hth

I apply grease to wet hair for moisture. I am currently using Wonder Gro because it contains a lot of herbs and oils.

It doesn't work for me anymore. If I where to use something (like Sulfur 8 or WGO) I'd have to apply it the day before washing. It just attracts dust and dirt, make my hair stick together.

I still use grease. after i wash my hair i comb a small amount through while my hair has water running on it. it keeps my hair soft and managable after a wash. I am at the point were i want to try something new. I think i am going to try pure Aloe Vera Butter and Avocado Butter to replace grease. I am also thinking about trying Aloe Vera Oil, Avocado Oil and Aprocot Seed oil.

I don't use grease or heavy pomades. I've tried it on dry and wet hair with the same results. My hair looks good when I first put it on, but within a few hours it gets dull, dry and hard. And it makes my hair clump together.
frown.gif
I prefer oils in liquid form (Carolyn Gray's HHIB, Kelechi Hair Oil, Dabur Lite Amla Oil) or pomades that melt on contact (Earthly Delight Growth Stimulating Pomade and Natural Island Hair & Scalp Nutrient).

I bought the ORS carrot oil. I used my sister's over the weekend to moisturize my hair and I liked it. I am taking out my braids this weekend so I will use it to make my twists.

I still use grease, BB, frenchee, S8,Softee, it can be heavy, but I dont apply too much

I use grease only on the ends of my hair to seal in moisture. I also like the profectiv break free and mega growth.

Shea butter, shea butter works for me...
Shea butter, shea butter try it you'll see.
I makes my naps so soft and strong
Try shea butter you cant go wrong

Just had to share a little shea butter poetry..

I'm going back to the grease but only for my scalp because it's dry and as i recall that's the only thing that worked as a child

I cant help it...If I could fill a bathtub with it and take a bath in it I would (I already know about the shower gels with shea butter added...I AM ON IT!!!)

I love it cause it is lighter than grease...yet heavier than a lotion and it makes your hair soooooooooo soft!

Cant get enough of the stuff!

Yeah pookeylou is right! Shea Butter is REALLY good. In fact I'm ordering some from nasabb.com today. I used to put it on my ends while deep conditioning.

Preach on sister, preach on! I just sent Cindy a PM telling her that before she picks anything up, to have a word with you. Coz you've been there, done that and are now the ish sporting Shea butter baby-soft curls thinking you're cute.
tongue.gif
Plus I was afraid you might knock her upside the head with your Surge bottle if she touched grease before talking to you first. J/K
grin.gif

I dont want to have to hurt anybody...just get the shea butter and you wont have any issues from me!

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif

Do you use shea butter on your wet hair, or wait until it is dry?

[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely use it on damp hair.

I condition wash, thoroughly rinse...then section my hair for two strand twist. I add a touch of shea butter to each twist (I was very heavy handed when I first started using it...now I understand that a little goes a long way)

Then I put the two strand twist into a bantu knot. I finger comb it out the next day and wear a curly fro. It's softer than a baby's hair I tell ya!

The only grease I use on my scalp is "Glovers Medicated Ointment" Maybe twice on month. My hair just loves it I don't use it more often because of the petroleum jelly. It has 5% sulfur in it and we all know that hair loves sulfur.

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely use it on damp hair.

I condition wash, thoroughly rinse...then section my hair for two strand twist. I add a touch of shea butter to each twist (I was very heavy handed when I first started using it...now I understand that a little goes a long way)

Then I put the two strand twist into a bantu knot. I finger comb it out the next day and wear a curly fro. It's softer than a baby's hair I tell ya!

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
I like your poem Pookeylou! I have tried Shea butter and it works great except on my ends. It just doesn't seem to penetrate. That's where the mango butter and profectiv breakfree come in handy. But I am still a fan of the shea butter.

Nope. No more grease. Like Sassygirl, I prefer liquid oils. I like coconut oil, even though it's solid, because it melts on contact.

I have a feeling I'll be jumping on the shea butter bandwagon soon. I've read so many good reviews about it!

Thanks for all of the responses, ladies. As for using shea butter, I've tried it before but I started getting really painful bumps on my scalp and had to wash it out after a couple of days. I tried it more than once and my scalp had the same reaction.
frown.gif
Sadly, shea butter isn't for me but I'm glad that it's working for everyone else.

I just started using Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil again and that seems to be working for me right now. It doesn't contain any mineral oil in it.

I mix castor oil, mixed with Aveda brilliant and sulphur hair conditioner, mixed with glycerin and aloe vera gel. It seems to work for me.

Grease doesnt been working for me so I stick to homemade shea butter pomade. It soaks in everything else just sits on my hair and makes it hard. I just tried mimosa hair honey again and it didnt work out at all.

ORS Olive oil moisturizer is good. Water is the first ingredient, and it has not mineral oil or petroleum jelly. Sometime oils don't moisturize enough and I need a cream so this does the job!

[ QUOTE ]
Cindy70 said:
Thanks for all of the responses, ladies. As for using shea butter, I've tried it before but I started getting really painful bumps on my scalp and had to wash it out after a couple of days. I tried it more than once and my scalp had the same reaction.
frown.gif
Sadly, shea butter isn't for me but I'm glad that it's working for everyone else.

I just started using Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil again and that seems to be working for me right now. It doesn't contain any mineral oil in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cindy70: May I ask what brand of Shea Butter you used? Because all Shea Butters are not produced the same. Some companies add other ingredients to their SB (i.e. cocoa butter, wax and etc) that aren't necessary if the SB was extracted using the right process.

[ QUOTE ]
jaibee said:
ORS Olive oil moisturizer is good. Water is the first ingredient, and it has not mineral oil or petroleum jelly. Sometime oils don't moisturize enough and I need a cream so this does the job!

[/ QUOTE ]

This by far one of my favorite moisturizers!

Back