Any naturals not straighten their own hair??

danigurl18

Maybe I'm the only one, but I can't do it. I never could straighten it when I was relaxed and now that I am trying to do my own hair, I still can't do it. No matter how much I detangle, the ends have knots and look like crap. :nono: From now on, I'm getting it professionally done. Anyone else out there??:look:

I am not that great. I am getting better with practice. But in this recession, I better get great! lol! Keep trying.

One time I did an excellent job. I took my time and didn;t add a lot of products. The salon gets my hair perm straight though.:look:

Keep heart - practice makes perfect. I felt exactly like you but I kept at it, kept at it, and eventually it paid off. Mine used to look so bad, lol! Now I am happy with the result.

I can't get my hair straight either with an iron. I figure its because I have a cheapie flat iron. So I stopped trying to straighten it. I might try it again in a couple of months. But when I tried, my ends looked horrible and my hair wasn't really straight in any sense of the word, it was just flattened.

I've always straightened my own hair, but I have trouble using a regular flat iron if my hair is not already pre-stretched (via rollerset, blow-out, etc). The ends do not get straight easily

When I use the maxiglide, I always end up with perfectly straight hair down to the very ends, even when my hair isn't already stretched

I am the only one who puts heat in my hair, after a bad experience (non-reversion) in June 2008. I don't do it that often. I am ready to get a better flat iron, just not sure which one. I think this will make my attempts at using heat look much better.

I have to say that at this point, I am quite terrified of allowing a "Professional Stylist" in my hair.

So only I do the straightening...

I go to a salon as well, i'm hoping to perfect my skills soon - i'm buying a quality flat iron, i just bought an 1875 watt blow dryer and i'm gonna purchase a salon dryer. I've been discouraged with every attempt so far.but i'm getting optimistic..

I can't get my hair straight either, like not even at all. I don't trust anyone to straighten my hair though, so I've just given up on straightening for now. The next time I try to straighten, I will use Sabino Moisture Block though.

A ceramic flat iron is the best to get it straight. I've tried the others and they just don't work. I got a cheap fake chi at Sally's it's sally's brand name but it gets the job done. I apply sabino to protect before straightening. Then do the chase the comb method and that should keep your ends looking good. Unless your ends need a trim from all the knots, then even a salon won't help. (And trust I wouldn't suggest that. I don't trim my hair but once a year and I dust otherwise). So access and make sure you don't have too many knots for a smooth finish. Although, I have gone to a salon. When I was in california I went ever 2 weeks and had my hair pressed. Her name was carla. She was wonderful and she's the only one I would trust to do this. So I haven't found anyone that trustworthy yet in NY, so I just do my own when I want it straightened.

Yelp I have never straighten my hair by myself! I love my hair and will not even try because of possible damage. I think it has to do with those nightmares i have had of my hair not returning to it's natural state(LOL) My hair has only been flat iron three times in 5 years. Twice by my hair stylist in the N.O. and once by Robin the FLAT IRON GURU of ILOVEGROOVE.com. Both times my hair immediately went back to it's natural state:grin:

I have been natural for 11 years and I have not straightened my hair. I haven't used any type of heat, direct or in direct.

I haven't tried yet. I've had it straightened once since being natural and I went to the salon to get that done. My thing is it was hard for me to get it straight while I was transitioning so, it has to be impossible with a whole head of natural hair. It took my stylist 3 hours to straighten it. If I did that myself...it would take even longer. I'd probably be sweating and then end up mad because I sweated my hair out before I even got done...I'm good for now. Can't do it on my own...

I truly believe that you can become a DIY'er when comes to learning how to get relaxer-straight results with heat.
You have to use the right products for your hair, your ends have to stay in A+ condition so they will lay flat, and you must develop excellent technique.
And reversion can be kept to a bare minimum if you are using the correct products in the correct order. If you are sweating out your press as you are straightening your hair, then that's not a hair issue. Something else is going on with your body.
There is new weblog coming out "kissmyhair.com which will be dedicated to growing and maintaining long, natural, heat-straightened hair.

I truly believe that you can become a DIY'er when comes to learning how to get relaxer-straight results with heat.
You have to use the right products for your hair, your ends have to stay in A+ condition so they will lay flat, and you must develop excellent technique.
And reversion can be kept to a bare minimum if you are using the correct products in the correct order. If you are sweating out your press as you are straightening your hair, then that's not a hair issue. Something else is going on with your body.
There is new weblog coming out "kissmyhair.com which will be dedicated to growing and maintaining long, natural, heat-straightened hair.

Oh So True Pink!!!!

:kiss:
It is me sj.....:yep:

that was me last year couldn't straighten for jack.
the right product and technique and BAM silky relaxer straight hair. when i use to try may hair would judt be one big fluffy ball
you will learn it takes time and some people master it sooner than others.
i've gotten so good i do my sisters hair.
keep on trying and you will figure out what get it straight

I am totally frustrated with my hair. When I go to salon, its beautiful, looks like a perm. When I do it myself it looks like salon blow dried. Thats after I straighten, so most times I just was and bun. Really considering perm...

When I started it was really difficult, I would break my hair and all sorts....but the only lady I trust to do my hair is a city away....but the trip is well worth the travel. I have now tried several times to do it myself and have got better. So dont give up.

I don't straighten my own hair. I'm tenderheaded so I can never comb it out well enough to look good. The stylists tend not to care if it hurts so it always looks great. xD

Anytime I've ever straightened it, it was poofy and NOT cute. :nono:

I haven't had it straightened since April of last year but when I decide to straighten again, I am definitely going to the salon. My stylist does a fabulous job and I'd rather avoid frustration by doing it myself.

Back