Any Long-Term Transitioners, quick question for you.

MummysGirl

Hi Ladies,
I am currently 4 months into my transition and plan to transition for at least a year.
My question is: did anyone transition without having to do:
1. Weaves
2. Braids or Twists with extensions
3. Wigs/Half-Wigs
4. Anything but their own hair
5. Flat Ironing
?

I would love some input from ladies who were able to do so... Thanks In Advance.

P.S. This also applies to long term relaxer stretchers :-)

i am 57 weeks post. no wigs, weaves, extensions, etc. just me and my hair in multiple bun formations. it started off with braid outs, and then that started to look crazy and buns changed my life. smooth sailing now.

Co-sign on the bun love. I transitioned for 18 months by wearing buns almost daily.

I would also like some advice on this. I'm nearing 8 months post relaxer and I am struggling! I'm planning on transitioning over 2 years but I've never had a weave, braids, or worn a wing.

Thus far, I have been doing braidouts and bantu knots outs. I've only flat ironed my hair 4 times since my last relaxer and for the summer, I don't plan on using heat at all. But I definitely need some advice on how to continue with this!

I did not use braids or weaves per se. i did use individual hairlocs extensions - but that was purely for styling/asthetic reasons - i didnt NEED them, i just wanted long extensions. i really HATE to have anything in my hair in the way of my scalp and the hairlocs left me access to my head while still giving me long hair (unlike a weave that i find hard to get around to scrach my head).

I have no patience for braids, and didnt want my hair ripped out - plus i wont wear them for work so i didnt use them at all.

i did use half wigs -but again - that was for styling and to achieve a look.

The flatiron - not more than usual - only when i felt like doing my hair professionally to feel 'pretty'.

I mostly slicked it back into a bun. At first the new growth grows up and ur hair feels puffy - But once the ng gets passed ear length or so it starts being pulled down a bit more and you learn what products work at taming it (if that what you wish to do).

How long is ur hair?

Last edited:
Oooh thanks TaraDyan and BHC!
Yay!!! I'm soooo happy right now because I want to stay away from all the things I mentioned above.

Will I be good with my current regime? - cowashing Tue, Thurs and Sat/Sun, DC 2ce a week, shampoo wash every 2 weeks, only detangle/comb when saturated in conditioner, moisturise daily, hair is always pinned up, even when I do braidouts.

I really appreciate your input!

Last edited:
Thank you :-)

I got a major trim/cut in December from APL to where I am now - My hair is a little longer than SL at the moment. My NG is about 1.5 inches stretched.

I did not use braids or weaves per se. i did use individual hairlocs extensions - but that was purely for styling/asthetic reasons - i didnt NEED them, i just wanted long extensions. i really HATE to have anything in my hair in the way of my scalp and the hairlocs left me access to my head while still giving me long hair (unlike a weave that i find hard to get around to scrach my head).
I have no patience for braids, and didnt want my hair ripped out - plus i wont wear them for work so i didnt use them at all. i did use half wigs -but again - that was for styling and to achieve a look. The flatiron - not more than usual - only when i felt like doing my hair professionally to feel 'pretty'.
I mostly slicked it back into a bun. At first the new growth grows up and ur hair feels puffy - But once the ng gets passed ear length or so it starts being pulled down a bit more and you learn what products work at taming it (if that what you wish to do).

How long is ur hair?

8 months? Well done! I'll be so excited when I'm at the point you are! Hopefully you'll get some answers in this thread :-)

I have worn braids, only one weave ever and a half wig - all years ago but I don't want to again. I am not a fan and neither is my hair so I need all the help I can get.

I would also like some advice on this. I'm nearing 8 months post relaxer and I am struggling! I'm planning on transitioning over 2 years but I've never had a weave, braids, or worn a wing.

Thus far, I have been doing braidouts and bantu knots outs. I've only flat ironed my hair 4 times since my last relaxer and for the summer, I don't plan on using heat at all. But I definitely need some advice on how to continue with this!

I transitioned for 15 months and wore braids for only 2 weeks out of that time. And I flatironed once.

I wore braidouts, twistouts, bantu-knots, perm rod ponytails, single braids (with my own hair) and buns for the rest of the time. Word of advice though, and I dont know if this applies to everyone..but for me the frequent bunning made the hair in front area of my head straighter. I had no thinning or breakage or anything like that..but the texture is "trained" I guess, to be straight.The hair is starting to get some texture slowly but Im just saying if you go the bunning route just make sure to switch it up sometimes.

I did a lot of night time cowashing and would just braid/twist/bantu knot the hair and my hair would be ready in the morning..

Good luck on your transition. :)

Yay!!! I'm soooo happy right now because I want to stay away from all the things I mentioned above.

Will I be good with my current regime? - cowashing Tue, Thurs and Sat/Sun, DC 2ce a week, shampoo wash every 2 weeks, only detangle/comb when saturated in conditioner, moisturise daily, hair is always pinned up, even when I do braidouts.

Oh yeah I would do this too sometimes. Just do one french braid, moisturize, seal, and tuck the "tail" under. Slap a headband on and that was it.

Your regimen sounds like a winner to me. Just make sure you get those protein treatments in as needed. You don't want your hair to get mushy from being overmoisturized.

Thank you! I try to avoid bunning because of my already thin hairline, I just pin up my hair and then slap on my hairband :-)

I really appreciate the input so far, it's very encouraging.

I transitioned for 15 months and wore braids for only 2 weeks out of that time. And I flatironed once.

I wore braidouts, twistouts, bantu-knots, perm rod ponytails, single braids (with my own hair) and buns for the rest of the time. Word of advice though, and I dont know if this applies to everyone..but for me the frequent bunning made the hair in front area of my head straighter. I had no thinning or breakage or anything like that..but the texture is "trained" I guess, to be straight.The hair is starting to get some texture slowly but Im just saying if you go the bunning route just make sure to switch it up sometimes.

I did a lot of night time cowashing and would just braid/twist/bantu knot the hair and my hair would be ready in the morning..

Good luck on your transition. :)

Oh yeah, thanks for that TaraDyan.

I cowash once a week with a light protein, and the other 2 times with a moisturising con. I try (but sometimes forget until my hair DEMANDS it, lol) to do protein treatments every 4-6 weeks. My DC is ORS Replenishing Conditioner which is a light protein but more of a moisturising con, IMO.

I had overmoisturised hair from my moisturising conditioner only cowashes a few weeks back and I didn't like the feeling at all.

Thanks again :-)

Your regimen sounds like a winner to me. Just make sure you get those protein treatments in as needed. You don't want your hair to get mushy from being overmoisturized.

Great thread, Mummy Girl I'm transitioning too at 6 months now and looking for the simple transition method.

I cut my relazed hair into a short cut. The nape was actually natural and the front relaxed with new growth. I styled my hair shor hair with roller sets. Then I did this slick back look with a middle part and pinned the ends at the nape with bobby pins....so I had a tail LOL. (It was actually kind of cute.) I did that until I had enough hair for a pony tail holder. Next curly pony until I had enough hair for a small bun. That was a rough stage. I still did roller sets from time to time. Then after 13 months BC.

No direct heat. No phony hair. No twists/braids.

17 months post and none of that. I've flat ironed a few times, but that's it. I'm a bun lover as well. I also do twist outs. That's about it, just get creative w/the buns and KIM.

I do a braid out and then wear it until it starts to get real big (~3-4 days) and then put in a low, side or top bun for the other 3-4 days and then do all over. I wash once a week-

Thanks so much ladies :-)
I love braidouts and I am going to try out twistouts soon.
I keep buying hairbands because I pin up my hair 95% of the time, I have so many now! Lol!

17 months post and none of that. I've flat ironed a few times, but that's it. I'm a bun lover as well. I also do twist outs. That's about it, just get creative w/the buns and KIM.

I only used my hair. i did a lot of braidouts. Hope that helps :)

I do a braid out and then wear it until it starts to get real big (~3-4 days) and then put in a low, side or top bun for the other 3-4 days and then do all over. I wash once a week-

Wow!
You guys make mefeel real lazy...
LOL.
Well I'm transitioning
and so far I had kinky twists,
African twists, and now braids.
Since I am an active college student
I'm always on the go.. and these styles
really help me out.
I do a deep condition, wash and condition
every week.*i do this very gently though*
And use coconut oil on my scalp.
So far the only small setback is
that the African twists left my right
hairline a little bit thin.
But so far I have been using
MT and this essential oil
mixture to grow it back.
I plan on doing wigs and
weaves....in the future

I'm exactly 2 years post relaxer and I either twist my hair up into a claw clip or i'll do a bun. Occasionally i'll mix in flatironing but mostly its just wash and go buns for me.

im at 10 months and I have primarily co washed daily... then i apply my products and hold my head upside down, bring my hair close to top of head and put a loose or stretched out scrunchy-- the outchless ones (the scrunchy looks raggedy, but it def does the job and it very loose) i place it around it my hair ... i dont loop it at all to secure, i leave it loose and let the hair fall... i have a couple of pics in my fotki under curlies, to give you an idea. this has been the easiest way for me or wet bunning.

benefits of frequent cowashing:
hair smells nice :yep:
hair textures mix better
less manipulation (when I rock my curlies)
no heat
thickness
easy, but cute :yep:
help get rid of that stash of conditioners!:rolleyes::lachen:

hope this helps!:drunk:

You're right - cowashing is a wonderful thing!!!

Thanks, I've found that leaving my hair down and holding it back with a head band to dry after cowashing is very good!

im at 10 months and I have primarily co washed daily... then i apply my products and hold my head upside down, bring my hair close to top of head and put a loose or stretched out scrunchy-- the outchless ones (the scrunchy looks raggedy, but it def does the job and it very loose) i place it around it my hair ... i dont loop it at all to secure, i leave it loose and let the hair fall... i have a couple of pics in my fotki under curlies, to give you an idea. this has been the easiest way for me or wet bunning.

benefits of frequent cowashing:
hair smells nice :yep:
hair textures mix better
less manipulation (when I rock my curlies)
no heat
thickness
easy, but cute :yep:
help get rid of that stash of conditioners!:rolleyes::lachen:

hope this helps!:drunk:

Back