Any Current Senegalese Twist Wearers????

growinstrong

Heeeey ladies,

I am very interested in getting some Senegalese Twists to help me get to 20 weeks post. I am hoping to be full MBL :grin: after my touchup. Its been ages and I mean ages :look: since I've had any type of braids up in this head and just had a few questions from some of you that's had experience with this type of style. Specifically, I want to know:

1) How long do they last?
2) A good price to pay for thin or medium twist
3) Are they damaging?
4) How do you care for you hair and scalp while in the twists (shampoo, condition, oiling scalp and etc....)
5) A good shop in the Houston area

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this is all I could think of for now. Thanks in advance for you answers :yep:.

I had some around this time last year and will probably be getting a set installed next month sometime. My answers are in red.

1) How long do they last? They can last up to 3 months. Some people go 4 but I wouldn't go that long.

2) A good price to pay for thin or medium twist I usually pay 180.

3) Are they damaging? As long as they're not too tight, no.

4) How do you care for you hair and scalp while in the twists (shampoo, condition, oiling scalp and etc....) I tried to prolong washing because I didn't want my natural hair to curl up and puff through but once every 2 weeks. I don't use oil on my hair though. It'll make my braids slip.

5) A good shop in the Houston area Sorry I'm in Baltimore.

Heeeey ladies,

I am very interested in getting some Senegalese Twists to help me get to 20 weeks post. I am hoping to be full MBL :grin: after my touchup. Its been ages and I mean ages :look: since I've had any type of braids up in this head and just had a few questions from some of you that's had experience with this type of style. Specifically, I want to know:

1) How long do they last? I usually wear mine 2-3 months at a time.
2) A good price to pay for thin or medium twist I pay $180
3) Are they damaging? Depends on the braider but I haven't had any problems.
4) How do you care for you hair and scalp while in the twists (shampoo, condition, oiling scalp and etc....) I follow a regimen similiar to the Crown and Glory Method:yep: www.growafrohairlong.com
5) A good shop in the Houston area I don't know, I live in Florida.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this is all I could think of for now. Thanks in advance for you answers :yep:.

Answers in blue. I love Senegalese Twists! I've been wearing them during my transition. I'm thinking about getting another install today.

thanks for the response. So, where you live, what size does $180 get you? I dont want them thick, I think I prefer the smaller sized ones.

Answers in blue. I love Senegalese Twists! I've been wearing them during my transition. I'm thinking about getting another install today.

mine last 1-2 months. i do them myself, so i can take them out if i am itching to get to my real hair. this next set (installing tonight) will stay in until june 13th, and hopefully i can break BSL in them.

as i stated i do them myself, but i generally see them for between 150-175. 180 isn't too far off.

i've never noticed any damage from them.

i wash every 2-3 weeks, spraying with a moisturizing braid spray every 2-3 days.

i am in virginia, so i can't answer your last question.

Your hair looks so lush in your avatar :lick:. what type of braid spray do you use? I think I'm gonna follow the Crown and Glory method. I'm not talented enough to do them myself, so I guess I have to come out the pocket, but if they last at least 2 months and I get some good growth, it will be well worth it to me :yep:.

mine last 1-2 months. i do them myself, so i can take them out if i am itching to get to my real hair. this next set (installing tonight) will stay in until june 13th, and hopefully i can break BSL in them.

as i stated i do them myself, but i generally see them for between 150-175. 180 isn't too far off.

i've never noticed any damage from them.

i wash every 2-3 weeks, spraying with a moisturizing braid spray every 2-3 days.

i am in virginia, so i can't answer your last question.

^^^^ Thanks I can't wait to see :grin: The braiding shop by my BF's house (Vauxhall,NJ) charges based upon size and length(including the hair)-100-120; I'm not sure what this means, but I will be checking it out before I let them touch my head.

Last edited:
I've decided to wait a few more weeks on the Senegalese Twist. I'm trying to stretch long enough so I dont have to relax my hair before my son is born on July 13. I do plan to get cornrows this visit and keep them in 2-3 weeks, and then get my Senegalese Twists 1-2 weeks after that, which should take me well past my due date :yep:.

Ok, so it took a total of 2.5 hours to get the twist installed (two women were doing my hair) and it came out so GREAT (totally worth my $100) :grin: I'm excited and I can't wait to try new styles for the summer. I plan to keep them in until August.

here are the pics:

senegalese3.jpg

senegalese2-1.jpg

senegalese1.jpg

BUMP!

I'm thinking of getting these soon... I'd love to see more pics!!! Any Good braiders near the NYC are would be helpful also....:)

Ok, so it took a total of 2.5 hours to get the twist installed (two women were doing my hair) and it came out so GREAT (totally worth my $100) :grin: I'm excited and I can't wait to try new styles for the summer. I plan to keep them in until August.

here are the pics:

senegalese3.jpg

senegalese2-1.jpg

senegalese1.jpg

Your twists look great. :yep:
Would you mind telling me what type of hair you used?
TIA

Thanks. They used Kanekelon hair (sp?) I wish I could have kept them in longer, but I started a new job and wanted my hair to look fresh (they would have definately lasted until mid-July)

Your twists look great. :yep:
Would you mind telling me what type of hair you used?
TIA

1) How long do they last? They can last 2 to 3 months but I only keep mine in for 6-7 weeks
2) A good price to pay for thin or medium twist I do my own hair or my mother does them but between 100-150 is the mos I would pay
3) Are they damaging? Only if they are too tight.
4) How do you care for you hair and scalp while in the twists (shampoo, condition, oiling scalp and etc....) I shampoo and condition once a week and co wash once a week. I mix shea butter and castor oil and use that on my scalp and twist.
5) A good shop in the Houston area Sorry I'm in NJ.

Make sure you ask them what method they use. Do they start off braiding then twist or start with twist. It will last longer if they start with a braid pattern then twist but you may not like the look.

Has anyone tried these with human hair?? Is it worth it...or just stick to the synthetic???

I have always used synthetic hair because I think it holds the twists better which means that they will last longer. Human hair might be to silky for long-term use and the twists might come out.

Owwww, I have some RIGHT NOW. The picture is in my photo album RIGHT HERE. So far I had them for a month. I'm going to try to stretch them for two months (but I don't think it's going to happen). I moisturize my hair every other day with a mixture of water, my fav leave in, hawiian silky 14-in-1, and olive oil. I paid 160, and it took aprx 5 hours to complete. Sorry I don't know any places Texas. I do plan on getting them again, except this time I will get straight ends and not curly. I don't think they are damaging as long as you pay special attention to your edges. I hope this helps.

THANK YOU!
:bighug:

I was worried about the edges...and your twists are soo pretty. I'm doing a bit more research...and will get them soon! Thank you guys for all your imput!!!

Heeeey ladies,

1) How long do they last?
This is my first install, but when I have braids I usually leave them in for 2.5-3 months
2) A good price to pay for thin or medium twist
I paid 180
3) Are they damaging?
They are smaller than individuals, but not micro-small, so I don't think they will cause damage
4) How do you care for you hair and scalp while in the twists (shampoo, condition, oiling scalp and etc....)
I have to shampoo at least every 2 weeks because my dandruff can be pretty bad, but I use sulfer 8 braid spray nd that seems to be helping
5) A good shop in the Houston area
I'm in ATL

Please see the answers in bold, HTH!

I'm trying to do some senegalese twists right now. They're coming up very rpetty but I think the parts are too big. Anyone have any pics on how big the parts are supposed to be. Or are you supposed to make a part and then split it in half so you'll have more braids? I've seen that in one or two videos. I've done have of my head and I only have like 25 braids! :blush:. I think I need at least 80 for them to look nice

Has anyone tried these with human hair?? Is it worth it...or just stick to the synthetic???

I had them with human hair in high school all four years but i lost contact with the braider. Most people were refusing to use human hair for them. They lasted 8 to 10 weeks ill post pics

hair-vi.jpg

34039_1449634077486_1132232882_1342336_2433951_n.jpg

34039_1449634317492_1132232882_1342342_7131796_n.jpg
I USED WET AND WAVY HAIR. I tried human but lost the pics but i perfer wet and wavy if i wanna use human they last better and didnt fall out as much

I had Senegalese Twists done on Saturday. The lady who did my hair started braiding first then twisting. She said that whenever she does people's hair they don't want her to start off twisting as they don't stay in as long. Mine took about 8 - 9 hours as they are quite small (although not micro) and because the woman is not the quickest braider. I'm happy with them, and hope to keep them in for at least two months.

I just watched a YT video, and I put in my own kinky twists before. I think I'll just put some in myself and let my niece do my back area. I have to be honest with myself, I am poor and I won't keep em in longer than three weeks. I have to touch my hair. Lol.

I will post pictures after the holiday. I'll prob start tommorrow.

here are the pics:

senegalese3.jpg

senegalese2-1.jpg

senegalese1.jpg

This is gawgus! Can you curl this hair?

Back