Any Current Senegalese Twist Wearers????

if you set the ends on rods and dip them in hot water, yes. heat from appliances will melt it.
I really honestly want some. I might do them myself. How long do they take if you do them on your own?

Do you start braiding or twisting them? And just to make sure it is kankelon hair right?

I really honestly want some. I might do them myself. How long do they take if you do them on your own?

Do you start braiding or twisting them? And just to make sure it is kankelon hair right?

i go slow as molasses :grin: so it usually takes me between 6-8 hours, which i tend to break up into 2 days. i did sit down in front of daytime TV once and it only took me four hours...

i start with a braid, because like some of the other ladies said, they're more secure and seem to last longer. you're right about the kanekalon -- the hair is already inexpensive, but make sure it's 100% kanekalon and not the cheaper toyokalon-kanekalon blend.

i go slow as molasses :grin: so it usually takes me between 6-8 hours, which i tend to break up into 2 days. i did sit down in front of daytime TV once and it only took me four hours...

i start with a braid, because like some of the other ladies said, they're more secure and seem to last longer. you're right about the kanekalon -- the hair is already inexpensive, but make sure it's 100% kanekalon and not the cheaper toyokalon-kanekalon blend.
Ok thanks. I think i will do this in my sister's hair because she is killing me. She is trying to transitioning but her hair is popping off left and right because she not doin what i tell her to do to it. I need her to leave it alone so ima just do these in her head and call it a day. Its crazy and im tired of her coming to me with half popped hair and complaining that it's breaking off cuz nobody is doing anything to it BUT IM TELLING HER WHAT TO DO.

I had some in about a yr ago. I posted he pics in my album. I kept them in about 2mths I believe. Mine were really small tho like zillions.

I have this style...I really like it I spray my hair with infusium 23 daily, use a moisturizer on my hair daily.....I cowash my hair..often

I spend like 180-200 to get it down, these will be in for 2 months, on the 18th I plan to keep them in until the 31st.....

I dont get touch ups while there in so I take my edges down probably a month in and I twist braids and tuck them, so you cant tell...I do that in the back as well..my braids look awesome for them being in two months BUT the new growth is the dead give away I will post a pic from June 18th and one a few days ago

Oct 2009
b8sh3n.jpg

June 2010
20pbwy9.jpg

Few Days ago sorry cant see my roots lol
nqs8xk.jpg

.::Bump::.
This will be my next protective style of choice, once I've removed my sew-in.
Do any of you ladies have any updates to add to this thread?
Any testimonials as to how they've helped you retain length?
Would you choose this style over microbraids?

Inquiring minds would like to know, so FILL ME IN ladies! :)

I've used them to grow out my hair from a ceasar cut. I started rocking them when I had about 1.5"-2" of hair. I alternated between twists and curly braid extensions throughout the winter for variation and I rock wigs in between.

***PIC HEAVY***

This is my hair when I first started putting them in:

Sept 2009
September016-vi.jpg

Fall 2009 twists:
October09024-vi.jpg

I like to make them with natural ends:

IMG_26761-vi.jpg

Winter 2009 twists:

Dec09003-vi.jpg

Dec09004-vi.jpg

Fro check December 2009:

Dce09-vi.jpg

Early 2010 Winter twists:

IMG_26791-vi.jpg

IMG_26821-vi.jpg

IMG_26861-vi.jpg

Washing my twists:

IMG_2694-vi.jpg

DCing my twists:

IMG_2687-vi.jpg

Fro/length check June 2010:

IMG_29761-vi.jpg

IMG_29781-vi.jpg

Spring/Summer Twists(used Marley hair and regretted it, not as full/big/long):

IMG_28821-vi.jpg

IMG_28721-vi.jpg

Here's my hair fall/winter 2010 (One year later):
IMG_32271-vi.jpg

IMG_32311-vi.jpg

IMG_32751-vi.jpg

IMG_32741-vi.jpg

I only rocked them for about 3-4 weeks at a time, back to back, with about a week in between each install. I eventually stopped washing while in the twists.

I clarified, henna'd and DC'd upon take down and then a quick wash and DC before I put them back in.

HTH!

MzSwift said:
I've used them to grow out my hair from a ceasar cut. I started rocking them when I had about 1.5"-2" of hair. I alternated between twists and curly braid extensions throughout the winter for variation and I rock wigs in between.

***PIC HEAVY***

This is my hair when I first started putting them in:

Sept 2009

Fall 2009 twists:

I like to make them with natural ends:

Winter 2009 twists:

Fro check December 2009:

Early 2010 Winter twists:

Washing my twists:

DCing my twists:

Fro/length check June 2010:

Spring/Summer Twists(used Marley hair and regretted it, not as full/big/long):

Here's my hair fall/winter 2010 (One year later):

I only rocked them for about 3-4 weeks at a time, back to back, with about a week in between each install. I eventually stopped washing while in the twists.

I clarified, henna'd and DC'd upon take down and then a quick wash and DC before I put them back in.

HTH!

Your twists are beautiful!!! I'm intrigued...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My answers below

Heeeey ladies,

I am very interested in getting some Senegalese Twists to help me get to 20 weeks post. I am hoping to be full MBL :grin: after my touchup. Its been ages and I mean ages :look: since I've had any type of braids up in this head and just had a few questions from some of you that's had experience with this type of style. Specifically, I want to know:

1) How long do they last? Until water hits them:look:. I'm natural so it reverts/puffs pretty quick. Less of an issue if you're relaxed. I redo every month.
2) A good price to pay for thin or medium twist. IDK. I do them myself.
3) Are they damaging? So far so good. Excellent retention.
4) How do you care for you hair and scalp while in the twists (shampoo, condition, oiling scalp and etc....). Despite the reversion (I use marley so its not too noticeable), I wash often:

-Co-wash 1-2x a week.
-Every 2 weeks diluted shampoo then DC the length of my real hair with AO Island Naturals for a little protein. Then pour tea over my scalp--this is critical for decreasing shed.
-Seal after every cleansing with something heavy (butters, etc) on my own hair length. Then reseal the extension with locking gel (contains wax) while still wet.

5) A good shop in the Houston area

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this is all I could think of for now. Thanks in advance for you answers :yep:.

Back