ANY 4A/B NATURALS

scarcity21

WITH 5-6 inches of hair do the bunning method?
I was wondering how you slick your hair back and what kind of ponytail/afro puff extension do you use?
I know lots of ppl use ic fantasia sparklites but i dont think that works for me.

i use carols daughter healthy hair butter i swear that is the only thing i can put on my hair to pull it back into a bun it almost straightens my hair HTH

i dont use extensions either, only wet hair, and some leave in conditioner, then i thigten it with a scarf and when I take the scarf off after a few hours, its all slicked back:D

scarcity21 said:
WITH 5-6 inches of hair do the bunning method?

My hair is longer than that and I still can't bun! I must have a really large head 'cause my bangs still don't stretch back far enough.:lol: :look:

Saida said:
i dont use extensions either, only wet hair, and some leave in conditioner, then i thigten it with a scarf and when I take the scarf off after a few hours, its all slicked back:D

Okay, when I do this how do I make it so the hair inside the middle is smooth and moisturized just like the other hair on the outside??? Everytime I try to do this that always happens. Uggh!!!

My hair is about that length and I have a large head....I just figured out how to make it work. After a CW and my hair is still wet I apply Qhemet's Alma & Olive heavy cream, Qhemet's Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm and then seal it with a very light coat of castro oil. And while it's still wet I tie it down with a satin scarf.

Within a couple hours I have slick shiny hair with beautiful slight waves. The waves help to match the phony pony. I can hardly wait to wear my real hair, but until then this is what works well for me.

Also my hair is very thick so I place "Good Hair Day" pins in needed place to help the shorter hairs lay down....I love those pins because I experience almost no breakage from them....HTH!

To smooth my 6-7 inches of 4a/b hair back into a pony tail...

First, I have to detangle my entire head with my Denman Brush and my Giovanni Leave-In...

Second, I add some Qhemet's Heavy Cream or Carol's Daughter Hair Butter througout my hair and smooth into a pony tail using my Denman...

Next, I add a mix of Jojoba/Castor Oil to my edges to add shine and to my ends to protect them... I smooth stray hairs by adding a little Fantasia Thick and Shine gel..and then I smooth everything with my soft Boar Bristle Brush...

Last, tie it down with a scarf...and add my afro pony phony whenever Im ready to go...

Its a lot of work though...believe me...it no easy task getting these naps into a presentable pony tail...:lol: I dont really like to do it.. I feel like I have to pull it tight and that puts stress on my hair for it to look nice.:ohwell:

Carlie said:
My hair is longer than that and I still can't bun! I must have a really large head 'cause my bangs still don't stretch back far enough.:lol: :look:
SAME HERE! :grin:

I have different lengths in my hair (ranging from 6.5 to 8 inches). Fantasia Thick N Shine Gel has been the best product for slicking the hair back. And it doesnt dry hard. ;)

Last edited:
I like the Pantene Extra Liso coming creme.. It works wonderfully in straightening the hair and laying it down. It also helps to tie it down for a few minutes before going.. Something you can actually do as you shower in the morning and then leave for work or whatever. A good detangler to use on dry hair for me is Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizer Hair Lotion. It does have a wet feel until it dries but dries very softly. It allows me to detangle a bit so I dont have lumps in the middle of my head. I haven't mastered not brushing my hair yet, especially in pulled back styles so I do use a brush to help with this.

brownsugarflyygirl said:
To smooth my 6-7 inches of 4a/b hair back into a pony tail...

First, I have to detangle my entire head with my Denman Brush and my Giovanni Leave-In...

Second, I add some Qhemet's Heavy Cream or Carol's Daughter Hair Butter througout my hair and smooth into a pony tail using my Denman...

Next, I add a mix of Jojoba/Castor Oil to my edges to add shine and to my ends to protect them... I smooth stray hairs by adding a little Fantasia Thick and Shine gel..and then I smooth everything with my soft Boar Bristle Brush...

Last, tie it down with a scarf...and add my afro pony phony whenever Im ready to go...

Its a lot of work though...believe me...it no easy task getting these naps into a presentable pony tail...:lol: I dont really like to do it.. I feel like I have to pull it tight and that puts stress on my hair for it to look nice.:ohwell:

I follow a similar format.

While my hair is wet I use the Fantasia Gel with a little Glaze on top for shine. Then I tie it down for a few hours. Some of my hair in the front and back is too short to reach the pony but the gel lays them down so you can't even tell. Oh yeah, I use a rattail comb to get it back. It works better than a brush. It does take some work to get it up there though. That's why I don't like to do it often. If I do, I'll leave it slicked back for a few days or so instead of just washing that night like I usually do.

Thank you all ladies. very helpful. will have to invest in qhemets or carol's daughter when im outta braids sometime next year.

Back