Another Weddings theme....need ideas for my theme please!

luckiestdestiny

Hi all. I saw what an excellent job some of you did recommending stuff for another wedding theme thread on harlem renaissance. Well I am going to Mexico (Riviera Maya) and I am going with the theme "Old Hollywood Marries in Mexico" think Dorothy Dandridge marrying in mexico. I'm thinking of some classic meets "fun" of mexico type of stuff but don't know what that entails (all the way ) yet. So please throw out ideas from invitations, to save the dates, to cute little things that add to the wedding.:grin: Realize I have some ideas that are a scrap book if you will, but please feel free to add to it, or go in another direction. I may see something from you that makes me go :yep:.

These are some ideas that I've thought of but please I can't request enough throw in your ideas. You may have thought of something fabulous that can be added to the wedding.

Here's one question

1a) Invitiations and save the dates? Have any ideas for what would go well with this theme? I need to get them done within the next month or so so that we can send out the save the dates (at least to most folks) well in advance. I realize the invitations can go out much later (but save the dates for wedding destinations the magazines recommend 6 months to a year in advance. We'll be closing in on a year in the next couple months).

1) What do you think the reception should look like.

I do know that
1) will have twinkle lights, and candles strewn along. should I have pops of color (in the flowers) or neutral like white flowers? Where should I utilize pops of color for mexico theme? Or should I just subtly imply mexico in the environment (since it's already there) and the dress (which incorportates both old hollywood and mexico) or how else do you think I can give a punch. Please post pics of possible reception (design) ideas if you can.

2) It will be black tie. Even though we'll be on the beach for the wedding, we'll have platforms, or mats underneath as you'll see in some of the pics of suggested weddings. We'll allow guests the option to take off their shoes and put on cute flip flops before coming down to the wedding (there are winding stairs) and then when they go back up they can put back on their shoes if they want and come to the reception. I think it'll be funny to see my fiance's uptight friends with my artsy friends in black tie with flip flops :lachen:. I'm trying to make this unique, and how many destination wedding pics do you see in black tie? It's always those linen suits for the guys,etc. AND I won't do the flip flops. As I get to walk on the platform I'll be in heels (carefully walking).

3) Also post any other ideas you have. Again besides the dress and location everything else is evolving...oh and fireworks. I've already negotiated price for fireworks at my wedding at the close so there will be fireworks.

4) Basically I'm looking for little "unique" editions to the wedding: place cards, centerpieces, or things that make this wedding stand out. And of course I have no idea about how the reception will look as I go back and forth between completely neutral luxurious whites with silk, and white flowers drapping, to pops of color

What I do know is

5) The wedding itself will be coloful, not sure if the reception will be the same (but I want to add more old hollywood with pops of mexico in there)

I hope this make sense.:look: And if it doesn't please use your imagination and post what you think it means. I'm trying to tie in these two elements.:yep:
Here's my dress (keep in mind it's a mock up as I'm changing certain elements and getting it custom made. There are notes on the mockup by my seamstess which will show the changes. Also know the dress will be in pure white, instead of ivory!
il_fullxfull.210001666.jpg

The resort is gorgeous grand velas (5star)...I was able to negotiate some great deals with them so off we go. I am only showing a few pics here as I over did it in another thread....wanted to give you an idea of the back drop.

55188263_mx.jpeg

images

3655586644_e72ace2eea.jpg

3654789855_33be79ca2a.jpg

5393738225_0f6fffde60.jpg

3651565691_512df2519d.jpg

3655588684_7ff2a8d554.jpg

4728064574_bd6aaf46fd.jpg

I have more pics but enough with that.

Also some more ideas
At the wedding, in the chairs I want to leave maracas that are hand painted with signs that say "shake at the kiss" on them:

Last edited:
Last edited:
There will be fireworks
images

at the end of the wedding and possible fire dancer before.

Also we will have a dj and a live band (that will play a set or two....)

For the band I wanted a set of salsa for my sweetie as he likes salsa...do you think the other set should be big band? We can hire a big band for a 45 minute set...because of the old Hollywood theme? I negotiated so well with the hotel that I'm confident in having these at a reasonable price?

If not what do you suggest?

Ex of set ups they offer for the wedding on the beach:

4170544694_c87932c8a9.jpg

r8cwba.jpg

---

Cocktail reception will take place inside

---

Wedding reception

Original idea for reception whites:

Now I'm wondering if there's something else that can happen and how?
2rc7485.jpg
[/IMG]

Then I saw one of their weddings in blue and was like hmmmm.....
Keep in mind I'd rather it be purple or fushiaish (as I like purples and dark pinks fushias) but I like how it's still sophisticated but has color. I also like that it seems like a contradiction just like the theme. It's laid back but also sophisticated luxury.

wgualy.jpg

If I did something like ^ know it won't be on the beach, it will be by it. But the same idea.

I hope to hear from you soon and hope I didn't overwhelm you. BUT that's how I'm feeling. I feel like the wedding's going to be truly fun. BUT I want little elements that make it unique and sophisticated, but also fun too. So I want splashes of fun thrown in there:

From the invitations, to things like the maracas.

BUT I want it to also stay elegant

Please advise. I'd love to hear some of your ideas on this.

Last edited:
wow so did I overwhelm yall ...anyone?

I mean even invitations ideas (I don't have a clue) would be helpful......
:yep:

From what I see, your wedding is going to be gorgeous! It looks like you have so many of the details pat down. I honestly can not think of anything to add, what you have so far is that good. I'm sure the ladies in full wedding mode will come and chime in soon.

I think you need to start with colors that you are leaning toward and you can work any of your elements in your colors. That is quite a lot going on up there....I think you can style your wedding any way you want, you have the theme, maybe you need to pick out how the elements can tie in. What color are your maracas going to be? Are you having attendants?

You mentioned purple and pink and I looked and found these....

:thud:
Purple+%26+Pink+Bridesmaid%27s+bouquet.JPG

Purple%26PinkWeddingInv7.jpg

Your tables could have the white china/linen with the pop of color being your centerpieces/flowers....

purplepinkweddingflower.jpg

large_image.jpg

I love how they used the lanterns here...maybe not so many?
Pink_and_Purple_Lanterns.jpg

is the wedding outside?

You seem to have a clear idea what you want. The venue looks amazing. Here are some thoughts.

1060-07.jpg

I love the low rose centerpiece. Elegant but still has that pop of color.
2834630071_de8cb9a32a.jpg

An idea would be for you and your fiance to take photos dressed in old Hollywood vintage esque outfits and use that to create your own save the date cards.

Place autographed pics of you and fiance in frames at each table setting. They could be favors or placeholders.

Your wedding will be outdoors in Mexico, maybe instead of the maracas, you could provide fans. Then have the maracas on the table where guests sign in or pick up their table #'s with a sign that says 'shake me at the kiss'. But then you have to initiate the kiss again at the reception.

I love the Mexican paper cutouts called Papel picado. They are so delicate and intricately designed. It would be fun to incorporate it in your wedding. Below are just some images from Google.

with lights
papel-picado-banners-strung-from-trees-outdoor-wedding-reception-400x600.jpg

on the cake
122.jpg

on the invitation
4209122690_fe260b9a3f.jpg

amor.jpg

Plain white w/lights
paper-doily-garland_elana-pretty-light-500x331.jpg

You mentioned purple and pink and I looked and found these....

:thud:
Purple+%26+Pink+Bridesmaid%27s+bouquet.JPG

Purple%26PinkWeddingInv7.jpg

Your tables could have the white china/linen with the pop of color being your centerpieces/flowers....

purplepinkweddingflower.jpg

large_image.jpg

I love how they used the lanterns here...maybe not so many?
Pink_and_Purple_Lanterns.jpg

is the wedding outside?
The wedding is outside (well the wedding, and reception...the cocktail reception is inside...so that our guests won't wander while we take pics. So basically in this order 1)wedding outside 2) coctail reception inside 3) wedding reception outside.

Thanks sooo much! These are all really helpful. I do like seeing the pinks and purples together. I definitely think I'm incorporating that. going to find out how to incorporate the delicate papers!

wow so did I overwhelm yall ...anyone?

I mean even invitations ideas (I don't have a clue) would be helpful......

I'd say for invites stick to your Mexican theme you could eiher do
Spanish old European style invites do the Mayan thng and play up the gold accents like a great color combo is ecru biege and gold.
There some old world styles @ invitationpie.com even the font should be very curly old euro writing style.
Your dress btw is so flamingo Spanish style it fits your theme perfectly. Isn't that the dress from say yes to the dress Sarah the consultant picked out?

Now what are you doing with your hair this is a hair board afterall

Last edited:
You should check out David tutera website wetv show
He's got books and tons of ideas and makes everything formal and grand

I'd say for invites stick to your Mexican theme you could eiher do
Spanish old European style invites do the Mayan thng and play up the gold accents like a great color combo is ecru biege and gold.
There some old world styles @ invitationpie.com even the font should be very curly old euro writing style.
Your dress btw is so flamingo Spanish Sykes it fits your theme perfectly. Isn't that the dress from say yes to the dress Sarah the consultant picked out?

Now what are you doing with your hair this is a hair board afterall
Thanks for the tips. I think I definitely would like to add a Spanish style to the invits. I'll check out the website.

Yes the original dress dress is from say yes, but if you notice there are additional changes (the straps are crystal, the tie in the back with the crystal accents), etc. So it's going to change the overall look of the dress but not much. Basically it's going to make it more me but still have the whole spanish flair. What I like is that it seems old hollywood classic (especially when I add the halter straps in crystal) but also flamenco just like the theme.:grin:

Honestly I don't think you are going to have a lot of responses because you have most of the hard work done (a theme and a beautiful location). Once you've settled in on colors and have a better idea of numbers then you can decide on what little things you can focus on to make your day pop. If you've watched David Tutera's show where people make the mistake is honing in on the idea of a theme and then searching the globe for anything that is related and then the theme turns into "chotsky". Its better to have one tangible reminder than a bunch of little things and I think there are plenty of ways to get that done in that space.

I think you need to start with colors that you are leaning toward and you can work any of your elements in your colors. That is quite a lot going on up there....I think you can style your wedding any way you want, you have the theme, maybe you need to pick out how the elements can tie in. What color are your maracas going to be? Are you having attendants?[/QUOTE]

2-3 at the most. I've only asked my maid of honor so far (no one else yet as I'm not sure if I want 2 or 3 total. so I don't want to ask and then have to take it back if I decided on two but asked a total of three).

Bridesmaid
I was thinking of something that has a slight ruffle in it to go with my wedding dress, but also has a classic hollywood throw back. I'd love to hear which one you like better, or see other examples:
images

images

or I looked into a place that imitates celeb style at a discount (I don't want my maids to pay a ton for their stuff...though I don't mind paying more for mine:look:. I really dont' want my wedding to be cost prohibitive to some).

This dress has the fun flamenca thing. I'd ask for it without the train or a smaller one
images

also love this one...perhaps I could get a dressmaker to make it in a pink or purple print? Or heck I like this color but then it throws everything off..

realize this one doesn't have the ruffles, but has the old hollywood thing

images

images

).

I like this one too (colors would have to be fushia/hot pink instead of red though, basically another floral pattern incorporating my colors, but keeping the same everything else). I'm sure a dressmaker could easily make one similar and this shape and style
5x92cn.jpg

PromGirl-477972330.jpg

Basically I want my bridesmaids to look glamourous but have some fun to their look. I never did understand why some want their bridesmaids to look frumpy. Trust that I'm going to shine. I've never been intimidated by others looking their best too. So I want to make sure my friends look hawt too. :grin:

It's hard to find bridesmaid dresses that look like they could easily be evening gowns instead of you knowing it's a bridesmaid dress. I want them to look red carpet ready. I realize all of the above with the right accessories could work. What do you think? Any other ex? I'd love more because I've been scouring (and extra eyes never hurt!)

Last edited:
Hair options if flat ironing works (bringing a hairstylist friend with me)...I'm thinking half up half down, one side pinned up, or all down. Not up, though I like the options above if I were to wear it up (but I'm showing length:lol:):
sczv4n.jpg

2qdr4sg.jpg

images

hairstyles2011-50.jpg

hoping to be hip bone at the least (or longer) by then so the hair will hang longer (hopefully)

Anyone have any curlier options (pics) if the humidities does not agree with my hair as I'm natural (I will tell after the first day so I'll have another option for wedding day if necessary) I think pinning it back and doing a braid out might work too.
Makeup:
I'm not one for wearing a ton of makeup...or er any (sometimes lipgloss. or if I'm feeling really up, gasp mascara). I realize wedding pics require more so I'll probably do something like this (and pull out my mineral makeup that's sat in the drawer all year to hand to the makeup artist)
2d8191k.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
5082n.jpg

5082x3.jpg

This one caught my eye...

That's sooo pretty! Wonder if I can get it in other colors? It looks easy to make too so perhaps I can refer my bridesmaid to a cheaper alternative by a dressmaker (that looks like lazaro...I was considering some of his designs and that looks similar...though I like this one a lot better and I assume it's very expensive)?

That's sooo pretty! Wonder if I can get it in other colors? It looks easy to make too so perhaps I can refer my bridesmaid to a cheaper alternative by a dressmaker (that looks like lazaro...I was considering some of his designs and that looks similar...though I like this one a lot better and I assume it's very expensive)?
@lukiestdestiny
It's by Jim Hjelm (notorious for pricey, but they don't advertise price on site) probably at least 250.00. I'm sure someone else could make it. Here's the link.
http://www.jlmcouture.com/Jim-Hjelm...fabric=&silhouette=&waist=&neckline=24&page=1

crlsweetie912's being in the top running...but I found some other bridesmaid dresses that seem totally fun. I'd have to go halfsies with them on them I think (but I'm only going to have 2 maids anyways...not that I want to just spend money, but I also don't want my friends to go in the poor house because of me. So if I decide it will add to the theme of the wedding, and go well with my dress, and the fun I want to inspire combined with old hollywood I will definitely just bite the bullet on these I've decided)

I can imagine each of these next to mine looking fun, classy, and adding old Hollywood meets mexico

Mine to refresh your memory
get_convo_image.php
with...
BGE22135.jpg

get_convo_image.php
with:
BGE22101.jpg

get_convo_image.php
with:
18736LM_f.jpg

They're all different but completely fun and old hollywood too. Some I like are contradictions of fun with old hollywood elements, so I know they'd go well with the old hollywood hair and makeup, whereas others are old hollywood but have a splash of color for the mexico theme.

My friends are going to look too cute. I have to let them shine and do their thing!:yep: There's plenty of eligible men invited who are marriage minded .

Okay I'll let that go, no pressure of course....but if I happen to introduce them and sparks fly then that's up to them.:grin:

Last edited:
Back