Another way to air-dry

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I don't know if anyone air-dries their hair this way but I just wanted to put it out there......maybe it could help someone. With my hair being natural I was looking for a way to air-dry so that my hair would be stretched out as much as it can get before I flat iron. The results I got from my little "experiment", lol, were similar to a blow-out for me but w/o the heat. My roots were straight and the rest was fluffy and very stretched out, semi/straight. What I did was wash and condition as normal, put my hair in two ponytails and used my Denman brush to smooth out each ponytail as much as possible. Then I took about 12 rubber bands and secured the ponytail all the way down, straight, making sure to keep smoothing and adding another rubber band as I made my way down. It's kinda like "banding" if anyone knows what that is. When I got to the end I used one of those knockers that little girls wear for some weight, otherwise my hair would try to curl up. I hope that makes sense.
banded-vi.jpg

This is how it looked when I brushed it out.
airdried-vi.jpg
I'm thinking this would work well for flat ironing and braid-outs. I'm sorry if these pics don't show up......I'm thinking they won't. I tried and tried to post them but couldn't. If they don't I have them in my fotki under "Another way to air-dry". HTH!

I do this whenever I want a straighter look. I'm staying away from heat (only flat ironing once or twice a year) and this works very well.

Thank you, great tip Pokahantas! :) The results look almost like a braidout.
Jessy55 has done this banding also with her 4b hair.

thanks for the tip. I am always looking for ways to air dry my hair but not having it all BIG.

I do this with several ponytails (cuz of the short length of my hair) every time I airdry. If I didn't do this, I would have to detangle again before I styled it in twists. My hair would shrink up so much and be very difficult to style.

I actually have been looking for an alternative to air-drying, other than bunning.... but I dunno, using rubber bands along the length of my hair just sounds like bad news. :confused: The rubber bands dont tear your hair out or anything like that?

Thanks for posting this though! I may try it just yet! :)

KiniKakes said:
I actually have been looking for an alternative to air-drying, other than bunning.... but I dunno, using rubber bands along the length of my hair just sounds like bad news. :confused: The rubber bands dont tear your hair out or anything like that?

We don't have to use rubber bands. For example, when I make my ponytails for airdrying in rollersets, I use something soft and safe, like Scunci Hair Hosiery bands soaked in olive oil. These or even pantyhose cut horizontally into rings (which I learned at LHCF) are safe for our hair, just as long as they aren't too tight.:)

Isis said:
We don't have to use rubber bands. For example, when I make my ponytails for airdrying in rollersets, I use something soft and safe, like Scunci Hair Hosiery bands soaked in olive oil. These or even pantyhose cut horizontally into rings (which I learned at LHCF) are safe for our hair, just as long as they aren't too tight.:)

Aaaah, I see!!!! Thanks! :)

Isis said:

i might try this method. i'm also afraid of using rubber bands. can you post a pic of the Scunci Hair Hosiery bands so that i know what to look for when i buy them. tia!!!!

naturallyme said:
i might try this method. i'm also afraid of using rubber bands. can you post a pic of the Scunci Hair Hosiery bands so that i know what to look for when i buy them. tia!!!!
I don't have a camera to do that for you at this time. If there is a CVS near you, they usually sell the Scunci brand.:)

thank so much for this great air-drying idea!! i would've never thought about this! did you make two high ponytails or low ponytails?

as for the scunci hosiery ponytail holders, i have to drive 35 miles to find them, so sometimes i order them from tenderheaded.com - here is the link.

http://www.tenderheaded.com/scgehopoho.html

those bands are fantastic - no tuff or metal parts they don't tug your hair and if they get stretched out, just put them in water and they're back to normal.

KiniKakes said:

No, not at all. I don't put them on tight. I just wrap them around 2 or 3 times when I get to the ends. I band my hair all the time when it's dry instead of wrapping which was starting to damage my hair. It keeps my hair very straight and I haven't seen any breakage.

wyldcurlz said:
thank so much for this great air-drying idea!! i would've never thought about this! did you make two high ponytails or low ponytails?

as for the scunci hosiery ponytail holders, i have to drive 35 miles to find them, so sometimes i order them from tenderheaded.com - here is the link.

http://www.tenderheaded.com/scgehopoho.html

those bands are fantastic - no tuff or metal parts they don't tug your hair and if they get stretched out, just put them in water and they're back to normal.

You're very welcome. I try to share everything that works for me. I hope no one gets sick of me posting, lol. I did two low ponytails. I used the scunci holders to hold the ponytails and the rubber bands down the length. I used the rubber bands because I thought my hair might dry faster and leave less of a dent in my hair. It would be a good idea to use those bands though. I just don't have enough. I would probably need around 30 of them.....and I'm cheap:lol: . Let us know how it works out if you try it.

kitchen_tician said:
Very smart!!! Thanks for the tip! Your hair is very beautiful!

Your welcome. Your hair is georgeous also. Girl, I'm in your album all the time:lol: .

To all of you sweet ladies, you are very welcome and I will continue to share what works well for me......it's the only way we can learn from one another. God bless.

I tried banding again and I used more bands than before. I used 13 or 14 on each ponytail. I got good results. I think it came out a little straighter. It was much easier to flat iron and a braid-out would look nice after doing this also. It took a long time to dry though. Weather I braid or band my hair it always takes all night and most of the day to dry. Am I alone in this boat? http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/another_way_to_air-dry/img_0012.html

Last edited:
Pokahontas said:
I tried banding again and I used more bands than before. I used 13 or 14 on each ponytail. I got good results. I think it came out a little straighter. It was much easier to flat iron and a braid-out would look nice after doing this also. It took a long time to dry though. Weather I braid or band my hair it always takes all night and most of the day to dry. Am I alone in this boat? http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/another_way_to_air-dry/img_0012.html
It would make sense with your length that it takes a long time to airdry. Mine takes a long time when rollersetting to airdry but I have a feeling it's a little faster quicker than braiding or banding to airdry, probably because of the bulk of the hair is meshed together, so to speak.

I was thinking your banding would look great as a style in itself.:)

Isis said:
It would make sense with your length that it takes a long time to airdry. Mine takes a long time when rollersetting to airdry but I have a feeling it's a little faster quicker than braiding or banding to airdry, probably because of the bulk of the hair is meshed together, so to speak.

I was thinking your banding would look great as a style in itself.:)
Hi Isis. I'm so scared to air-dry my roller-set. I'm thinking it will take forever and I don't think I can sleep in my rollers.....they're huge. How long does it take yours to dry. I really want to try it out because I hate sitting under the dryer.

Pokahontas said:
Hi Isis. I'm so scared to air-dry my roller-set. I'm thinking it will take forever and I don't think I can sleep in my rollers.....they're huge. How long does it take yours to dry. I really want to try it out because I hate sitting under the dryer.
I would say about 12 hours to be completely dry. I start a few hours before going to bed and my hair is usually dry when I wake up. Sometimes, it can take just a little longer.

Once in a while, I'll wash my hair early in the day, like a Saturday or Sunday and wear the rollers all day so by the evening it's ready to go.

This is a great tip Pokahontas. I have thought about trying this in the past but my hair takes forever to dry unless it is left down.

I usually braid it to air dry it for flat ironing and like you it takes all night and usually most of the day to dry. How long does it take yours to dry in the bands?

Back