Another way to air-dry

testimony777 said:
This is a great tip Pokahontas. I have thought about trying this in the past but my hair takes forever to dry unless it is left down.

I usually braid it to air dry it for flat ironing and like you it takes all night and usually most of the day to dry. How long does it take yours to dry in the bands?
In the bands it takes about 14 or 15 hours I'm guessing. It takes about the same time to dry as when I braid it. I usually wash it in the evening and by morning it is pretty much dry. It takes a long time but I'd rather do it this way than sit under that stinking dryer.

Pokahontas said:
In the bands it takes about 14 or 15 hours I'm guessing. It takes about the same time to dry as when I braid it. I usually wash it in the evening and by morning it is pretty much dry. It takes a long time but I'd rather do it this way than sit under that stinking dryer.

Tried it this pass weekend and it works great. Flat ironing was a breeze!

Thanks for letting us know your results MissVee. I'm glad it worked good for you. That's the reason I really like doing this......it make flat ironing so easy.

After using this airdrying method, how do you prepare your hair for flat ironing? Do you add oils before or after you flat iron?

growingbrown said:
Bumping...... Anyone :look:
My hair looks like it's been blown out after it dries this way so all I have to do is apply my heat protectant. You could use oil or moisturizer if you wanted but I don't because it weights my hair down.

Pokahontas, Isis
Even if I am not as much against heat as you are, I am also from time to time fed up with my hood dryer.
I have discovered by Metrobeauty some "gigantic" rollers which really speed up the hairdrying. With my thick hair midback, I can air dry within less than 5 hours which is not bad, provided I accept putting enough rollers on my head, in order to get as less hair as possible on each rollers.
You can see these Phat Boys rollers on my Fotki. They are really huge (up to 5 inches in diameter). I think they originate from Carribean countries and are designed for air drying (no hood dryer would be big enough !). I am trying to use as much as possible the biggest size. No need to say that you are looking funny (I would not dare to go in the street), but this is manageable after some trials. I had some troubles initially to keep these rollesr in place but with clips and a good training, my best friend did succeed to keep the arrangment. I also made another test with a french girl who had hair to the waist. She had to stay 6 hours in her rollers.
I hope it helps

albane said:
Pokahontas, Isis
Even if I am not as much against heat as you are, I am also from time to time fed up with my hood dryer.
I have discovered by Metrobeauty some "gigantic" rollers which really speed up the hairdrying. With my thick hair midback, I can air dry within less than 5 hours which is not bad, provided I accept putting enough rollers on my head, in order to get as less hair as possible on each rollers.
You can see these Phat Boys rollers on my Fotki. They are really huge (up to 5 inches in diameter). I think they originate from Carribean countries and are designed for air drying (no hood dryer would be big enough !). I am trying to use as much as possible the biggest size. No need to say that you are looking funny (I would not dare to go in the street), but this is manageable after some trials. I had some troubles initially to keep these rollesr in place but with clips and a good training, my best friend did succeed to keep the arrangment. I also made another test with a french girl who had hair to the waist. She had to stay 6 hours in her rollers.
I hope it helps
Hey albane. Those rollers sound really cool. Wow!....just 5 hours to air-dry, now that's what I'm talking about.

Just coming back from your fotki and WOAH those are some huge rollers!!!!!!!!
a010.gif
I bet your results are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Pokahontas
In fact the results are not particularly stunning, this is just a good way to make your hair straight, but to get that result you need to prefectly roll the hair on the rollers .... you really need an external help. But that the main benefit is to air dry in a reasonable amount of time.
As for the size, yes they are really HUGE. The first time my husband saw me with those monsters, he could not believe that I could sustain such a head. Fortunately he is never joking with my haircare, on the contrary he does help.

albane said:
Pokahontas, Isis
I hope it helps

I need to get some of those Phat Boys rollers and learn how to rollerset! With the dry heat here in Vegas I could probably dry in 5-6 hrs.

Pokahontas said:
I don't know if anyone air-dries their hair this way but I just wanted to put it out there......maybe it could help someone. With my hair being natural I was looking for a way to air-dry so that my hair would be stretched out as much as it can get before I flat iron. The results I got from my little "experiment", lol, were similar to a blow-out for me but w/o the heat. My roots were straight and the rest was fluffy and very stretched out, semi/straight. What I did was wash and condition as normal, put my hair in two ponytails and used my Denman brush to smooth out each ponytail as much as possible. Then I took about 12 rubber bands and secured the ponytail all the way down, straight, making sure to keep smoothing and adding another rubber band as I made my way down. It's kinda like "banding" if anyone knows what that is. When I got to the end I used one of those knockers that little girls wear for some weight, otherwise my hair would try to curl up. I hope that makes sense.http://images16.fotki.com/v303/free/ea06c/6/661554/3533845/banded-vi.jpg?500375

This is how it looked when I brushed it out.http://images16.fotki.com/v299/free/ea06c/6/661554/3533845/airdried-vi.jpg?375500 I'm thinking this would work well for flat ironing and braid-outs. I'm sorry if these pics don't show up......I'm thinking they won't. I tried and tried to post them but couldn't. If they don't I have them in my fotki under "Another way to air-dry". HTH!

Well, I tried this method. I washed and put ouchless bands on the lenght. Love it :grin: It got my hair really straight. I was impressed. Then, I decided to flat iron my hair. I put TCB heat protectant and Olive Oil moisturizing lotion on and attempted to flat iron :nono: That was the wrong thing to do. I had so much breakage:eek: I immediately stoped. What went wrong? Is flat ironing possible after airdrying?:perplexed

growingbrown said:
Well, I tried this method. I washed and put ouchless bands on the lenght. Love it :grin: It got my hair really straight. I was impressed. Then, I decided to flat iron my hair. I put TCB heat protectant and Olive Oil moisturizing lotion on and attempted to flat iron :nono: That was the wrong thing to do. I had so much breakage:eek: I immediately stoped. What went wrong? Is flat ironing possible after airdrying?:perplexed
I'm glad it worked good for you. Thanks for reporting back and letting us know how it worked out.

Yes, it's possible to air-dry and flat iron, that's the only way I do it. I'm not sure what your breakage is from....did you put the moisturizing lotion on your dry hair before you flat ironed? Maybe that was it....I dunno. Maybe next time just try using just the heat protectant.

Pokahontas said:
I'm glad it worked good for you. Thanks for reporting back and letting us know how it worked out.

Yes, it's possible to air-dry and flat iron, that's the only way I do it. I'm not sure what your breakage is from....did you put the moisturizing lotion on your dry hair before you flat ironed? Maybe that was it....I dunno. Maybe next time just try using just the heat protectant.

Thank you for responding Pokahontas. Yes I used a moisturized before and after the drying process. Should I just put the moisture on whill drying and then use a protectant when I flat iron?

Thanks again

growingbrown said:
Thank you for responding Pokahontas. Yes I used a moisturized before and after the drying process. Should I just put the moisture on whill drying and then use a protectant when I flat iron?

Thanks again
Yeah, that's what I'd do. Good luck!

Back