Another transitioning dryness rant. Please help me!!

newbeginnings2010

Okay folks, I'm transitioning (14 weeks in), and my hair is being difficult. Of course, I expected this. But I thought DCing and cowashing was supposed to tame the hard, tangled mess that my hair is right now! Here's my story:

Last night I DC'ed for 2 hours with Shea Moisture's hair masque, rinsed it out with cold water, let my hair dry to about 80%, sealed with coconut oil, detangled my relaxed hair, braided in five braids, wore a satin cap overnight, and unbraided it the next morning. It looked good. My new growth was soft, and I had super shrinkage (I'm a 4zzzzzzzzz :yep:), but it was fine.

This morning before I got to work, it was SOOOOO humid outside! My hair was actually DAMP (almost WET) by the time I got to the office! I pulled it into a ball and slipped on a headband (I keep a hair tie and headband in my purse).

When I got home after work, I realized my hair was such a HARD, DRY MESS that my immediate reaction was to soak it in product. So I soaked my new growth in Care Free Curl spray and my ends in Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker. My new growth feels a little better, but my relaxed ends are CRAP! I tried sealing with coconut oil too and that didn't work either. I knew that this was going to be hard and I really hate to be the whiner, but I don't know what to do! Help please ladies! What should I do? I thought I was prepared for the hard times by studying LHCF, but apparently I didn't study so well. HELP!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

In the early beginning of my transition my hair was very hard and dry, but after months of moisturizing/conditioning my hair, it eventually got softer, more moisturized and easier to handle. I think its going to take time for you increase the moisture levels in your hair. Try experimenting with new products. I hardly ever use protein now that I'm transitioning and the hair products I used before my transition are different from what I'm using now. Maybe you need to switch up your regimen a little bit. HTH!!

Thanks Beauty Bandit. The products that I mentioned are all new for me, but maybe they aren't right for my hair. I'll try something else soon. It's expensive!!!

Any other suggestions?

Only thing that helps my ng stay moisturized is to co-wash at least 2 times a week. If it still feels dry, I spritz with water and seal with whipped shea butter. But my ng def needs water.

So your hair was damp from the humidity, but when you got to the office I would imagine the dry cold air from the air conditioning dried out your hair.

It has me thinking two things-
The coconut oil is making your hair hard. Check this link out- http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/04/coconut-oil-crunchy-hair.html
You may want to lighten up on the application.

OR

You may need more moisture. Products or adding aloe, shea butter, or avocado oil (there are others) may help.

Back