another breakage thread.

erin558

i noticed that after I washed with Aloe Rid for the first time my hair has been breaking off. ( i hated this stuff btw ) it's not severe but it really does get on my nerves. I went out and bought the aphogree intensive keratine treatment because i don't think i need the BIG aphogee. i tried that and deep conditioned with the DRP-11 under the dryer. I then put the Fantasia IC Aloe Leave in my hair ( this is the second time i've used thsi, so i know its not the problem ) and when i dried my hair it was still sort of breaking. My hair feels harder, and i expected this. I just did all of this about 20 minutes or so ago.

does it take awhile for the protein to kick in or did it just not work? Do I need a heavier protein? like I said, the breakage isn't severe. Could it be the weather change?

I don't blow dry my hair and i use my straightener once a week or once every two weeks. this is all very recent.

Last edited:
My questions for you:

1. Did you follow up the Aloe Rid poo with a moisturizing, detangling poo (like Creme of Nature)? I know that my hair seems to hate poos with SLS...they make my hair feel stripped and cause hellacious tangles. The moisurizing poo might calm things down a bit.
  2. Did you try the strand test on your hair before your protein treatment? You might not have needed a protein treament in the first place. Apparently, some people's hair reacts badly to protein. In those cases, protein can make their hair breakage worse.
I would try a really rich, moisturizing deep conditioner to help get things back on the right track. From what I've been reading so far, you should always follow up a protein treatment with a deep conditioner, to restore the protein/moisture balance in your hair.

preciousjewel76 said:
My questions for you:

1. Did you follow up the Aloe Rid poo with a moisturizing, detangling poo (like Creme of Nature)? I know that my hair seems to hate poos with SLS...they make my hair feel stripped and cause hellacious tangles. The moisurizing poo might calm things down a bit.
  2. Did you try the strand test on your hair before your protein treatment? You might not have needed a protein treament in the first place. Apparently, some people's hair reacts badly to protein. In those cases, protein can make their hair breakage worse.
I would try a really rich, moisturizing deep conditioner to help get things back on the right track. From what I've been reading so far, you should always follow up a protein treatment with a deep conditioner, to restore the protein/moisture balance in your hair.

yeah, after I did the aloe rid I shampooed with CON.

No I didn't do a strand test.

when I got done with my protein, I conditioned twice. once with the crap conditioner they tell you to do, and then with the DPR-11 under the hood dryer.

erin558 said:
yeah, after I did the aloe rid I shampooed with CON.

No I didn't do a strand test.

when I got done with my protein, I conditioned twice. once with the crap conditioner they tell you to do, and then with the DPR-11 under the hood dryer.

Oops, I totally missed that part about the DPR-11 in your original post. Is the "crap conditioner" you're referring to the Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer? LOL, I have some of that too, and I can't figure out what's supposed to be so great about it:perplexed .

I'm sorry you're having hair issues! I'm dealing with some breakage myself, but it's been getting a lot better since I've been moisturizing the heck outta my hair. Maybe you could try another deep con in a couple of days?

Analyze the products you have been using, they may be a little protein heavy. I think the fantasia IC leave-in may have quite a bit of protein in it too. Keep doing the DPR-11 conditioning treatments, mix in a little EVOO (with baggie and heat for 30 min) regularly. I also like Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus (you can find it at Sally's) it's very moisturizing too! ;)
And moisturize your hair and seal daily- it should improve. :)

amr501 said:
Analyze the products you have been using, they may be a little protein heavy. I think the fantasia IC leave-in may have quite a bit of protein in it too. Keep doing the DPR-11 conditioning treatments, mix in a little EVOO (with baggie and heat for 30 min) regularly. I also like Lustrasilk's Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus (you can find it at Sally's) it's very moisturizing too! ;)
And moisturize your hair and seal daily- it should improve. :)

yeah i put the fantasia in my hair because i know it has protein in it. I never use it but i just bought it for reasons like this. I'm going to keep doing the DPR-11 treatments. Ive been sealing my ends with coconut oil.

im goign to try the lustrasilk stuff. i have their tea tree oil one.

preciousjewel76 said:
Oops, I totally missed that part about the DPR-11 in your original post. Is the "crap conditioner" you're referring to the Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer? LOL, I have some of that too, and I can't figure out what's supposed to be so great about it:perplexed .

I'm sorry you're having hair issues! I'm dealing with some breakage myself, but it's been getting a lot better since I've been moisturizing the heck outta my hair. Maybe you could try another deep con in a couple of days?

haha thanks! like I said, its not in bad shape or anything but i just wanted to get a grip on it incase it did get bad. Now my hair isn't breaking as much so i will keep an update on the next few days to see if it ges worse.

I'm going to do another deep con in a few days, too. I'm pretty sure the Aloe Rid is what got me! I bought itb ecause people were saying it was gentle. I must have mutant hair because that mess sucked my hiar dry! it felt like wet plastic. I just can't use most shampoo's. Is that just me? the only one I can really use is CON but I have to clarify with that one and clarifying shampoo's always set me back. the only clarifying shampoo that isnt so bad is the one by Herbal Essence ( old formula. ) I guess i will stick with that.

preciousjewel76 said:

haha thanks! like I said, its not in bad shape or anything but i just wanted to get a grip on it incase it did get bad. Now my hair isn't breaking as much so i will keep an update on the next few days to see if it ges worse.

I'm going to do another deep con in a few days, too. I'm pretty sure the Aloe Rid is what got me! I bought itb ecause people were saying it was gentle. I must have mutant hair because that mess sucked my hiar dry! it felt like wet plastic. I just can't use most shampoo's. Is that just me? the only one I can really use is CON but I have to clarify with that one and clarifying shampoo's always set me back. the only clarifying shampoo that isnt so bad is the one by Herbal Essence ( old formula. ) I guess i will stick with that.

I just went through this yesterday. Strands of hair would be in my hand if i rubbed the back of my head. I did a wet strand test and concluded that I needed some protein. So I put ORS Hair Mayo on my hair while dry and wrapped a hot, wet towel around it for about 10 minutes with my plastic cap over top of that. Then I washed with CON and followed with my Kenra MC mixed with some more Hair Mayo. The breakage stopped.

I suggest you do a wet strand test to see if you need more moisture or protein or maybe a mix of both. Cholesterol and Hair Mayo are better than the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor in my opinion. Maybe you could give those a try.

candy1214 said:
I just went through this yesterday. Strands of hair would be in my hand if i rubbed the back of my head. I did a wet strand test and concluded that I needed some protein. So I put ORS Hair Mayo on my hair while dry and wrapped a hot, wet towel around it for about 10 minutes with my plastic cap over top of that. Then I washed with CON and followed with my Kenra MC mixed with some more Hair Mayo. The breakage stopped.

I suggest you do a wet strand test to see if you need more moisture or protein or maybe a mix of both. Cholesterol and Hair Mayo are better than the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor in my opinion. Maybe you could give those a try.

Yeah, that aphogee did nothing because my hair is not only still breaking but it just feels weird. i'm so mad now because my hair was alright until i washed wtih that shampoo. I figured that I needed protein since I never use protein conditioners. how do I know if I need more moisture? I mean I condition well all the time, use leave-ins, etc and I know its not build up because i just clarified. im so frustrated because i feel like all of my hair is going to just shed and its going to be broken off and im bacck to square one.

and how do I do a wet strand test? I think i know what you're talking about but i want to make sure

Quote from Sistaslick's (breakage 101 thread):

How Do I Perform a Proper Wet Assessment?​

It will be difficult for you to wet assess your hair by holding a single strand and pulling on both ends. That type of stress would be considered "undue" stress, because no single hair is ever really subjected to that sort of tension at one time. Any strand of hair (healthy or not) that you pull on by both ends has the potential to snap depending on the pressure you apply to it. Hair should be wet assessed by the normal act of combing though it or touching-testing it.

Wet Assessment Break Down​

If your hair:

(Wet or Dry) Stretches slighty/returns to original length /no breaking= you are balanced just stick with maintaining!

(Wet ot Dry) Stretching a little more than normal then breaks= more protein

(Wet or Dry)Stretching, stretching, stretching/no breakage yet= more protein

(Wet)- Weak, gummy, mushy, limp hair= more protein

(Wet or Dry) Very little/no stretching then breakage= more moisture

(Dry) Rough/tough/hard/tangly/brittle hair= more moisture

Unsure= err on the side of moisture

For those of you just starting out on your journey to healthier head of hair, I recommend you begin with a more moisture friendly regimen before you incorporate the protein aspect. The reason being, many of us (before our hair care awakening) have naturally moisture deficient hair care routines and regimens- especially those with no regimen at all. Rarely have I seen a woman have hair problems that are a result of over-conditioning her hair and too much moisture. I can guarantee you that almost 99% of the time, poor moisturizing and conditioning are the issues that spawn our hair care interventions.

okay i need more moisture. i didnt even need protein. i was right when i said i think i knew what a strand test was. when i did one last week my hair was fine but this was before the aloe rid. i just pulled my hair and it just snapped immediately. that never happened before

erin558 said:
okay i need more moisture. i didnt even need protein. i was right when i said i think i knew what a strand test was. when i did one last week my hair was fine but this was before the aloe rid. i just pulled my hair and it just snapped immediately. that never happened before

Yeah, sounds like you need more moisture ;)
What type of daily moisturizers do you use?

amr501 said:
Yeah, sounds like you need more moisture ;)
What type of daily moisturizers do you use?

all i have is a leave in. I was using NTM but i got tired of it, I bought Salerm 21 but it was so heavy. maybe i need that now? I don;t have a moisturizer that I just apply everyday. all i have are leave ins and i apply oil to my ends every few days or so

erin558 said:
all i have is a leave in. I was using NTM but i got tired of it, I bought Salerm 21 but it was so heavy. maybe i need that now? I don;t have a moisturizer that I just apply everyday. all i have are leave ins and i apply oil to my ends every few days or so

The NTM silk touch is really good too, very light & doesn't weigh down my hair.

amr501 said:
The NTM silk touch is really good too, very light & doesn't weigh down my hair.

how often do you put the moisturizer on your hair? I've tried the ors stuff but it was too heavy for me

erin558 said:
how often do you put the moisturizer on your hair? I've tried the ors stuff but it was too heavy for me

I do it daily. It really should be done daily, sometimes morning and night if needed. I also use a spray bottle filled with distilled water, a few squirts of elucence moisture balance conditioner, and a few drops of sweet almond oil ( I shake it up and spritz my hair daily before bunning) I usually use this in the mornings instead of the ORS........you could try spritzing your hair with a similar concoction if you find the NTM or ORS too heavy. HTH :)

Last edited:
im goign to try that. I can never find a good daily moisturizer becauset hey all seem to heavy for me. since my hiar is getting longer and starting to touch my clothes im wearing it up more though so maybe i can start doing this.

Wow

The second i finished reading your first post, i thought ' That is a lot of protein'.
Aloe rid is a clarifying shampoo and kinda strips the hair of all products. It sound to me like you have added mostly protein to your hair since clarifying. Feel your hair. Is it soft or hard? does it feel brittle?

I'd suggest you start moisturising like mad. Try conditioner washing or doing a deep conditioning treatment. I had the same breakage/ hardness problem for quite a while...more recently because i had od'd on protein treatments to prepare my hair for a relaxer. This made my hair too hard and it started breaking. I've had to co-wash and moisturise daily to regain moisture and elasticity in my strands.
Ope this helps.

Henrietta said:

I'd suggest you start moisturising like mad. Try conditioner washing or doing a deep conditioning treatment. I had the same breakage/ hardness problem for quite a while...more recently because i had od'd on protein treatments to prepare my hair for a relaxer. This made my hair too hard and it started breaking. I've had to co-wash and moisturise daily to regain moisture and elasticity in my strands.
Ope this helps.

ITA with Henrietta. This is where I am right now. My hair has been brittle lately, and and tangly as heck on wash days. I think weeks of ACV rinses are to blame. I hate setbacks! :wallbash:

Today I've been conditioning the heck out of my hair and I am hoping for a miracle to get my hair back in shape. When hair is brittle, moisture definitely seems the way to go. :yep:

Henrietta said:
Wow

The second i finished reading your first post, i thought ' That is a lot of protein'.
Aloe rid is a clarifying shampoo and kinda strips the hair of all products. It sound to me like you have added mostly protein to your hair since clarifying. Feel your hair. Is it soft or hard? does it feel brittle?

Ope this helps.

I know aloe rid is a clarifying shampoo. thats why i bought it because people were saying it was a gentle clarying shampoo, but this turned out to not be the case for me.

i only added a bunch of protein stuff to my hair recently. the aphogee intensive and the aloe vera leave in. yes, it feels hard. im going to deep condition it monday. conditioner washes make my scalp itch

Well the breakage has gotten much worse. my hair texture is completely differnet. it's now dry as hay and breaking all over the place. pieces of my hair are all around my apartment. I deep conditioned as much as I could today and it's still not holding moisture.

i think i'm going to have to cut all of my hair off. I'm so upset I can't even cry about it. I was doing SO well and now i'm even worse off than before. I don't understand it.

It happened right when I thought i was doing everything right, too. I bought a silk scarf and everything and my hair is just POPPING out.

I guess I have to make an appointment next week to get my hair cut off and just go natural.

erin558 said:
Well the breakage has gotten much worse. my hair texture is completely differnet. it's now dry as hay and breaking all over the place. pieces of my hair are all around my apartment. I deep conditioned as much as I could today and it's still not holding moisture.

i think i'm going to have to cut all of my hair off. I'm so upset I can't even cry about it. I was doing SO well and now i'm even worse off than before. I don't understand it.

It happened right when I thought i was doing everything right, too. I bought a silk scarf and everything and my hair is just POPPING out.

I guess I have to make an appointment next week to get my hair cut off and just go natural.

Honey, what you just described sounds like what my hair was doing. It stopped after I realized that my problem was my water. I don't live in an area with hard water, but some how, in my pipes maybe, there is some kind of mineral build-up that is in my water. It was terrible. No matter what treatment, conditioner or anything I did, it would not help.

Could that be your problem, too.

I mean EVERYTHING you described was my hair. I MUST MUST MUST use Redken Cleansing cream, Cream of nature clarifying, or Kenra clarifying before I use a moisturizing shampoo. I may be able to skip one or two times, but I don't chance it.

Once, I switched to Keracare clarifying after my hair had normalized. No lie, After 2 shampoos, my hair was back to behaving how your has been. I learned later that Keracare clarifying is not a demineralizing shampoo. One Kenra Clarifying cleanse and it was so much better. Actually, that is when I learned what the problem was. It has only gotten better, too.

I hope things get better for you!

Last edited:
erin558 said:

No! Don't get scissor crazy! We all have setbacks. I use aloe rid also. It is semi stripping but I use alot of heavy products on my hair and I need to clarify every so often. When I clarify though, I ALWAYS follow with a moisturizing DC.

You may need to DC every few days to get your hair back on track. Are you sitting under the dryer? if so for how long? what type of DC are u using? I use Humectress and ORS Pak under thr dryer for 25 min....they both do a great job of moisturizing. I use NTM as a leave in and s-curl does wonders for moisturizing and softening the hair although some ladies here do not like it.

Good luck and don't let this get you down!!! ;)

JazzyDez said:
No! Don't get scissor crazy! We all have setbacks. I use aloe rid also. It is semi stripping but I use alot of heavy products on my hair and I need to clarify every so often. When I clarify though, I ALWAYS follow with a moisturizing DC.

You may need to DC every few days to get your hair back on track. Are you sitting under the dryer? if so for how long? what type of DC are u using? I use Humectress and ORS Pak under thr dryer for 25 min....they both do a great job of moisturizing. I use NTM as a leave in and s-curl does wonders for moisturizing and softening the hair although some ladies here do not like it.

Good luck and don't let this get you down!!! ;)

I sit under the dryer. I deep conditioned friday under the dryer and it didnt work. today i even CW and then I deep conditioned with Paul Mitchell super charged but it didnt work so I tried to deep condition with cholestorol because someone said it might help and it didnt help. i used salerm 21 leave in and my hair is laughing at it. its long pieces, short pieces, all kinds of pieces on my bathroom floor and in my sink. i cant even brush my hair back because its so hard, dry, bushy. ORS didnt help either.

HoneyDew said:
Honey, what you just described sounds like what my hair was doing. It stopped after I realized that my problem was my water. I don't live in an area with hard water, but some how, in my pipes maybe, there is some kind of mineral build-up that is in my water. It was terrible. No matter what treatment, conditioner or anything I did, it would not help.

Could that be your problem, too.

I mean EVERYTHING you described was my hair. I MUST MUST MUST use Redken Cleansing cream, Cream of nature clarifying, or Kenra clarifying before I use a moisturizing shampoo. I may be able to skip one or two times, but I don't chance it.

Once, I switched to Keracare clarifying after my hair had normalized. No lie, After 2 shampoos, my hair was back to behaving how your has been. I learned later that Keracare clarifying is not a demineralizing shampoo. One Kenra Clarifying cleanse and it was so much better. Actually, that is when I learned what the problem was. It has only gotten better, too.

I hope things get better for you!

I can't even use most shampoo's because they strip my hair sooo bad. the only shampoo I can use is CON, and im thinking that maybe the build up is making my hair break off? i do clarify though. i ususally use herbal essences clarify but i tried aloe rid and its gone down hill from here. my boyfriends hair has also been dry as a rock and breaking off. im just freaking out because my hiar was ON POINT and now its just bad. this always happens when i get at this length and then i have to cut it off and start all over again. im just so fed up. my edges are thin, my nape is thin, and now my hair is falling out. could it be relaxer damage? i'm 5 weeks post and it just started happening.

Back