Amla powder is not as moisturizing?

michaela

Natural 4b
Today I was reading some info on amla powder. Amla powder is not as moisturizing as I thought. Some said shikakai powder is less drying....
I really dont know...what do you think/your experince with these powders?

From what I've read, amla powder has about 500% more vitamin C than an orange. It's extremely acidic. If you are not careful with amla powder, you can do some serious damage to your tresses. With my first use, I used 2 T in my henna mixture and my hair was hard and matted. It tooks tons of conditioner to get my hair to untangle. The second henna was done without amla and there was a world of difference. So I decided to use it on my face because it's supposed to be an excellent face scrub. That was a disaster we won't even go into (strictly a personal reaction that hopefully most people wouldn't experience). In defense of amla, it's supposed to be a fantastic fruit with wonderful properties for the hair, but I think we should be really careful to use it properly and carefully, and when using the powder, in small amounts mixed with other ingredients. The oils are probably much easier tolerated and give better results. Shikakai powder is much gentler and conditioning to the hair, IMO. I've had great results and no problems with shikakai powder. Always remember, YMMV.

From what I've read, amla powder has about 500% more vitamin C than an orange. It's extremely acidic. If you are not careful with amla powder, you can do some serious damage to your tresses. With my first use, I used 2 T in my henna mixture and my hair was hard and matted. It tooks tons of conditioner to get my hair to untangle. The second henna was done without amla and there was a world of difference. So I decided to use it on my face because it's supposed to be an excellent face scrub. That was a disaster we won't even go into (strictly a personal reaction that hopefully most people wouldn't experience). In defense of amla, it's supposed to be a fantastic fruit with wonderful properties for the hair, but I think we should be really careful to use it properly and carefully, and when using the powder, in small amounts mixed with other ingredients. The oils are probably much easier tolerated and give better results. Shikakai powder is much gentler and conditioning to the hair, IMO. I've had great results and no problems with shikakai powder. Always remember, YMMV.

useful information!

I have never had an issue with amla and I do everything kind of wrong and backwards. I don't have recipes, for example. On wash day, I just get out my powders (amla, brahmi, shikakai, neem, etc) and pour til I'm satisfied. I just make sure at a minimum that I have one cleansing powder and at least one with conditioning or strengthening properties. I sometimes use tons of amla in my mix with no ill effects. I do make sure to oil my hair heavily before a wash and that keeps any cleanser or powder from stripping it and making it dry.

In my experience Amla powder with a basic mix of just water is good only for my face. For my HAIR Amla must be tweaked with some kind of oil to be effective.

I don't have my shikakai game together. My experience with this powder is not enough to offer an opinion...I still have a full box under my sink:rolleyes:

I've never mixed Shikakai powder with another powder. If anything, I've used Amla oil. It does leave your hair extremely matted and tangled. The best advice I can give you is to use an extremely moisturizing conditioner to deep condition with. NO PROTEIN! If you have one that leaves your hair too moist and gummy, well... its going to be perfect for Ayurvedic powders cuz that mess is hecka strong. I use M.O.P. Extreme moisture and got the perfect mix of strength and hydration.

Back