AmilLion...please help me out

NAY007

i read on this other post that you always roller set your hair. do you have any advice for me to make roller setting easier. do you use bobby pins?
it seems so hard for me to roller set my hair, don't ask me why. i really want to learn it though, my mom use to roller set my hair and it always came out so shiny and full of body.
if you had some advice for me and of course anybody who roller sets their hair let me know. i will be thankful. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, how are you once again Nay007 /images/graemlins/smile.gif?

I hope the site was very helpful.

Usually upon roller setting my hair, I like for my hair to be dripping wet, without towel drying it. It helps a great deal combing through, especially after you spray in your leave in conditioner. I prefer Arosci, it has oil in it and it works wonders detangling "my" hair.

What I like to do is, part the hair in three sections, from hairline to the back. On the sides, I like to comb these sections straight down and begin roller setting the middle part. When roller setting, I use only a fine tooth comb. This really helps smooth out the hair.

I make perhaps a 2" horizontal part, comb the hair straight up while keeping the hair semi-taught. The first front roller, I prefer to roll it forward as if I have a bang, even though I do not. Combing the hair straight up and rolling straight down enables the roller to roll closer to the roots. Now as far as the rest of the hair down the middle part, continue to make about 2" horizontal parts and roll that hair back, but remember, when sectioning off, you're going to always comb the hair straight up. If using the gray (Anne) rollers, you should have about 8 rollers.

Now its time for the sides. From the part at the middle of your head, you want to make a part from there down to your ear. Now if you're on the right side of your head you want to start rolling the hair that's closet to the rollers at an angle (think at 4'oclock). In this section, you should have no more than 3 rollers, 4 at tops. Comb hair straight up and roll down the hair.

Now, its time for the hair closet to the hair line. This section should take 2 rollers, 3 at most. Once again, comb hair straight up and roll down. Repeat this process on the left side.

I like to secure all my rollers with the metal clips. I generally place the clips at the base of the roller and I do not clip rollers together ONLY unless they're really loose lets say near the nape of your neck or ear.

I find using a minimal amount of rollers allows my hair to come out VERY BOUNCY and shiny. You're leave in conditioner is also a major factor in this as well.

The way to tell if you've used too much leave in conditioner or have a drying leave in conditioner is, once you feel your hair on the roller, the hair feels a little crispy as if you have to break it up. A moisturizing conditioner when you touch your hair on the roller, it should nearly fall the roller when dry. It should never feel crunchy. When this occurs, I notice the need for a moisturizer during the week is minimal.

*ALWAYS use your hood dryer on a cool-warm setting, never hot as you might as well use a blow-dryer in my opinion.

GOOD LUCK

Thank you soooo much. I will definitely use your advice. I am sorry it took me a while to answer but they are killing me at work.
You don't know how happy I am right now that I got these
answers, now I am really looking forward to trying it.
thanks again /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can testify to this rollar setting guide from AMillion. Thanks to her I"m doing the EXACT pattern she described with pins /images/graemlins/grin.gif (waves Amillion)

AmiLion, please answer a question for me. Love your tips by the way, they have really helped me perfect roller setting.

After applying your leave in conditioner - are you applying a moisturizing one to set with? Or just your initial application of leave in conditioner??

I love the look and feel of roller setting, but don't want to use a setting lotion or alot of products.

Thanks

okay maybe i am a little slow.
from what i understand everybody is using the metal clips to secure the rollers instead of bobby pins.
now where exactly do you place the clip??? when you look in the mirror do you place it in the front of the roller or in the back? i don't know if you understand my question /images/graemlins/confused.gif but the answer would be very important to me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
thank you guys soo much for being patient. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
After applying your leave in conditioner - are you applying a moisturizing one to set with? Or just your initial application of leave in conditioner??

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I like to use only a leave-in conditioner, but the one that I use contain essential oils. So therefore, I have my water based conditioner with oil. I love this leave-in conditioner. It seems great, provides the "slip" that I need and doesn't harden the hair once dried.

The leave-in conditioner that I use is: http://www.sourcebeautysupply.com/catalog/arosci/images/intra_vyving_w120xh184_mf.jpg

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
from what i understand everybody is using the metal clips to secure the rollers instead of bobby pins.
now where exactly do you place the clip??? when you look in the mirror do you place it in the front of the roller or in the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never call yourself slow. Imagine combing your hair straight up, then rolling the roller straight down. You basically want to take a clip and place it at the base, or rather, where the roller meets the scalp. Clips both sides. You roller should not feel tight against your head, but it shouldn't feel as if you could shake the roller out either.

Re:step by step rollersetting instructions!

Hey can someone help, ive never done a roller set and have read several of the posts here and gruesgirl (at geocities) but still dont understand which are the best rollers to use?

hope someone can help
uzz

[ QUOTE ]
Hey can someone help, ive never done a roller set and have read several of the posts here and gruesgirl (at geocities) but still dont understand which are the best rollers to use?

hope someone can help
uzz

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the best ones to produce smooth hair are the smooth rollars with holes all over them. They're called magnetic rollars and are sold at most beauty supplies. They come in different colours, each colour representing different sizes. Some have matching covers and grey size and larger don't. Some here use the matching covers or use silver clips to secure each side of the rollars.

Thanks hopefully shall start doing a roller set as soon as get some wish me luck

Uzz

HA!!! This is too funny....this was soo long ago when I started this thread. I think it was right after I joined this board. I don't even rollerset my hair. I gave up on it a long time ago.

I rollerset exactly the same way as Amillion but I begin from the back, does any one know why you should start from the front?

OT Nay, did you use to have a photo album? I remember when I first joined this forum yours was the first one I had seen. I recalled your hair was long, gorgeous and stunning
shocked.gif
Just wanted to give you your props
up.gif

Back