Am I The Only One?

TwistNMx

Hey,
I just wanted to share with you and find out if anyone else goes through this with their hair.
It is an absolute 'must' that I wash my hair every couple of days or it becomes itchy which leads to sores after scratching.
This has been the case for many years now.
I just tried waiting a week again before washing to see if anything has changed.
Well, it hasn't. Now my scalp is sore and I have to wash it again tomorrow so that it will feel healed.
Another thing...I use oil on my hair. If I use "any type" of oil on my scalp, it becomes very itchy.
Am I the only person who goes through this?
Thanks
HP

Before I started using KeraCare Dry & Itchy, I used to scratch so hard, my scalp would be raw. But now that never happens! :yep: It still gets itchy sometimes, but just in one spot and I just scratch for 3 seconds then I'm fine. Whereas before I'd scratch for a ridiculously long time and it was like, the more I scratched the itchier it got. It drove me nuts!

But seriously, I'd definitely recommend KeraCare Dry & Itchy. It's really helped me. My scalps nowhere near perfect now, but it's definitely a VAST improvement.

I wash my hair nearly every day. When I don't, my scalp starts to itch and becomes uncomfortable. The only oil I use on my scalp is a pre-poo oil that I massage in and then wash out after 5-10 minutes.

I've read somewhere that you can train your scalp to go longer between washes. I haven't felt compelled to try this though because my hair can't really carry a style from day to day and it looks better when I wash often.

I wash my hair nearly every day. When I don't, my scalp starts to itch and becomes uncomfortable. The only oil I use on my scalp is a pre-poo oil that I massage in and then wash out after 5-10 minutes.

I've read somewhere that you can train your scalp to go longer between washes. I haven't felt compelled to try this though because my hair can't really carry a style from day to day and it looks better when I wash often.

I wondered about that because years ago I used to be able to get by at least 1 week...but never again.
I use oil to pre-poo also, but I mix it with conditioner.
Thank you for your input. :yep:

Before I started using KeraCare Dry & Itchy, I used to scratch so hard, my scalp would be raw. But now that never happens! :yep: It still gets itchy sometimes, but just in one spot and I just scratch for 3 seconds then I'm fine. Whereas before I'd scratch for a ridiculously long time and it was like, the more I scratched the itchier it got. It drove me nuts!

But seriously, I'd definitely recommend KeraCare Dry & Itchy. It's really helped me. My scalps nowhere near perfect now, but it's definitely a VAST improvement.

I keep hearing about the KeraCare products. I did not know they have something for Dry and Itchy hair. My hair isn't dry during the day though...I keep it moisturized, but I do get the itchies if I don't wash often.
I tend to lean toward more natural products for shampooing, though I will keep the thought in mind.
Thanks for your input. :yep:

Me too. I wash or co-wash everyday. I can go a couple of days, but long about day three, my scalp itches like crazy. I just think of it the same as I would washing the rest of my body on a daily basis.

I'm really quite surprised because I've been with LHCF for a long time now and wasn't aware of other people experiencing this issue.

Anyone else? :look:

You are not the only one. My hair knows when it is time to wash. Like today is wash day and it itched all the way home from work. I can't go longer than 3-4 days.

I was just like you when I was natural, except for the oil part. my scalp had to be oiled within 24 hours of wetting it or all heck breaks loose. I had to cw every few days. Now relaxed, when I washed every two weeks, my scalp would go crazy. My then stylist told me to wash once a week and twice a week if working out. I have a dry, sensitive, scalp. I have been using Alter Ego Garlic Hot oil treatment on my scalp since may and my scalp is basically normal, but I still have to oil it right after washing. Have you ever tried aloe vera on your scalp? I find it very soothing and I like mixing it with a little jojoba. I use Lily of the Desert food grade aloe vera gel from whole foods. If my scalp didn't like oil, I would try the gel on my scalp for comfort.

Hey,
I just wanted to share with you and find out if anyone else goes through this with their hair.
It is an absolute 'must' that I wash my hair every couple of days or it becomes itchy which leads to sores after scratching.
I just tried waiting a week again before washing to see if anything has changed.
Well, it hasn't. Now my scalp is sore and I have to wash it again tomorrow so that it will feel healed.
Another thing...I use oil on my hair. If I use "any type" of oil on my scalp, it becomes very itchy.
Thanks
HP

Hey!!!!

Nope you are not the onle one :yep:

I had the identical problem.

I dont think I could have explaind it better.
It use to really bug me. I didnt know what to do about it.
And then I decided to use what I would normally identify as 'A white persons shampoo'....LOL...did I say that...I'm totally not prejudice, my BF is white.

Anyhoo. He had been using Head-n-Shoulder's Dry formula. It worked like a charm.

I am however getting ready to switch
shampoos, because I have been experiencing shedding.
The shampoo I am switching to is suppose to give me the same experience as Head-n-Shoulder's Dry formula and also reduce shedding
it is called Nizoral AD Shampoo.

PM if you need more information!

I'm wondering if it's the product being used to wash the scalp and hair or if it's psychological.:spinning:

I started out on this journey washing and deep conditioning every 3 to 4 days (Cathy Howse method) and if I don't, my scalp will itch. It's possible I've "trained" my scalp to prepare to be cleaned after a certain number of days or I just need to use a different shampoo.

Since you say you use all natural product to wash with, could your scalp be allergic to one of the natural ingredients? Have you switched to a different natural product?

I'm wondering if it's the product being used to wash the scalp and hair or if it's psychological.:spinning:

I started out on this journey washing and deep conditioning every 3 to 4 days (Cathy Howse method) and if I don't, my scalp will itch. It's possible I've "trained" my scalp to prepare to be cleaned after a certain number of days or I just need to use a different shampoo.

Since you say you use all natural product to wash with, could your scalp be allergic to one of the natural ingredients? Have you switched to a different natural product?

:wave:Hi Isis,
Psychological... :nono: Nope.
I alternate my shampoos and they don't bother me, so no allergies here. Actually my scalp is relieved once I wash my hair and if I wait 3 days, I'm really pushing it at that point.
I had to use aloe vera gel this a.m. just to cool off my scalp.
HP

Hey!!!!

Nope you are not the onle one :yep:
I had the identical problem.

I dont think I could have explaind it better.
Thanks.
It use to really bug me. I didnt know what to do about it.
And then I decided to use what I would normally identify as 'A white persons shampoo'....LOL...did I say that...I'm totally not prejudice, my BF is white.
My husband is white too. I have no problem with that...LOL
He conditions his hair more than shampooing.

Anyhoo. He had been using Head-n-Shoulder's Dry formula. It worked like a charm.
Head n Shoulders? I think it has sodium laurel sulfate....thanx but no thanx. I have more problems with certain ingredients.
I am however getting ready to switch
shampoos, because I have been experiencing shedding.
The shampoo I am switching to is suppose to give me the same experience as Head-n-Shoulder's Dry formula and also reduce shedding
it is called Nizoral AD Shampoo.
Good luck in your switch.
HP
PM if you need more information!
I'll send you a PM when I get a moment...ok?

I was just like you when I was natural, except for the oil part. my scalp had to be oiled within 24 hours of wetting it or all heck breaks loose.
Real interesting...
I had to cw every few days. Now relaxed, when I washed every two weeks, my scalp would go crazy. My then stylist told me to wash once a week and twice a week if working out. I have a dry, sensitive, scalp. I have been using Alter Ego Garlic Hot oil treatment on my scalp since may and my scalp is basically normal, but I still have to oil it right after washing. Have you ever tried aloe vera on your scalp?
Yes. I used aloe this a.m. and it helped.
I find it very soothing and I like mixing it with a little jojoba. I use Lily of the Desert food grade aloe vera gel from whole foods. If my scalp didn't like oil, I would try the gel on my scalp for comfort.
Thanks for your input.

My scalp starts itching after 3 days. I've been trying to hold out for 4 days and I'm driving myself crazy! :drunk:

My scalp starts itching after 3 days. I've been trying to hold out for 4 days and I'm driving myself crazy! :drunk:
OMG!
Hello Sareca :wave:
I've been trying to reach you. Can't send PMs. I don't know why I suddenly can't send anyone PMs. I was told I should be on the list or something.
Anyway, does washing every 2 days disqualify me for the low manipulation challenge?
Is there room to add me to your special list?
High Priestess :luv2:

This was me. My scalp just was on time with the itching saying wash me. Yet I don't know what happened after that. I stopped washing every 3-4 days and for the past year my scalp doesn't do that. Maybe it's from washing to often that the scalp is itchy and really is missing something the shampoo is providing for it. I don't know. Just a guess.

Me too. I wash or co-wash everyday. I can go a couple of days, but long about day three, my scalp itches like crazy. I just think of it the same as I would washing the rest of my body on a daily basis.
:scratchchHmmm. I never thought of it that way?
Some people can go without soapy hot water to their bodies for a day. I'm sure not one of them. :lol:

I have to wash AT LEAST once a week. But I went thru a period where I HAD to wash every 3 days because of itching and burning. A switch to Nizoral shampoo helped me cut back on the need to HAVE to do so.

There's a lot of people who need to increase washing, but don't want to have to style their hair again, so they just scratch for 2 weeks until wash day:grin:.

OMG!
Hello Sareca :wave:
I've been trying to reach you. Can't send PMs. I don't know why I suddenly can't send anyone PMs. I was told I should be on the list or something.
Anyway, does washing every 2 days disqualify me for the low manipulation challenge?
Is there room to add me to your special list?
High Priestess :luv2:

Hey HP! :sneakyhug: You can absolutely join the lo-mani challenge. You can wash your hair every day if you want. Just no combing, brushing or detangling.

Oh and I got your PM. I replied. Did you get it back?

My scalp starts to itch after 3-4 days. I guess it's just trained to expect to be washed around that time. A stylist had told me to stop washing my hair so often and do it every two weeks. I tried that and by the end my scalp was itching like crazy and I had a lot of flakes. So I went back to washing every 3 days after that.

I have the same crazy problem...my scalp will start itching very bad in certain spots if I don't scratch and/or wash. Now, I take my fingertips and vigorously "massage" the area, it helps. I also wash my hair with clarifying shampoo mixed with peppermint oil and rosemary oil bi-weekly...it helps!

Hey HP! :sneakyhug: You can absolutely join the lo-mani challenge. You can wash your hair every day if you want. Just no combing, brushing or detangling.

Oh and I got your PM. I replied. Did you get it back?
Got it...thanx :sneakyhug:
I will have to work on the no combing part. :yep:

Nope, you're not. My scalp has always been this way.

It's itching as we speak and I just washed on... actually i don't remember when I last washed :blush: But it has to be sometime in the last 1.5 weeks...

Hey,
Thanks
HP

Yes, this is very true for me. I cannot go a week without washing my hair or it will be itchy and sore just as you describe. I too have always washed my hair a minimum of every three days. I started this in college. And I've been out of college for a "minute". As a kid, my mother washed my hair everyday. This is what works best for me. However, I wash both my daughters now once a week, and it does not nother either of them.

Also, can't use oil on the scalp either-especially Olive Oil. This makes my scalp SCREAM. I can only apply it to the ends. Oddly enough, WGO doesn't do this to me.

Yes, this is very true for me. I cannot go a week without washing my hair or it will be itchy and sore just as you describe. I too have always washed my hair a minimum of every three days. I started this in college. And I've been out of college for a "minute". As a kid, my mother washed my hair everyday. This is what works best for me. However, I wash both my daughters now once a week, and it does not nother either of them.

Also, can't use oil on the scalp either-especially Olive Oil. This makes my scalp SCREAM. I can only apply it to the ends. Oddly enough, WGO doesn't do this to me.

I also don't oil my scalp, not because it bothers it, but because I can already feel the sebum on my scalp which is already sticky so putting oil on top of that grosses me out :perplexed

This is usually 3-4 days after I wash my hair

Thank you for sharing.
btw, I like your quote.

Back