Am I running into protein overload?

mrshicks2002

I think my hair might be going into protein overload. I am using protein for a DC everyweek followed by a moisturizing conditoner.

I could comb my hair and I see hairs on the floor where its not shedding because it doesnt have the bulb at the end of the strand, but its just broken hairs. I also can take strands of my hair when its not wet and it will pop. I tried to do a search for the hair strand test, but couldnt find it, So I took 4 pieces of hair from four different area and put in water. One sunk, Two floated and the other strand half sunk and half floated.

So could someone tell me what this sounds like and what I need to do.

Thanks!

Sounds like it....I usually dont do a protein treatment more than once or twice a month...you just need to find your balance between moisture and protein.

Sounds like it....I usually dont do a protein treatment more than once or twice a month...you just need to find your balance between moisture and protein.

Thanks. So I guess I might just need to go back to using protein one week and moisturizing the next and hopefully this will help.

I usually use a light protein treament on 3rd, 5th, 7th week after a touch up but I have to follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner. Pluse I use Elasta QP Intense as a leave in.

I think my hair might be going into protein overload. I am using protein for a DC everyweek followed by a moisturizing conditoner.

I could comb my hair and I see hairs on the floor where its not shedding because it doesnt have the bulb at the end of the strand, but its just broken hairs. I also can take strands of my hair when its not wet and it will pop. I tried to do a search for the hair strand test, but couldnt find it, So I took 4 pieces of hair from four different area and put in water. One sunk, Two floated and the other strand half sunk and half floated.

So could someone tell me what this sounds like and what I need to do.

Thanks!
The same thing happens to me when I overdo protein or need to clarify. So, I clarify, DC, and skip my next scheduled protein.

It does sound like you've used too much protein. I have a habit of doing the same thing. I find that a nice softening moisturizing conditioner usually helps after a protein overdose. I like keracare humecto, joico moisturizing cond. (don't know the exact name), and the generic nexxus humectress. These usually help to soften my hair back up. It's hard, but try to keep the protein down to once or twice a month, unless your hair is falling out.

Thank you so much ladies I really appreciate the replies. Now that I know whats going on I will use a protein dc only twice a month.

It does sound like you've used too much protein. I have a habit of doing the same thing. I find that a nice softening moisturizing conditioner usually helps after a protein overdose. I like keracare humecto, joico moisturizing cond. (don't know the exact name), and the generic nexxus humectress. These usually help to soften my hair back up. It's hard, but try to keep the protein down to once or twice a month, unless your hair is falling out.

ITA. I use humectress on dry hair with heat to correct protein overload.

hi,
what protein tx are you using weekly. just curious.
thanks

I was using Cathys UBH DC with protein, following a moisturizing DC.
So I guess that even though I was still following up with a moisturizing DC after, it look like my hair just doesnt agree with protein weekly.:nono:

So its back to using a moisturizing DC one week and protein the next. I was doing this at first and changed because I thought I was still able to balance with both in the same week, but thats not looking so good.:ohwell:

So I guess that even though I was still following up with a moisturizing DC after, it look like my hair just doesnt agree with protein weekly.:nono:

So its back to using a moisturizing DC one week and protein the next. I was doing this at first and changed because I thought I was still able to balance with both in the same week, but thats not looking so good.:ohwell:

:yep: :yep: :yep: It's really important to discover your own hair's balance.

I found Cathy Howse's UBH DC a strong/medium protein treatement. I used to dilute this with some Humecto every time I used this (which was once every two weeks - the other week I just used straight Humecto).
That UBH is an excellent product, but its very easy to overdo protein with it.
So really experiment with it and see how often you need to use it.

Wasn't there a rule about proteins? Like u only use it after every 3 deep conditioning treatments, unless ur hair is really damaged? :ohwell: I think so. This is what I used to do.

You might not need to do it that often. I had the same problem but silver lotus (my super great big sis :superman:) set me straight. So right now it has been two weeks since I dc with protein and my hair is just fine. I am gonna just do a little bit of protein this week, but nothing heavy. That is her in the smilie if you had not guessed.

Back