AM I MOISTURIZING WRONG??

Victoria44

hello, i've been transitioning for 10 months now, and its been going pretty smoothly, hardly any breakage. However recently, even though i've been DCing once a week and co-washing once a week, my hair refuses to stay moisturized for more than an hour !:wallbash:

After every wash or co wash i always use:
1. cantu leave in
2. olive oil moisturizing lotion
3. seal with miracle 8 oil
4. fantasia IC heat protectant (for blow out)

after every wash i ALWAYS blow out my hair because i have no idea how to style it if i don't blow it out. May that be the problem even though i've been blow drying it weekly for months now?? or maybe its the changing weather?

can i have some opinions, on how to combat this dryness problem?! should i just load on way more moisturizing lotion? protein treatment? stop blow drying?

HELP PLEASE :perplexed!

btw, i'm mostly 4b, with course strands

Last edited:
i would stop blow drying and try a better leave in. cantu doesnt moisturize it just keeps the moisture in for a short amount of time in my opinion so maybe your hair doesnt like cones. as far as styles you can try bunning and rockin some waves in fron, lace wigs, half wigs, bantu knot outs, twist outs, flat twist outs, etc

For me, when a moisture issue arises, my initial reactions are: Do I need to clarify/chelate, or use porosity control? Did I incorporate enough protein into my regimen in order to facilitate moisture retention? Is my protein-moisture balance off?

Typically, the solution will lie within one of these. HTH.

I agree you probably need to cut out the blow drying. Can you do a wash n go hair style or a bun? From what I have read cantu has protein. Therefore, it is not a moisturizer. Protein is not going to moisturize your hair so no you don't want to load up on it. Something like Aubrey Organics White Camelia conditioner or Paul Mitchell - The Conditioner are moisturizing leave ins. I see that you are a newbie. The best thing that you can do is start reading the ingredients on your products to understand which products have protein and which ones do not. Also search this forum (I know the search function is not working that great) for more ideas for moisturizing leave ins. Good luck.

Back