Am I Heavy Handed or is Coconut Oil...

MizzBrit

greasy as heck? i experimented with some in my hair for the first time and every time i touch my hair, my hand comes out all shiny and greasy:ohwell:
i refuse to give up using it since i have a big 32 ounce jar of it and it has so many benefits.plus it adds a wonderful sheen to my natural hair. maybe im just heavy handed with it?! how much do you use? what are other ways to use it other than sealing?

Last edited:
I find that it's really easy to be heavy handed with coconut oil without even realizing it.

I mainly use mine as a prepoo...I apply it to my dry hair either a few hours or a day before I plan to wash. I always end up using more than I should and it runs down my neck lol. Generally if I use it after a wash on wet hair it's easier to not use too much.

I put mine in a squirt bottle, you have more control that way. A squirt bottle that has a pointed end cap.

Last edited:
it actually sprays out a squirt bottle?
YES!!! I put some in my Miso mister spray bottle (the one with pressure) and it sprayed out. It helps with being less heavy handed. If you don't put too much, your hair will be shiny, yet when you run your hands over your hair, there's no oil on your hands at all. Basically, put on what you feel is "way to little", close the jar, and WALK AWAY. That helps me. I'm learning too.

I try to put as much of that stuff as I can in my hair as a pre poo.
Ever since I've been using it by hair has been much easier to handle.

YES!!! I put some in my Miso mister spray bottle (the one with pressure) and it sprayed out. It helps with being less heavy handed. If you don't put too much, your hair will be shiny, yet when you run your hands over your hair, there's no oil on your hands at all. Basically, put on what you feel is "way to little", close the jar, and WALK AWAY. That helps me. I'm learning too.
i will definitely try this:grin:

Well mine is still liquidfy so i just dip my fingers in rub my hand then squeeze down the length and/or fingercomb through. I start light then gradually work my way up. using it in a butter like shea and the like may help cut down on greasiness for you.

Mine works really good in my shea butter mixtures. But I also sometimes use it when I undo my twists or bantu knots. I use just a little on my fingertips when seperating. A little definitely goes a long way.

hahaha I love coconut oil and even though it goes on kinda greasy it should absorb... but careful using it in the cooler months. It hardens in the cold and some have reported their hair snapping if they touch it before it softens again once inside.

I like coconut oil in the summer and castor oil in the winter.

I find that it's really easy to be heavy handed with coconut oil without even realizing it.

I mainly use mine as a prepoo...I apply it to my dry hair either a few hours or a day before I plan to wash. I always end up using more than I should and it runs down my neck lol. Generally if I use it after a wash on wet hair it's easier to not use too much.

Exactly.
I can't put this on dry hair. A little bit is much too much for me. I let it sit (on dry or damp hair) then clarify. This is my perfect DC experience.

It has to be heavy-handedness. I put a dab of coconut oil on my hair every night before bed when wearing it straight. It never feels greasy. Almost like my hair absorbs it.

you're right. it can be greasy when used as a leave-in. a little goes a longgggg way.

if you need to use what you bought up...try using it as a hot oil treatment, pre-poo or as an oil rinse after your shampoo (rinse out with conditioner).

Back